Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT -Oakridge BBQ closing the doors-OT

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,578
    @HeavyG- Jess Pryles and her balance sheet may be a good indicator.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SonVolt said:
    I may start a thread attempting to reverse engineer the best of Oakridge rubs. The whole rub market is a scam, Dizzy Pig & Meat Church included. Most are sugar / crap. Toss in some instant espresso and everyone loses their minds. 

Yeah, but oakridge is inspired by god soooo……
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,045
    SonVolt said:
    I may start a thread attempting to reverse engineer the best of Oakridge rubs. The whole rub market is a scam, Dizzy Pig & Meat Church included. Most are sugar / crap. Toss in some instant espresso and everyone loses their minds. 

A year, year-and-a-half ago I decided to quit buying pre-mixed rubs.  I had purchased a large 8-pack of rubs from a company very popular here, and sampled them every morning, adding them to my mostly-bland cheese omelettes, one by one.  Even worn-out retirement-age tastebuds like mine could start to find preferences, and figure out what "that" flavor was, what it would taste good on, and whether I liked it or not.  And the more minor "hints" in a rub (lavender, mexican vs italian dried oregano, "a touch of Massacar vanilla", etc) kinda fly over my head, so why worry about them?  (even in my younger days in New Mexico, I could taste the difference between guajillo and ancho chiles (still can) but the differences between Hatch, Big Jim, NM Green... not so much).  
    When I was in a winetasting club earlier, I was one of the better members at identifying different red varieties, so there were some taste buds going on there.  
    YMMV.  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• Legume said:
    Well, along with Oakridge, buy from your other favorites.  They are likely struggling too and just haven’t had to call it yet.
    Hmmm…Chris at Dizzy posts about disc golf, his awesome employees, jumps on multiple forums to help people out and generally has a positive vibe. He is also widely considered among those who have met him to be a great dude. Matt at Meat Church talks about “hand cramping cold” Miller lite (sponsored) and is funny as hell, Mike (oakridge) talks about election conspiracies and ties it to his business website And it’s all “Big Tech’s” fault. 
  • Speaking truth to power is rare, it takes a brave man to flush his rub empire.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,210
    Speaking truth to power is rare, it takes a brave man to flush his rub empire.
    And his rubs didn't even clump.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• kl8ton said:
    Focker, while hitting on a grocery store cashier, just felt a great disturbance in the force and looked up as if to find an answer . . . 
    Ho Lee Fuk. Im dying. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,215
    kl8ton said:
    Focker, while hitting on a grocery store cashier, just felt a great disturbance in the force and looked up as if to find an answer . . . 
    I miss Focker. That dude could cook
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho said:
    kl8ton said:
    His take on the holiday fruitcake was incredible.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,510
    anyone receive their order yet?
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,316
    No. He probably spit in mine. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    Tspud1 said:

I just checked my order on their website and all it tells me is my order is "Batch 4".
    No idea what that means as far as time/deliverywise.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,506
    Tspud1 said:
     Nope. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, Med BGE, BGE Chiminea, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited November 2022
    Tspud1 said:
    Nope.  No delivery notification or tracking info either.

Batch 2B

• Ozzie_Isaac
    WeberWho said:
    kl8ton said:
    Could he?  I don't recall any cooks.  Any memorable ones you could share?

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,578
    No additional order info here.  Batch 2B as well.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    kl8ton said:

I'd have to do go back and track old posts if you're talking online. (Too much on my plate today to go and do that) I've seen him do it in person. I know some of you didn't like him but that can be said for other members here as well. I've seen people write on the form, "You've never met him in person" or "He'd give you the shirt off his back" when talking about a forum member who someone might not like. That's no different with Focker. He's one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet. I always enjoyed his posts. I try to get along with everyone here. I might not agree with everyone but life's too short to hold grudges or get into cat fights. Especially when it comes to petty things online. If people are getting butthurt on a bbq forum your life can't be all that bad....
    This was kind of my view of him.  I don't have any ill will towards him.  He had occasional out bursts (anyone who has been here for a while probably has).  I just remember all the fighting at the end, and then poof, he was gone.

Admittedly, my memory of a lot of the goings on is short.  I usually just recall a few highlights/lowlights.

• WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    kl8ton said:

I'd have to do go back and track old posts if you're talking online. (Too much on my plate today to go and do that) I've seen him do it in person. I know some of you didn't like him but that can be said for other members here as well. I've seen people write on the form, "You've never met him in person" or "He'd give you the shirt off his back" when talking about a forum member who someone might not like. That's no different with Focker. He's one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet. I always enjoyed his posts. I try to get along with everyone here. I might not agree with everyone but life's too short to hold grudges or get into cat fights. Especially when it comes to petty things online. If people are getting butthurt on a bbq forum your life can't be all that bad....
    "If yer gonna denigrate..."

I probably got into it with Focker as much as anyone.  It's funny but I had forgotten that his forum picture was a mounted chihuahua, which was supposed to be a way to mock me and a few others here.  That always seemed kind of childish to me, but whatever.  

Then there was the infamous clumped rub thread, where he slammed Meat Church's product for being too clumpy, including a photo of it in the trash.  That was interesting!  The reference to that by @BuckeyeFork is what started all of this here. 

I am sure he was and still is a super nice guy in person though, I don't have any doubts about that.  Most people here are.  Happy Friday!  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,806
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    kl8ton said:

I probably got into it with Focker as much as anyone.  It's funny but I had forgotten that his forum picture was a mounted chihuahua, which was supposed to be a way to mock me and a few others here.  That always seemed kind of childish to me, but whatever.  

Then there was the infamous clumped rub thread, where he slammed Meat Church's product for being too clumpy, including a photo of it in the trash.  That was interesting!  The reference to that by @BuckeyeFork is what started all of this here. 

I am sure he was and still is a super nice guy in person though, I don't have any doubts about that.  Most people here are.  Happy Friday!  
    BBQ folk are the best kinda folks. I learned that when I started participating on the BBQ Brethren, then here, cooking at a few eggfests, and after meeting a number of forum denizens in  person. So many people have done various kind things for me, and I've tried to do the same in return, for others. 

But, if one chooses to be an a-hole, then one should fully expect to be treated like one. "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" sorta thing. That's how life works. 

At the end of the day, its only the interwebz. We'll all get over it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    caliking said:
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    kl8ton said:

BBQ folk are the best kinda folks. I learned that when I started participating on the BBQ Brethren, then here, cooking at a few eggfests, and after meeting a number of forum denizens in  person. So many people have done various kind things for me, and I've tried to do the same in return, for others. 

But, if one chooses to be an a-hole, then one should fully expect to be treated like one. "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" sorta thing. That's how life works. 

At the end of the day, its only the interwebz. We'll all get over it. 
    Excuse me.  Don't tell me what to get over.  Look at Dr. Cali over here, psycho analyzing us.

J/K

• Ooh the dislikers are out in force!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ooh the dislikers are out in force!
    Looks like we picked up a 3rd member too

• Ooh the dislikers are out in force!
    Moe, Larry AND Curly?
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,444
    Moe, Larry AND Curly?
    It is impressive that they went ahead and disliked Cali’s “Happy Veterans Day, thank you for your service” post.  I can only imagine the person conflicted, going back and forth between “Hitting dislike will stick it to the Libs” and “But this is supporting the troops” - before finally pushing the post button after 20 minutes of debate…

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Acn said:
    Moe, Larry AND Curly?
    It is impressive that they went ahead and disliked Cali’s “Happy Veterans Day, thank you for your service” post.  I can only imagine the person conflicted, going back and forth between “Hitting dislike will stick it to the Libs” and “But this is supporting the troops” - before finally pushing the post button after 20 minutes of debate…

Yep.  To the disliker who hit the button on the Veteran’s Day post: you are an ahole and a coward.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,045
    Some folk be a bit butt-hurt after Tuesday.  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,806
    Acn said:
    Moe, Larry AND Curly?
     Nah. That dude can't hold his d!ck that long, let alone a lucid thought. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.