Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT -Oakridge BBQ closing the doors-OT

Comments

• Buckwoody Egger
    Buckwoody Egger Posts: 747
    edited November 2022
    Posted a little and then edited to remove, not worth it.  The video is a non starter for me, something else is the real story. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 23,130
    edited November 2022
    WeberWho said:
    I still have no idea what he’s saying. Did left-leaning Google kill his business? What’s with all the free speech stuff? Did he say something that went viral or got him in some kind of trouble? I feel like I will never get those 17 minutes back. I guess I’ll just Google it and see wtf he is talking about. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Posted a little and then edited to remove, not worth it.  The video is a non starter for me, something else is the real story. 
    100% this right? What was that ?
  • WeberWho said:
    Wow, had no idea that was going on in the background.  Truly sad.  Best rubs I have ever used.  It is going to be like starting over for me, but that pales in comparison to Mike and the seven families his company supported.
    Asking seriously, what is sad? The email was fvcking dumb but he kept saying Google shut him down and all the talk about free speech. I honestly have no idea what any of that means. I could care less of his political or religious beliefs. I like his stuff and he has always been super cool to me when I emailed or asked a question. I just have no idea what he’s saying cut his business in half. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    edited November 2022
    I have heard of OakridgeBBQ before but never purchased any of the products as they just seemed too pricey and I have dozens of other rubs I use. When I heard they were shutting down and so many folks here and some other places raving about a few of their rubs I thought I should go ahead and get some just so I can say that I tried them. Spent over $100 between their site and amazon.
    I had no idea who the owner of the company was and I wouldn't have cared one way or another to learn the owner's last name is Trump. I'm not surprised to hear that he did receive some emails from folks asking about that tho. But I'm hearing him say that a few emails from folks asking about that and whether he is part of THE Trump family is one of the reasons his business was going thru a rough patch. That "woke-ism" and "cancel culture" are to blame? That "Big Tech" was singling him out to be crushed? Did he get that idea from QAnon or a Joe Rogan show?
    I think it is important to note that that video is over a year old. It's also important to note that in his email of a couple days ago here is what he was saying is the reason for his business shutting down:

"Operating a micro business at the tip of the spear of quality is inherently risky, and a down economy most certainly exacerbates that risk. The ever-rising cost of goods coupled with the weakening of the global economy has resulted in Oakridge BBQ experiencing two consecutive years of double-digit losses and the collapse of our worldwide wholesale-to-dealer book of business thereby making it economically impractical to manufacture OakridgeBBQ rubs and spices. Unfortunately, it does not look like these economic strains will ease for quite some time. Therefore, Oakridge BBQ LLC will cease operations as soon as our current spice supply runs out, or December 31, 2022, whichever comes first."

I have no idea what the real story is but I doubt that "woke-ism" and "cancel culture" had anything more than a negligible impact on his company financially.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Knock it off snowflake, you know cancel culture when you see it. This man’s life and business are ruined.  I hope all y’all are happy now that he can’t build his dream home.  Let’s go Brandon.
  • Small businesses without debt can flex way down.  Great product, obvious deficiencies in other areas. 
  • Small businesses without debt can flex way down.  Great product, obvious deficiencies in other areas. 
    But it’s clearly google’s fault. 
  • Definitely has the blaming someone else gene, regardless of last name. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,210
    Did a bit more digging. Oakridge BBQ was removed from search results for a while and then lowered way down in results when it did show up.  However, based on his own video it was partially self-inflicted.  He hosted a whole series of links to questionable articles about election fraud on a page that was hosted on the same domain as his business.  Seems like that was cleared up eventually and may not be related to the final demise.

https://youtu.be/ItuvSZgB1yY

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• What was his repeat customer strategy to offset?  Expecting previous customers to google “wtf did I order a year ago?”  He has too much integrity to sell made in china bastardized versions of the us flag for bumpers, butts, and cb antennas?  The pillow guy was killin it during the same time frame and his excuse is three emails?  Again, great product. Hope he wakes up and finds a cost model to stay in business. 
  • Did a bit more digging. Oakridge BBQ was removed from search results for a while and then lowered way down in results when it did show up.  However, based on his own video it was partially self-inflicted.  He hosted a whole series of links to questionable articles about election fraud on a page that was hosted on the same domain as his business.  Seems like that was cleared up eventually and may not be related to the final demise.

https://youtu.be/ItuvSZgB1yY
    Good find. Thanks. Weird story haha. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,052
    Damn, this just took a turn away from the expected and toward the drama.  I’ve never tried their rubs, I’ve wanted to, but why start now if it’s going away.  These posts saved me some money.
    Not a felon
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,764
    Regardless of how or why, never used prior. Won’t start now due to it being unavailable in the not so distant future. 
  • Knock it off snowflake, you know cancel culture when you see it. This man’s life and business are ruined.  I hope all y’all are happy now that he can’t build his dream home.  Let’s go Brandon.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,806
    I wonder if that was a half-arsed, not-so-well-thought-out attempt at trying to rile up the base, ala Penzeys a few years ago.

But, ended up coming across like Ye instead.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,119
    caliking said:
    I wonder if that was a half-arsed, not-so-well-thought-out attempt at trying to rile up the base, ala Penzeys a few years ago.

I stopped buying from Penzey’s because of their political emails. Wouldn’t matter what side they’re on…I don’t need their politics, I just wanted to order spices. It’s their company and they have the right to post whatever they want. But don’t blame someone for calling them out.
    A company should think about their employees and customers first before they bring politics into company emails sent to customers.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,316
    What a weird customer inquiry to draw public attention to. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    SonVolt said:

It plays into the perceived grievances that has become typical of that group/mindset.
    That his problem really turned out to be more a case of an "own goal" is just funny.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Photo Egg said:
    WeberWho said:
    Wow
    Hate mail. He calls that hate mail? He would never survive this forum.
    You could say it was inappropriate for a potential customer to question his political view before buying from his company. But the email was more a direct polite question than actual hate mail. I certainly wouldn’t make a video about it.
    I will miss their bbq rubs and feel sorry for his employees who are left unemployed no matter the reasons.

I admit, that was seriously weak hate mail.  He should join an HOA board.  The hate mail there is strong, and it comes from neighbors.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,506
    Hmm..Weird video indeed.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, Med BGE, BGE Chiminea, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,052
    “I support Trump, but how dare you ask if I’m related to him or ask if I support him”

Customers gonna do what customers gonna do, but I’ve never been in sales.
    Not a felon
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Legume said:
    “I support Trump, but how dare you ask if I’m related to him or ask if I support him”

Customers gonna do what customers gonna do, but I’ve never been in sales.
    Problem with sales is the people.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,119
    HeavyG said:
    SonVolt said:

It plays into the perceived grievances that has become typical of that group/mindset.
    That his problem really turned out to be more a case of an "own goal" is just funny.

But not as weird as his Google Conspiracy. Wonder if Rudy Giuliani is representing him?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,510
    caliking said:
    ColtsFan said:
    Just got mine in. 

1lb of sweet rib
    1lb of chili mix
    6oz Jamaican jerk (great on wings)
    That Jamaican jerk is legit.  All there stuff is.  Also very little or no salt in most their rubs, so you can adjust the salt levels yourself.
    This is what I really appreciated about their rubs. Great flavors in all of them, but not turning your protein into a salt lick was key. 

The sampler packs used to make great stocking stuffers. 
    I have done them as gifts every year for several years in a row. Bummer 
    I always included one of theirs in the rub exchanges. Just across the state from me so I guess it qualified as local
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,510
    Photo Egg said:
    caliking said:

I stopped buying from Penzey’s because of their political emails. Wouldn’t matter what side they’re on…I don’t need their politics, I just wanted to order spices. It’s their company and they have the right to post whatever they want. But don’t blame someone for calling them out.
    A company should think about their employees and customers first before they bring politics into company emails sent to customers.
    And Michael Jordan said it best about people buying sneakers. should apply to most people and businesses
  • Photo Egg said:
    WeberWho said:
    Wow
    Hate mail. He calls that hate mail? He would never survive this forum.
    You could say it was inappropriate for a potential customer to question his political view before buying from his company. But the email was more a direct polite question than actual hate mail. I certainly wouldn’t make a video about it.
    I will miss their bbq rubs and feel sorry for his employees who are left unemployed no matter the reasons.

I admit, that was seriously weak hate mail.  He should join an HOA board.  The hate mail there is strong, and it comes from neighbors.
    Or spend an hour on here lol. 
  • I have to say that ‘these rubs were inspired by god” is a bit much as well. This guy is really out there. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,806
    I have to say that ‘these rubs were inspired by god” is a bit much as well. This guy is really out there. 
    Today I learned that God must be on a low sodium diet. Mike must know stuff that we don’t. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.