Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT -Oakridge BBQ closing the doors-OT

Options
Today's announcement:

"Dear Oakridge BBQ Customers, Fans and Supporters –

Operating a micro business at the tip of the spear of quality is inherently risky, and a down economy most certainly exacerbates that risk. The ever-rising cost of goods coupled with the weakening of the global economy has resulted in Oakridge BBQ experiencing two consecutive years of double-digit losses and the collapse of our worldwide wholesale-to-dealer book of business thereby making it economically impractical to manufacture Oakridge BBQ rubs and spices. Unfortunately, it does not look like these economic strains will ease for quite some time. Therefore, Oakridge BBQ LLC will cease operations as soon as our current spice supply runs out, or December 31, 2022, whichever comes first.

My decision to stick to my word and honor our industry leading commitment to quality and always – regardless of the cost – use the finest ingredients available undoubtedly attributed to our loss of profitability, but in hindsight I wouldn’t change a thing. I’ve stood firm on this commitment to our customers to the very end, and as the saying goes: “It’s better to burn out than to fade away.”
They made great rubs and spices.  
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited November 2022
    Options
    That's too bad. The owner is an active member over on the Brethren. He always seemed like a good guy. Wish him all the best in the future. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    Yup this sucks. Heading to their site now to stock up on a couple things 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• WeberWho
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Yup this sucks. Heading to their site now to stock up on a couple things 

The website crashed 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up @lousubcap

I made a quick pit stop on the way home from work. The BBQ shop owner said people are already freaking out. He's had emails and phone calls nonstop about it. 

Minnesota
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Well, along with Oakridge, buy from your other favorites.  They are likely struggling too and just haven’t had to call it yet.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Oak Ridge is pretty much all I use.  I am well stocked, but might order some more.  Great company, great product, hate to see it end this way.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    If their website keeps crashing you might be able to find some of what you want on amazon. I was able to snag a few bags there.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    If their website keeps crashing you might be able to find some of what you want on amazon. I was able to snag a few bags there.
    I was eventually able to get through.  Ordered 5# sweet rib rub and 2# texas red chilli mix.

Gonna really miss the sweet rib rub.  Used that exclusively on jalapeno poppers and pork shoulder for about 12 years.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    Glad I saw this in time to order more but hate to hear that. We have some favorites from them and a couple from dizzy pig and that’s pretty much all we use. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Got thru to the website again.  Will have to do another reload downstream.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    Just got mine in. 

1lb of sweet rib
    1lb of chili mix
    6oz Jamaican jerk (great on wings)
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    sad to hear this  :|
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Just got mine in. 

1lb of sweet rib
    1lb of chili mix
    That Jamaican jerk is legit.  All there stuff is.  Also very little or no salt in most their rubs, so you can adjust the salt levels yourself.
  • JohnfromKentucky
    Options
    Just ordered some, never had them.

1# Dominator Sweet Rub
    1# Black Ops Brisket rub
    1# Game bird & Chicken Rub
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Just ordered some, never had them.

1# Dominator Sweet Rub
    1# Black Ops Brisket rub
    1# Game bird & Chicken Rub
    They are top quality across the board.  The black ops is the best brisket rub I have found.  I can mess around and get something good but that "takes the worry out of being close."
    You will be justly rewarded but regrettably only for the very near-term.  
  • fairchase
    Options
    I got the email . I hate this !
    Their 2 must haves for me were the Santa Maria , and the Carne Crosta .
    iI have found nothing even close to these 2.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Just got my order in, Santa Maria, Carne, SPOGO, Dominator & Pork/Chicken
    My favorite rub company
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Dang. I haven’t bought commercial rub in a while but I just loaded up again. Had to give it all one last spin. 

Competition beef and pork 
    game bird
    habanero death dust (a must) 
    secret weapon (for a Christmas gift)
    jah love jerk. Never had it so wanted to try something new. 

Really sad to see these guys go. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Nooooooo....

I'll see what I can snag tomorrow...

Been using black ops and habanero death dust...
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    ColtsFan said:
    Just got mine in. 

1lb of sweet rib
    1lb of chili mix
    That Jamaican jerk is legit.  All there stuff is.  Also very little or no salt in most their rubs, so you can adjust the salt levels yourself.
    This is what I really appreciated about their rubs. Great flavors in all of them, but not turning your protein into a salt lick was key. 

The sampler packs used to make great stocking stuffers. 
    I have done them as gifts every year for several years in a row. Bummer 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    I generally feel the rub market is a scam, but I'm truly sad to see this one go. The Carne Crostata & Santa Maria I tried were a level above anything else on the shelf. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I was eventually able to get through.  Ordered 5# sweet rib rub and 2# texas red chilli mix.

Gonna really miss the sweet rib rub.  Used that exclusively on jalapeno poppers and pork shoulder for about 12 years.

So it was you that got all the Sweet Rib Rub... Dangit!!!

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    Placed an order on 8/22 and 10/26.  During that 2 month period, they processed 673 orders. Placed another order again today based on the news and they have processed 739 orders in 9 days.  Product is flying out the door.
    South Buffalo, New York
  • WeberWho
    Options

Minnesota
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Just put my order in. Man, it felt so sad. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    Thanks for the heads-up. Just ordered some Santa Maria. Good stuff.

Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Wow, had no idea that was going on in the background.  Truly sad.  Best rubs I have ever used.  It is going to be like starting over for me, but that pales in comparison to Mike and the seven families his company supported.
  • WeberWho
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Wow, had no idea that was going on in the background.  Truly sad.  Best rubs I have ever used.  It is going to be like starting over for me, but that pales in comparison to Mike and the seven families his company supported.
    Yeah that's messed up. 

Minnesota