Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Major hurricane

Options
1235»

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Weather man, best job in the world. Wrong 100% of the time, still getting paid
    When I was in college I took an elective course called "weather and climate". It was taught by one of our local tv weathermen. His
    opening line in class day 1 was. "If you see me on tv saying anything and it's further than 24hrs out. I'm full of shite"

Funny they would say that when, in fact, these days a 7 day forecast can be accurate about 80% of the time and 5 day forecasts can be accurate about 90% of the time.
    Given all the variables involved I find current weather forecasting practices to be pretty amazing.
    Well this was almost 20 years ago so I'm sure forecasting has improved since then with new technology.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Weather man, best job in the world. Wrong 100% of the time, still getting paid
    When I was in college I took an elective course called "weather and climate". It was taught by one of our local tv weathermen. His
    opening line in class day 1 was. "If you see me on tv saying anything and it's further than 24hrs out. I'm full of shite"

Funny they would say that when, in fact, these days a 7 day forecast can be accurate about 80% of the time and 5 day forecasts can be accurate about 90% of the time.
    Given all the variables involved I find current weather forecasting practices to be pretty amazing.
    Well this was almost 20 years ago so I'm sure forecasting has improved since then with new technology.

yep, sometimes they now open a window and look outside.......
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    St. Augustine is flooded downtown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhvdGzCIP3o

Even though the beachfront at St. Augustine Beach, at it's peak, just had intermittent waves splashing over the seawall.

I wouldn't have thought that the city would be that much more prone to flooding than the oceanfront condos, etc, but with every major storm that proves to be the case.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• BigreenGreg
    Options
    It hasn’t hit Charleston yet, but you’d  never know it from every single news station.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • BigreenGreg
    Options
    Currently having a tequila tasting party with all my neighbors, something tells me I’m gonna sleep through it.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    This is the most interesting video I've seen so far from this hurricane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al8yTiCVfro

Whoa.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,650
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I didn’t say hurricane forecasting was easy, apparently it’s tougher than hitting a asteroid with a refer.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Physics and controllable vs uncontrollable variables as you know... =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I didn’t say hurricane forecasting was easy, apparently it’s tougher than hitting a asteroid with a refer.
    "A lot of things are easier in a vacuum." - John Candy, Spaceballs
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    This is the most interesting video I've seen so far from this hurricane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al8yTiCVfro

Whoa.

Might I add “damn”?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I have an uncle who lives on Pine Island.  He and my aunt had evacuated, but he managed to get to his house (by boat) yesterday.  When he arrived, one of their cars was completely underwater, as was their generator.  He feels lucky, because a next-door neighbor's house was completely destroyed.

They are going to secure the house as best they can, and pack their things up and camp out with family in New England for a bit.  He's estimating it will take at least a month before the house will be livable again. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have an uncle who lives on Pine Island.  He and my aunt had evacuated, but he managed to get to his house (by boat) yesterday.  When he arrived, one of their cars was completely underwater, as was their generator.  He feels lucky, because a next-door neighbor's house was completely destroyed.

They are going to secure the house as best they can, and pack their things up and camp out with family in New England for a bit.  He's estimating it will take at least a month before the house will be livable again. 

If he's back in a month then he's really lucky.  I guess water didn't get *inside* the house?
    @samiam2

Glad to hear. Looks like you’re eating quite well, too. Stay safe. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

If he's back in a month then he's really lucky.  I guess water didn't get *inside* the house?
    *At least* a month.  His place is up on columns.  The only thing at ground level is the garage. I think he lost a shingle or two but otherwise he’s ok.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Great looking banquet right there.  However, there is no such thing as "have a cold beer...".  They travel in pairs at a minimum.  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,896
    Options
    @lousubcap - I was going to respond earlier, but I didn't want to open the other refer in the storage area until power was back and the inside temp was where it belonged. Only had the single beer left in the inside refer which I had loaded up with Ice so that was the only cold one available. I will of course need to test a couple to make sure they are palatable.

Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Tonight CBS' Sixty Minutes  did a story on a planned community in Ian's path called Babcock Ranch.  I thought someone had mentioned it in this thread but couldn't find it.
    This community was built with low eco-impact, and weather vulnerability, in mind.  It is located ~37' above sea level, all power lines were buried, erosion-resistant native vegetation was used, building codes beefed up to handle hurricanes, and 100% solar powered.   
    BR took a direct hit from Ian, although they're (iirc) 35 miles inland.  One of the founders interviewed had ridden out the storm at home; the next morning he drove around the community and found a few downed trees, and some missing roof tiles, otherwise, nothing!  Even the huge solar array field they had lost not a single panel (which I found hard to believe).  
    They also discussed some of the insurance issues in Florida.  Folks need both wind, and flood, insurance (which sounds pretty damn convenient for deniability for the ins companies); their rates had been skyrocketing over the past few years; many major insurers are simply leaving FL; and only 18% of all Floridians can even afford to carry flood insurance.  I'll save any further comments on that for the "Off-Topic" section...
    These stories will probably be available on CBSNews.com tomorrow, I'll post a link.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That 18% with flood insurance is more indicative of the percent of homes with mortgages requiring flood.  And some that feel they need it when it’s not required.  That drives the price up more when only a fraction of homes have it.  It should be all homes.  Discount the “never flood” people.
    Options
    Botch said:
    Tonight CBS' Sixty Minutes  did a story on a planned community in Ian's path called Babcock Ranch.  I thought someone had mentioned it in this thread but couldn't find it.
    This community was built with low eco-impact, and weather vulnerability, in mind.  It is located ~37' above sea level, all power lines were buried, erosion-resistant native vegetation was used, building codes beefed up to handle hurricanes, and 100% solar powered.   
    BR took a direct hit from Ian, although they're (iirc) 35 miles inland.  One of the founders interviewed had ridden out the storm at home; the next morning he drove around the community and found a few downed trees, and some missing roof tiles, otherwise, nothing!  Even the huge solar array field they had lost not a single panel (which I found hard to believe).  
    They also discussed some of the insurance issues in Florida.  Folks need both wind, and flood, insurance (which sounds pretty damn convenient for deniability for the ins companies); their rates had been skyrocketing over the past few years; many major insurers are simply leaving FL; and only 18% of all Floridians can even afford to carry flood insurance.  I'll save any further comments on that for the "Off-Topic" section...
    These stories will probably be available on CBSNews.com tomorrow, I'll post a link.  
    From "Global Warming - Right & Wrong" in OT:
    Legume said:
    http://www.cnn.com/2022/10/02/us/solar-babcock-ranch-florida-hurricane-ian-climate/index.html

I am over trying to embed links.

Interesting article, small town 12 miles from Ft Myers that was designed to be 100% solar, underground utilities, streets designed to flood rather the homes, etc.  Nobody flooded, nobody lost power, minimal damage.

canuckland
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    We just received an email today from our condo that we stay at on Fort Myers Beach for many weeks in the winter. They are not planning on reopening until September 2023.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI