Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Centex’s Salsa Vault (post yours here too if ya want)

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    “Did you guys go to Houston for vacation”? 

Me: “it was more of a work trip. Went on a Mango crawl with Cali”
    “And that, my friends, was how the Houston Mango Camp got started…”
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • “Did you guys go to Houston for vacation”? 

True but of all the camps Cali could start, Mango camp would be very low on my list. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JohnInCarolina

True but of all the camps Cali could start, Mango camp would be very low on my list. 
    Yeah I'm gonna wait for Naan Camp too.  Not because I really want to learn how to make naan really well (although that would be a bonus), but rather because of all the things you have to make to try it out.  "How do I know this naan is any good without some biryani to go with?"
  • “Did you guys go to Houston for vacation”? 

Yeah I'm gonna wait for Naan Camp too.  Not because I really want to learn how to make naan really well (although that would be a bonus), but rather because of all the things you have to make to try it out.  "How do I know this naan is any good without some biryani to go with?"
    This is the way 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    edited June 2022
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    Made this pineapple jalapeño salsa, courtesy of this recipe shared by @GrateEggspectations:

https://eggheadforum.com/home/leaving?allowTrusted=1&target=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.chilipeppermadness.com%2Fchili-pepper-recipes%2Fhot-sauces%2Fpineapple-jalapeno-hot-sauce%2F

I tweaked the recipe a bit.  Added some honey, per his suggestion, and doubled the garlic.  I also used two full cups of chopped pineapple because I had enough and it seemed like it still needed a little more to me.  It’s good chit!  
    I need to make this. 

The 2 cups of pineapple - total (all grilled), or did you add some raw pineapple after the initial tasting?

And, hell yes... always DTG.
    I used all grilled.  It was just what I had.  Next time I make this, I may mix in a bit of mango and habanero.  I feel like that would kick it up a notch.  
    it definitely will. Have never regretted adding fresh mango to salsa. 

The Ataulfo mangoes from Costco have consistently been good. Way better than the Marathon brand, or Kent,  mangoes in most stores. 
    Dude has a favorite brand of mango. 
    That aint even the half of it. Swing by in April any year, and I could do a mango tour in Houston. May in the motherland meant about at least about a dozen varieties to choose from.
    I am exactly 0% surprised by any of this. And…see you next April. 
    Still searching for the "Agree" button.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

Biryani Camp is a separate entity. I have thoughts. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:

Biryani Camp is a separate entity. I have thoughts. 

I’m sure you do. I like Curry Camp. Rolls off the tongue and covers so much

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Made this pineapple jalapeño salsa, courtesy of this recipe shared by @GrateEggspectations:

https://eggheadforum.com/home/leaving?allowTrusted=1&target=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.chilipeppermadness.com%2Fchili-pepper-recipes%2Fhot-sauces%2Fpineapple-jalapeno-hot-sauce%2F

I tweaked the recipe a bit.  Added some honey, per his suggestion, and doubled the garlic.  I also used two full cups of chopped pineapple because I had enough and it seemed like it still needed a little more to me.  It’s good chit!  
    If this is all going into the Ninja blender any way, is there any point in dicing up the items?
  • JohnInCarolina

If this is all going into the Ninja blender any way, is there any point in dicing up the items?
    Probably not. I did it just to make it a little easier on the food processor, but the Ninja should make quick work of it all.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286

Probably not. I did it just to make it a little easier on the food processor, but the Ninja should make quick work of it all.
    It did. I ended up adding an extra half lime and a little Monkfruit sweetener since double roasted garlic was a little much. 
    In a little bit I am going to start on Keto friendly chicken rub and bbq sauce. Getting ready for Fathers Day.
  • We’ve been making salsa for 25 years or so and always have a few good ones lying around. I like having things posted here So I can always go back and find them with pics and comments. And if anyone learns something or enjoys one of them, all the better. 

Going to start with the gold standard Tex Mex table salsa that every TexMex joint brings to your table when you sit down here in central Texas. This is very “Austin/San Antonio” style. Every restaurant has their own take on this but they all start with the same basic ingredients. 

28-oz Canned Tomatoes (San Marzano if you can find them), 
    Medium white Onion
    3-5 jalapeños (taste for spiciness and use what you think will give you the kick you want).
    juice of one juicy lime
    cilantro (about a half cup or a fist full)
     2-3 cloves of garlic (minced or microplaned)
    roughly a tablespoon of kosher salt (some use garlic salt instead of fresh garlic and kosher. I go back and forth. They are both good) 

About the tomatoes: they all use canned tomatoes for this one so it tastes the same every time you go in. Winter tomatoes suck and produce mealy, watery salsa. You can certainly use fresh but it changes every time you make it. If you are going to have a “signature” salsa like all the restaurants here try to do, then it’s going to have to taste  the same every time you go. The only way to do that is by using canned tomatoes. If you are going to make fresh, do it when tomatoes are in season. It’s a real treat for a few months to make fresh salsa with good ingredients. This is a great salsa for fresh tomatoes too. The tomatoes are the star in this one. 

The Prep:

I cut the onion in to 1/8ths (just manageable chunks that can easily blend in), cut the jalapeños in half and cut those halves In to 3-4 pieces grab a fist full of washed cilantro (I measured this time, I had a cup ready to go and used about half that. If you don’t like cilantro, leave it out) 

After you prep, Place all the veggies in a food processor. Note- I like a Processor over a blender for this one. It’s supposed to have some texture to it and a blender can really pulverize it quickly if you aren't  careful. If you do use a blender go low speed and pulse until it gets to the texture you want. 

(As you can see in the pics, I used roughly 3/4 of the onion, and half of the cilantro I prepped. I usually hold back a little on these and the lime and add more if needed). 

Add a large pinch of salt and give it a spin for 20-30 seconds. Give it a taste and see if it needs anything. This one was really balanced in the veg but needed more salt and the other half of the lime  I added and gave it another spin to mix. Perfect. 

I will note that is is very common down here to double the amount of lime I put in this one. You almost can’t put too much in for many people’s tastes but I like it really balanced. I like the acid/limey bite but I don’t want it to be the overarching flavor. This is a tomato salsa and should taste like it. 

Other options: use fresh tomatoes when in season, use fire roasted canned tomatoes or roast fresh tomatoes, peppers and onions for a darker roasty salsa (that is often served warm down here). Same ingredients, totally different salsa in the end so play around with it. We tend to go more fresh in the summer and more roasty in the winter but it’s good either way any time. 

Hope you enjoy, more to come. 

Whole ingredients:

Prepped before the food processor:

Below is what I held back just going by experience. I would add anything that it needed after the first taste. I’ve gotten pretty good at knowing what looks right in the processor and I was pretty much on target this time. I did add that half lime and more salt though. Better to add a little more than add too much up front. Really hard to balance when you get too much salt, onion, or lime in there. 

After a spin in the processor (30 seconds and test, then 20-30 more if you need it. 

This whole thing took 10 min start to finish. Way better than anything you can buy in a jar.  

Can't wait to try this tomorrow!  
    Yes that is my real name.
  • We’ve been making salsa for 25 years or so and always have a few good ones lying around. I like having things posted here So I can always go back and find them with pics and comments. And if anyone learns something or enjoys one of them, all the better. 

Going to start with the gold standard Tex Mex table salsa that every TexMex joint brings to your table when you sit down here in central Texas. This is very “Austin/San Antonio” style. Every restaurant has their own take on this but they all start with the same basic ingredients. 

28-oz Canned Tomatoes (San Marzano if you can find them), 
    Medium white Onion
    3-5 jalapeños (taste for spiciness and use what you think will give you the kick you want).
    juice of one juicy lime
    cilantro (about a half cup or a fist full)
     2-3 cloves of garlic (minced or microplaned)
    roughly a tablespoon of kosher salt (some use garlic salt instead of fresh garlic and kosher. I go back and forth. They are both good) 

About the tomatoes: they all use canned tomatoes for this one so it tastes the same every time you go in. Winter tomatoes suck and produce mealy, watery salsa. You can certainly use fresh but it changes every time you make it. If you are going to have a “signature” salsa like all the restaurants here try to do, then it’s going to have to taste  the same every time you go. The only way to do that is by using canned tomatoes. If you are going to make fresh, do it when tomatoes are in season. It’s a real treat for a few months to make fresh salsa with good ingredients. This is a great salsa for fresh tomatoes too. The tomatoes are the star in this one. 

The Prep:

I cut the onion in to 1/8ths (just manageable chunks that can easily blend in), cut the jalapeños in half and cut those halves In to 3-4 pieces grab a fist full of washed cilantro (I measured this time, I had a cup ready to go and used about half that. If you don’t like cilantro, leave it out) 

After you prep, Place all the veggies in a food processor. Note- I like a Processor over a blender for this one. It’s supposed to have some texture to it and a blender can really pulverize it quickly if you aren't  careful. If you do use a blender go low speed and pulse until it gets to the texture you want. 

(As you can see in the pics, I used roughly 3/4 of the onion, and half of the cilantro I prepped. I usually hold back a little on these and the lime and add more if needed). 

Add a large pinch of salt and give it a spin for 20-30 seconds. Give it a taste and see if it needs anything. This one was really balanced in the veg but needed more salt and the other half of the lime  I added and gave it another spin to mix. Perfect. 

I will note that is is very common down here to double the amount of lime I put in this one. You almost can’t put too much in for many people’s tastes but I like it really balanced. I like the acid/limey bite but I don’t want it to be the overarching flavor. This is a tomato salsa and should taste like it. 

Other options: use fresh tomatoes when in season, use fire roasted canned tomatoes or roast fresh tomatoes, peppers and onions for a darker roasty salsa (that is often served warm down here). Same ingredients, totally different salsa in the end so play around with it. We tend to go more fresh in the summer and more roasty in the winter but it’s good either way any time. 

Hope you enjoy, more to come. 

Whole ingredients:

Prepped before the food processor:

Below is what I held back just going by experience. I would add anything that it needed after the first taste. I’ve gotten pretty good at knowing what looks right in the processor and I was pretty much on target this time. I did add that half lime and more salt though. Better to add a little more than add too much up front. Really hard to balance when you get too much salt, onion, or lime in there. 

After a spin in the processor (30 seconds and test, then 20-30 more if you need it. 

This whole thing took 10 min start to finish. Way better than anything you can buy in a jar.  

Can't wait to try this tomorrow!  
    Hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Let me know if you have any questions. 
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 679
    Made the first listed salsa again. It's a great quick salsa. Love this thread 
  • Read through the whole thread again tonight. Totally forgot it existed. Love it. 
  • PigBeanUs said:
    Great idea for a thread!
    Rest in Power, my friend.
  • PigBeanUs said:
    Great idea for a thread!
    Rest in Power, my friend.
    Agreed
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    I don't really like salsa that much

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited October 2022
    EGGjlmh said:
    I get it.  You are probably too busy being a b*tch
  • EGGjlmh said:
    I get it.  You are probably too busy being a b*tch

• CodyA88 said:
    Roasted Habanero & Pineapple Salsa (limes, cilantro, salt not pictured).  Forgot to snap a pic after I roasted everything off.  Perfect balance of sweet and heat.
    Sweet! Looks awesome. 
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    CodyA88 said:
    Roasted Habanero & Pineapple Salsa (limes, cilantro, salt not pictured).  Forgot to snap a pic after I roasted everything off.  Perfect balance of sweet and heat.
    Looks really good!

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• caliking
    Got some done today. 

May need some more lime, but otherwise pretty good. 

One of my staff asked me to make salsa for her Thanksgiving party, because her family loved it when I gave her some last year. They asked for it for Thanksgiving again. She’s Mexican, so I guess that’s a compliment :)

• caliking said:
    Got some done today. 

One of my staff asked me to make salsa for her Thanksgiving party, because her family loved it when I gave her some last year. They asked for it for Thanksgiving again. She’s Mexican, so I guess that’s a compliment :)
    Compliment indeed. A pinch of cumin does a green salsa good. Or a pinch of habañero death dust from our election denying friend in Missouri.  I do like your industrial use of garlic here. 
  • caliking
    caliking said:
    Got some done today. 

Compliment indeed. A pinch of cumin does a green salsa good. Or a pinch of habañero death dust from our election denying friend in Missouri.  I do like your industrial use of garlic here. 
    Good call. I have a quart left for us, so I'll play around with it. A bit of cumin sounds good.

• caliking said:
    Got some done today. 

I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone roast garlic quite like that, but I like it.  I'm guessing you're doing it that way because you bought the usual bag of peeled cloves?

Also - are you sure you have enough?  ;)
  • caliking
    caliking said:
    Got some done today. 

I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone roast garlic quite like that, but I like it.  I'm guessing you're doing it that way because you bought the usual bag of peeled cloves?

Also - are you sure you have enough?  ;)
    Yup. That's the usual MO. With the garlic use/consumption on this side, I'd grow old by the time I peeled all the garlic I needed. 

One of those skewers was supposed to be for the Yucatan style fiery habanero salsa, but i didn't get around to roasted the habs. So, it too ended up in this one.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited November 2022
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    Got some done today. 

Good call. I have a quart left for us, so I'll play around with it. A bit of cumin sounds good.
    Start small- it goes a long way. Maybe 1/4-1/2 tsp per quart to start and add more if you think it needs it.