Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Centex’s Salsa Vault (post yours here too if ya want)

Options

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited December 2022
    Options

I usually end up making some kind of salsa verde, so wanted to change things up. I’m calling this Salsa Carbonizado, because some of the chiles roasted a bit longer than intended =)

Chiles
    Ancho 2-3
    Guajillo 2-3
    Pasilla 2-2
    Some kind of New Mexico chile 2-3
    (Pequin chiles would have been good in this, but I didn’t have any).

Tomatoes 12 (I used Campari, which are about golf ball-size).

Limes, juiced 2

Vinegar 1 TBSP

Sugar  1 tsp 

Garlic, salt, and pepper per taste.

- roast chiles until aromatic, and starting to blacken. 
    - soak in boiling hot water, until soft. 
    - roast tomatoes, garlic, and onion, until you see some char. 
    - take the stems off the chiles, and pulse a few times in a food pro. Add 1/2 cup of the chile water, or more if you want a thinner salsa. 
    - toss the rest in,  and blitz it. 

It’s not blazing hot. Has a warm, earthy, robust flavor, and the color is beautiful! 

You could add 1-2 habaneros (or more) if you want to kick up the heat.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Huh.  Never heard of soaking fresh chilis after roasting them; I've always just covered them and let them steam under their own heat.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Dawgtired
    Options
    This is my favorite one from KBC…
    1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
    1 7oz can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
    1/2 C chopped red onion
    1/4 C chopped fresh jalapeños
    1/4 C chopped cilantro
    1/4 C red wine vinegar
    2 garlic cloves
    1 T salt
    1 t smoked paprika 
    Puree everything in a food processor. This one is both very easy and very, very, good!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• caliking
    Options
    Botch said:
    Huh.  Never heard of soaking fresh chilis after roasting them; I've always just covered them and let them steam under their own heat.  
    Oops... forgot to say that all of the chiles were dried. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:

I usually end up making some kind of salsa verde, so wanted to change things up. I’m calling this Salsa Carbonizado, because some of the chiles roasted a bit longer than intended =)

Chiles
    Ancho 2-3
    Guajillo 2-3
    Pasilla 2-2

Limes, juiced 2

Vinegar 1 TBSP

Sugar  1 tsp 

- take the stems off the chiles, and pulse a few times in a food pro. Add 1/2 cup of the chile water, or more if you want a thinner salsa. 

It’s not blazing hot. Has a warm, earthy, robust flavor, and the color is beautiful! 

Oh man that looks amazing. Campari are the best fresh tomatoes out there these days. Grown in Marfa TX- Out by Big Bend. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    Options
    caliking said:

Chiles
    Ancho 2-3
    Guajillo 2-3
    Pasilla 2-2

Limes, juiced 2

Vinegar 1 TBSP

Sugar  1 tsp 

Oh man that looks amazing. Campari are the best fresh tomatoes out there these days. Grown in Marfa TX- Out by Big Bend. 
    They’re my favorite. Found them a couple of years ago, and the best of the store tomatoes IMO. caliqueen has been growing all kinds of heirloom tomatoes, but it’s criminal to use them for anything that involves blitzing then until unrecognizable. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The Green Menace

1 lb Tomatillo
    2-4 jalapeno or 1-2 habanero
    4-5 cloves of garlic
    big pinch of salt
    tsp cumin
    tsp+ Oakridge Habanero Death Dust

char up the veg, add to blender with other ingredients and give it a spin. 

Made a batch this week to eat with Christmas morning tamales for breakfast.spicy AF and delicious. 

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Bumpppp. Making some tomorrow for the game Sunday!
    LBGE
    AL
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Salsa 💃 always a good bump 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    Made the first salsa again. It was great. Not trying to spend anyone's money, but I used a manual food processor. OXO Good Grips One Stop Chop Manual Food Processor https://a.co/d/ir3IOrH

It wasn't that one, but you get the idea. It let me keep the salsa rather chunky and I was able to dial in the taste without over processing 
  • Botch
    Options

Loving la vida molcajete! So much fun and it makes a huge difference in flavor. According to Kenji, that is because crushing actually crushes all the cell walls and releases every bit of flavor. You can't get that with slicing, even really fast with a food processor or blender. Whatever it is, I'm sold. Best salsas I have every made. More to come.
    Question for you:
    I have/use a small marble mortar/pestle, and have been intrigued by the larger lava-rock molcajetés.  I understand their coarse surfaces do an excellent job of crushing any plant cells, but doesn't that make them harder to clean, short of using a wire brush or pressure washer?  

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Botch said:

Loving la vida molcajete! So much fun and it makes a huge difference in flavor. According to Kenji, that is because crushing actually crushes all the cell walls and releases every bit of flavor. You can't get that with slicing, even really fast with a food processor or blender. Whatever it is, I'm sold. Best salsas I have every made. More to come.
    Question for you:
    I have/use a small marble mortar/pestle, and have been intrigued by the larger lava-rock molcajetés.  I understand their coarse surfaces do an excellent job of crushing any plant cells, but doesn't that make them harder to clean, short of using a wire brush or pressure washer?  

super easy to clean. You grind down rice and salt in there several times (rinse repeat) and it smooths out the insides a little. Takes about 15-20 mintues. When the rice stays white (as opposed to turning gray) it's ready to use. Just spray out with the sink sprayer and you are good to go.
  • NDG
    Options
    love this post . .  I am growing tomatillos this year, hoping for a good harvest bc I love them in salsa !
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    Botch said:

Question for you:

easy to just rinse clean. buy the biggest you can find. better for grinding spices than the marble type, i have both and just use the marble one for melting cheese type dips now
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    NDG said:
    love this post . .  I am growing tomatillos this year, hoping for a good harvest bc I love them in salsa !
    Me too! I’m team green when it comes to salsa these days. 
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    BUFFALOMOOSE Posts: 373
    Options
    Crushing it @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    South Buffalo, New York
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Literally crushing it ha ha. 
  • NDG
    Options
    NDG said:
    My tomatillo plants are super lanky like this, not sure it’s good . . @The Cen-Tex Smoker how yours looking ??

Columbus, OH

• Elijah
    Options
    Bump. The first recipe is legit for a restaurant replacement. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    NDG said:
    NDG said:
    My tomatillo plants are super lanky like this, not sure it’s good . . @The Cen-Tex Smoker how yours looking ??

We don’t have a garden in this year. Glad we didn’t. It’s been 105+ with no rain for months down here all summer. We have bought our tomatillos this year. 
  • Botch
    Options
    NDG said:

For years, trying to grow basil in a pot, I'd use the bottom leaves for cooking, leaving the "new" leaves to mature a bit.  Saw a couple videos, started trimming off the tops instead, and suddenly my basil "fleshed out" at the bottom, and now my herbs look pretty damn good (plus I'm cooking with the fresh stuff).  
    You might try that (take it with a grain of salt, I'm still in the "brown thumb" club...).  

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    I had no luck with growing tomatoes this year. I had fantastic upward foliage(growth) but no tomatoes. I have been told I was feeding them too much nitrogen. So next year I will cut back on the fertilizer. Not sure if maybe you have the same issue @NDG
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • NDG
    Options
    @johnmitchell yea no luck, tons and tons of empty husks(bad pic).  I read up on it and learned you they can’t self pollinate, so you really can’t expect much with a solo plant.  Bummer.  Next year I will try 3 plants and see what happens.
    Columbus, OH

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Elijah said:
    That is exactly what it is. A version of that salsa is on the table of hundreds of Mexican restaurants in Texas. I would consider it “San Antonio”style but it’s ubiquitous around the whole state. All of them used canned tomatoes so the salsa tastes the same all year round. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    20stone said:
    Foghorn said:
    20stone said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker, nice work starting this thread.  Salsa is definitely a "why would I ever buy this again" item, and it's great having this as a ready resource.

I need tacos
    @20stone, are you headed to Bill Miller?  I've heard that homemade salsa goes great on their tacos.  I won't reveal the source.
    Life saving hero ER doc or not, the minute this quarantine lifts you better have your head on a swivel, MF, 'cause, just because that was a jest-troll doesn't mean I'm not blinded by rage and plotting revenge.
    This will never not be funny to me. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    20stone said:
    Foghorn said:
    20stone said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker, nice work starting this thread.  Salsa is definitely a "why would I ever buy this again" item, and it's great having this as a ready resource.

I need tacos
    @20stone, are you headed to Bill Miller?  I've heard that homemade salsa goes great on their tacos.  I won't reveal the source.
    Life saving hero ER doc or not, the minute this quarantine lifts you better have your head on a swivel, MF, 'cause, just because that was a jest-troll doesn't mean I'm not blinded by rage and plotting revenge.
    This will never not be funny to me. 
  • Elijah
    Options
    Elijah said:
    That is exactly what it is. A version of that salsa is on the table of hundreds of Mexican restaurants in Texas. I would consider it “San Antonio”style but it’s ubiquitous around the whole state. All of them used canned tomatoes so the salsa tastes the same all year round. 
    Same in South Carolina. The only difference I can tell is how finely they chop the cilantro. 
  • NDG
    Options
    Got my Molcajeté for Christmas, pulled this post & copied @The Cen-Tex Smoker post above . . Salsa was out of this world, tortillas tasty too !!

Columbus, OH