Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Centex’s Salsa Vault (post yours here too if ya want)

1234568»

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,060
    edited January 7
    NDG said:
    Got my Molcajeté for Christmas, pulled this post & copied @The Cen-Tex Smoker post above . . Salsa was out of this world, tortillas tasty too !!

Beautiful!! .. season that bad boy with rice if you haven’t yet 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 775
    Some dang good recipes in here
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 23,130
    NDG said:
    Got my Molcajeté for Christmas, pulled this post & copied @The Cen-Tex Smoker post above . . Salsa was out of this world, tortillas tasty too !!

This whole post is awesome. You gotta start ‘em young! Mine are 25 and 29 now and now off of culinary adventures of their own.  I’m not sure we did them any favors but they both have the culinary bug in a bad way. My oldest went down a several year Ramen rabbit hole worthy of opening a high end shop (thank god he hasn’t yet- but his is the best I have ever had). Fun to see the smiles on the kids enjoying the fruits of your labor. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    NDG said:
    @johnmitchell yea no luck, tons and tons of empty husks(bad pic).  I read up on it and learned you they can’t self pollinate, so you really can’t expect much with a solo plant.  Bummer.  Next year I will try 3 plants and see what happens.
    This is true- we had great luck the last time we did tomatillos but we had to pollinate them with a q-tip. If you do ever get them going, they are fantastic grilled until charred and put on top of anything. We made salsa with the big ones and grilled the little ones and I still crave them to this day. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited June 8
    Copycat Chipotle (the fast food restaurant) Red Salsa. I have been chasing this one for a while. This is really close. 

1lb tomatillos
    1oz Chile de Arbol
    1 can fire roasted tomatoes
    4-20 cloves of garlic 
    half lime
    salt to taste
    Tsp cumin

broil tomatillos until soft and black on top. I cut them in half so I don’t have to flip them. Just make sure all the juice goes into the salsa. De-seed Arbols (gloves highly recommended for this step) and toast them until fragrant (make sure your fan is on high or you are outside- the smoke will put you down if you breathe it in). 

Add toasted arbols to your hot tomatillos in the blender (this will help soften the arbols when blending). blend all that until smooth then add canned tomatoes, garlic, lime, cumin,  and a little salt. Blend it all again until smooth. Taste it and add more lime/salt to taste. 

This $hit is HOT! like almost too hot. You might start with half the chiles and add more if you need it. 

Cleared my sinuses right out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    So we all like spicy food but we have all decided this stuff is just too damn hot. It’s super tasty but I would definitely start with half the chiles and add to your desired heat level. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,726
    So we all like spicy food but we have all decided this stuff is just too damn hot. It’s super tasty but I would definitely start with half the chiles and add to your desired heat level. 
    If someone from Texas says something is too hot, heed the warning. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited June 9
    If someone from Texas says something is too hot, heed the warning. 
    It’s actually really good with food. This salsa is made to go on tacos as opposed to eating it like a dip. We were all tasting it off spoons and with chips and it was super spicy. We had it on fajitas last night and breakfast tacos this morning and everyone agreed it was great. Now we are torn because it’s perfect with food but will tear the arse out of you if you eat it off a spoon. But the flavor is out of this world and you just want to tear into it. I may cut the chiles by 25% next time and see how that goes. But now we are all kind of used to it and have been noshing on it since I made it. We are gluttons for
    punishment. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,032
    15-oz can or 28-oz fire-roasted (I actually have both sizes in the pantry right now)?   TIA  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Botch said:
    15-oz can or 28-oz fire-roasted (I actually have both sizes in the pantry right now)?   TIA  
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,032
    Tan Que!   :)  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.