Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

OT: Major hurricane

1235»

Comments

  • TEXASBGE2018TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,738
    HeavyG said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Weather man, best job in the world. Wrong 100% of the time, still getting paid
    When I was in college I took an elective course called "weather and climate". It was taught by one of our local tv weathermen. His
    opening line in class day 1 was. "If you see me on tv saying anything and it's further than 24hrs out. I'm full of shite"

    Funny they would say that when, in fact, these days a 7 day forecast can be accurate about 80% of the time and 5 day forecasts can be accurate about 90% of the time.
    Given all the variables involved I find current weather forecasting practices to be pretty amazing.
    Well this was almost 20 years ago so I'm sure forecasting has improved since then with new technology.


    Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 30,510
    HeavyG said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Weather man, best job in the world. Wrong 100% of the time, still getting paid
    When I was in college I took an elective course called "weather and climate". It was taught by one of our local tv weathermen. His
    opening line in class day 1 was. "If you see me on tv saying anything and it's further than 24hrs out. I'm full of shite"

    Funny they would say that when, in fact, these days a 7 day forecast can be accurate about 80% of the time and 5 day forecasts can be accurate about 90% of the time.
    Given all the variables involved I find current weather forecasting practices to be pretty amazing.
    Well this was almost 20 years ago so I'm sure forecasting has improved since then with new technology.

    yep, sometimes they now open a window and look outside.......
    fukahwee maine

    you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 9,416
    St. Augustine is flooded downtown:




    Even though the beachfront at St. Augustine Beach, at it's peak, just had intermittent waves splashing over the seawall.

    I wouldn't have thought that the city would be that much more prone to flooding than the oceanfront condos, etc, but with every major storm that proves to be the case.

    XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

    San Antonio, TX

  • It hasn’t hit Charleston yet, but you’d  never know it from every single news station.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • Currently having a tequila tasting party with all my neighbors, something tells me I’m gonna sleep through it.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • Foghorn said:
    This is the most interesting video I've seen so far from this hurricane.




    Whoa.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike


  • alaskanassasinalaskanassasin Posts: 6,284
    edited September 29
    I didn’t say hurricane forecasting was easy, apparently it’s tougher than hitting a asteroid with a refer.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

    "It’s very possible I’m doing it all wrong, haven’t watched any videos, but I’m happy with the ones I make."
      - @Legume

  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 27,659
    Physics and controllable vs uncontrollable variables as you know... =)
    Louisville; "indeterminate Jim" here.  Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!
  • I didn’t say hurricane forecasting was easy, apparently it’s tougher than hitting a asteroid with a refer.
    "A lot of things are easier in a vacuum." - John Candy, Spaceballs
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike


  • dmchicagodmchicago Posts: 4,115
    Foghorn said:
    This is the most interesting video I've seen so far from this hurricane.




    Whoa.

    Might I add “damn”?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

    Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

    "If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • I have an uncle who lives on Pine Island.  He and my aunt had evacuated, but he managed to get to his house (by boat) yesterday.  When he arrived, one of their cars was completely underwater, as was their generator.  He feels lucky, because a next-door neighbor's house was completely destroyed.

    They are going to secure the house as best they can, and pack their things up and camp out with family in New England for a bit.  He's estimating it will take at least a month before the house will be livable again. 


    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike


  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 40,747
    I have an uncle who lives on Pine Island.  He and my aunt had evacuated, but he managed to get to his house (by boat) yesterday.  When he arrived, one of their cars was completely underwater, as was their generator.  He feels lucky, because a next-door neighbor's house was completely destroyed.

    They are going to secure the house as best they can, and pack their things up and camp out with family in New England for a bit.  He's estimating it will take at least a month before the house will be livable again. 



    If he's back in a month then he's really lucky.  I guess water didn't get *inside* the house?
    ______________________________________________
    I collect junk and work as a lowly lab technician at the bench!!!!!
    WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!  GREATNESS!!!!!!!!!
  • @samiam2

    Glad to hear. Looks like you’re eating quite well, too. Stay safe. 
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 26,256
    I have an uncle who lives on Pine Island.  He and my aunt had evacuated, but he managed to get to his house (by boat) yesterday.  When he arrived, one of their cars was completely underwater, as was their generator.  He feels lucky, because a next-door neighbor's house was completely destroyed.

    They are going to secure the house as best they can, and pack their things up and camp out with family in New England for a bit.  He's estimating it will take at least a month before the house will be livable again. 



    If he's back in a month then he's really lucky.  I guess water didn't get *inside* the house?
    *At least* a month.  His place is up on columns.  The only thing at ground level is the garage. I think he lost a shingle or two but otherwise he’s ok.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike


  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 27,659
    Great looking banquet right there.  However, there is no such thing as "have a cold beer...".  They travel in pairs at a minimum.  B)
    Louisville; "indeterminate Jim" here.  Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!
  • SamIAm2SamIAm2 Posts: 1,733
    @lousubcap - I was going to respond earlier, but I didn't want to open the other refer in the storage area until power was back and the inside temp was where it belonged. Only had the single beer left in the inside refer which I had loaded up with Ice so that was the only cold one available. I will of course need to test a couple to make sure they are palatable.


    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • BotchBotch Posts: 13,705
    Tonight CBS' Sixty Minutes  did a story on a planned community in Ian's path called Babcock Ranch.  I thought someone had mentioned it in this thread but couldn't find it.
    This community was built with low eco-impact, and weather vulnerability, in mind.  It is located ~37' above sea level, all power lines were buried, erosion-resistant native vegetation was used, building codes beefed up to handle hurricanes, and 100% solar powered.   
    BR took a direct hit from Ian, although they're (iirc) 35 miles inland.  One of the founders interviewed had ridden out the storm at home; the next morning he drove around the community and found a few downed trees, and some missing roof tiles, otherwise, nothing!  Even the huge solar array field they had lost not a single panel (which I found hard to believe).  
    They also discussed some of the insurance issues in Florida.  Folks need both wind, and flood, insurance (which sounds pretty damn convenient for deniability for the ins companies); their rates had been skyrocketing over the past few years; many major insurers are simply leaving FL; and only 18% of all Floridians can even afford to carry flood insurance.  I'll save any further comments on that for the "Off-Topic" section...
    These stories will probably be available on CBSNews.com tomorrow, I'll post a link.  
    ____________________________________________

    What do we want?!?  Time Travel!!

    When do we want it?!?  Doesn't really matter.  

     

    Ogden, Utard  
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 40,747
    That 18% with flood insurance is more indicative of the percent of homes with mortgages requiring flood.  And some that feel they need it when it’s not required.  That drives the price up more when only a fraction of homes have it.  It should be all homes.  Discount the “never flood” people.
    ______________________________________________
    I collect junk and work as a lowly lab technician at the bench!!!!!
    WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!  GREATNESS!!!!!!!!!
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 9,622
    Botch said:
    Tonight CBS' Sixty Minutes  did a story on a planned community in Ian's path called Babcock Ranch.  I thought someone had mentioned it in this thread but couldn't find it.
    This community was built with low eco-impact, and weather vulnerability, in mind.  It is located ~37' above sea level, all power lines were buried, erosion-resistant native vegetation was used, building codes beefed up to handle hurricanes, and 100% solar powered.   
    BR took a direct hit from Ian, although they're (iirc) 35 miles inland.  One of the founders interviewed had ridden out the storm at home; the next morning he drove around the community and found a few downed trees, and some missing roof tiles, otherwise, nothing!  Even the huge solar array field they had lost not a single panel (which I found hard to believe).  
    They also discussed some of the insurance issues in Florida.  Folks need both wind, and flood, insurance (which sounds pretty damn convenient for deniability for the ins companies); their rates had been skyrocketing over the past few years; many major insurers are simply leaving FL; and only 18% of all Floridians can even afford to carry flood insurance.  I'll save any further comments on that for the "Off-Topic" section...
    These stories will probably be available on CBSNews.com tomorrow, I'll post a link.  
    From "Global Warming - Right & Wrong" in OT:
    Legume said:
    http://www.cnn.com/2022/10/02/us/solar-babcock-ranch-florida-hurricane-ian-climate/index.html


    I am over trying to embed links.

    Interesting article, small town 12 miles from Ft Myers that was designed to be 100% solar, underground utilities, streets designed to flood rather the homes, etc.  Nobody flooded, nobody lost power, minimal damage.


    canuckland
  • kl8tonkl8ton Posts: 4,540
    We just received an email today from our condo that we stay at on Fort Myers Beach for many weeks in the winter. They are not planning on reopening until September 2023.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.