Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Wok- first cook

1234568»

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,976
    caliking said:
    Bumpity bump. 

Broccoli and shrimp. Served over hakka chow mien ( Chinese-style stir fried noodles, with veg and stuff). 

The recipe was a riff off the broccoli and fried tofu recipe in the book. The real win was the alkaline brine for the shrimp. Made a noticeable difference- gave them a nice juicy pop. 
    No curry?  ;)
    Fwiw I think I post more curry cooks than doc c and he posts more Chinese cooks than me?
    canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,228
    I cook so few fun dishes.  When the wife travels is when I have the most fun.  She is super basic in her food likes, I just cook the same boring things when she is around.  Sometimes late at night I will cook single servings of fun and adventurous foods.  Or I will find a reason to be on the other side of town during dinner time so I can stop in at a new fun indy restaurant.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,976
    ^^^ stop it!
    canuckland
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,724
    Yes sir!!!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,145
    caliking said:
    Friday night= wok night!

kung pao chix over fried rice. Based on a recipe from Adam Liaw, hence the bell peppers and cashews. Added some sweet bean paste (tian mian jiang), and fermented bean curd for some heat  + funk. 

no curry?  ;)

I will stop telling that joke by the way, at some point…
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,809
    caliking said:
    Friday night= wok night!

kung pao chix over fried rice. Based on a recipe from Adam Liaw, hence the bell peppers and cashews. Added some sweet bean paste (tian mian jiang), and fermented bean curd for some heat  + funk. 

no curry?  ;)

I will stop telling that joke by the way, at some point…
    Until I post a Japanese kare cook...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking said:
    Friday night= wok night!

Love me some heat and funk. Looks awesome! 

We have a couple of wok cooks lined up for next weekend. The oldest and his GF are coming for the weekend to show off the new grand dog. They love Asian food and have not had anything from the book yet. Should be fun. 

Puppy  tax:

Cute pup!

I’m going to skip the dark/light soy going forward.  I want the colors to pop more, and there’s plenty of umami and salt in stuff like toban jian, miso, fermented bean curd, etc. 

• caliking said:
    caliking said:
    Friday night= wok night!

Love me some heat and funk. Looks awesome! 

We have a couple of wok cooks lined up for next weekend. The oldest and his GF are coming for the weekend to show off the new grand dog. They love Asian food and have not had anything from the book yet. Should be fun. 

Puppy  tax:

Cute pup!

I’m going to skip the dark/light soy going forward.  I want the colors to pop more, and there’s plenty of umami and salt in stuff like toban jian, miso, fermented bean curd, etc. 
    good idea. Plenty of fermented funk and salt in all those ingredients. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,145
    I ordered the book today.  Y'all have tortured me enough!

I suppose I'll also need to source a wok now...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • I ordered the book today.  Y'all have tortured me enough!

That would be helpful in your journey. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    I ordered the book today.  Y'all have tortured me enough!

Check your garage. That’s where I found one. 

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,815
    You found a wok in Johns garage?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .