Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Options

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options

Talk about bringing it.  Nailed that.  That is $$ right there.  I'm sure all were quite pleased with that offering.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    @lousubcap thank you, it was epic.  This was a 16 oz upper prime ribeye from Holy Grail.  Worth the spend.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • bbracey21
    bbracey21 Posts: 319
    edited August 2022
    Options

5 AM wake up call to fire up the egg (yawn). 14# brisket (prior to trimming) going on once she settles in around 270° or so. In my experience I’ve always been able to have it finish prior to dinner including FTC for a few hours. As lousubcap says, “the cow drives the cook.” Enjoy your day!
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    @bbracey21.Great way to start your day. Enjoy.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    Very nicely done, @4TheGrillOfIt!
    Stillwater, MN
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @lkapigian

I like how you roll. Crispy for the win. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @CPFC1905 - would appreciate the details on your pork belly prep/cook as that looks great.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    And some cubed sweet potatoes. 

• lousubcap
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations - you are now a drama producer?? Closer was worth the tease.  Great plate right there.  
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    @bbracey21. Looks fantastic 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @bbracey21 - that brisket is a great result.  I won't go into my sentiments about sacrificing the point to burnt ends but...
    Great eats right there-Congrats on nailing the cook.  
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    Bravo, @MasterC!

I'd be even more impressed if you didn't get any cheese on your shirt (-:
    Stillwater, MN
  • abtaylor260
    Options
    I made brats today. They were good. I am tired. 16lbs, 3 trays, 55 links. Should last a while. Janell made German Potato Salad. I loved it, she thought it was ok. One of us is right. I will let you decide (it’s me) 

I love German potato salad. That looks great. I like the vinegar taste over the sweeter American version. My wife’s grandmother was full blood German and she got her recipes when she died. She was a great cook. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Swmbo's salmon head curry, from few nights ago when forum was down, good eat.

We love fish heads (no surprise)! Salmon heads used to be $2 each here, but the price has likely gone up since I last picked one up. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    @caliking Love how you lined up the stuffed cuke, be careful with the mandoline  though! I’m overdue for kathi rolls.

Salmon heads are $3/lb here.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @caliking Love how you lined up the stuffed cuke, be careful with the mandoline  though! I’m overdue for kathi rolls.

Salmon heads are $3/lb here.
    I learned the "be careful with a mandoline " the hard way, so always wear a cut-proof glove now.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,859
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @CPFC1905 - would appreciate the details on your pork belly prep/cook as that looks great.  
    I've always liked pork belly.  It was traditionally the cheap cut, then a few years ago it was 're-discovered' when Gasto-pubs became a thing here.
    Briefly, during the 90's pubs went from sometimes serving simple food to more often following hybrid model of pub & heavily stylised comfort food.
    This was driven by law changes that meant pubs could become more open and hospitable, as opposed to man and smoke filled drinking dens. 

I still haven't nailed a consistent crackling, each iteration has a little progress. But SWMBO is now fan of this cut, so more developmental opportunities ahead.

1) 48 hours pre-cook. Score skin, apply heavy layer of fine (table) salt - leave uncovered in the fridge. 
    2) Several hours later, mop moisture off the top of the skin and re-salt.
    3) Repeat once or twice more until skin looks and feels dry.   This builds in a strong salty flavour to the skin, too.  
    4) Fire up the Egg, add plate setter and get it around to 550 dome temp, keep it around there for 20 mins. Skin side up. Very hot start and very dry skin is, by all accounts, the route to crackling.  
    5) Close the vents and let it roll for another 20 / 25 mins.  You'll sail through the min IT but as you can see, the moisture remains.  The fat will render to give a bit of natural smoke off the plate setter.   You could add in some chip/fruit wood at the start for smoke.
    6) Options from here,  a) pull it and rest for 10 mins  b) rotate on the grill to tickle along the skin - I'd avoid direct over coals as it will flame easily   c) take the skin off and grill for the crisp.
    7) Slice it thick.  The brackish taste encourages a steady flow of adult beverage too. 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @CPFC1905 - reads like a winner.  Thanks for that-will give it a run soon.