Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432

Not a very good picture and I forgot a plated picture, but it is honey miso soy & garlic roasted salmon. First time trying miso.  Was really good. 
    This looks like a salmon on a wooden board, then put into a roasting pan and then either roasted or broiled?  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Botch said:

Not a very good picture and I forgot a plated picture, but it is honey miso soy & garlic roasted salmon. First time trying miso.  Was really good. 
    This looks like a salmon on a wooden board, then put into a roasting pan and then either roasted or broiled?  
    No. I roasted it on a cedar plank on the egg. Then used the pan to carry it all in. lol I’m obviously not the best photographer. lol
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • CPFC1905 said:
    Fruits of the sea 
    Have always wanted to prep a fish like this.

What kind of fish?
    How did you prepare it?
    I anticipate you eat the skin. Correct?

Looks good!
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424

Spent most of the afternoon downtown watching Mean Girls The Musical with SWMBO, SWMBO Jr, and SWMBO Jr’s BFF, so came home and made migas.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Artichokes

Delicious when done correctly. Grew up eating them with lemon and butter sauce. Would scrape the leaves with our teeth. Super underrated veg. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @Wooderson- Belly burnt ends for the win.  Great add with the sliced jalas to an already impressive cook. You win tonight in my book.  Congrats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    edited July 2022
    Artichokes

Delicious when done correctly. Grew up eating them with lemon and butter sauce. Would scrape the leaves with our teeth. Super underrated veg. 
    That's how we do it.  Lemon aioli, dip leaves and scrap the meat off.  Then eat the hearts and stems too.  So good!

I soak in lemon water for a couple of hours (up to 24) then steam them, then dip the entire half in butter, then roast.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Artichokes

That's how we do it.  Lemon aioli, dip leaves and scrap the meat off.  Then eat the hearts and stems too.  So good!

I soak in lemon water for a couple of hours (up to 24) then steam them, then dip the entire half in butter, then roast.
    Thank you; I was wondering how you got the leaf ends to crisp up while still keeping the heart/stem intact.  Will be trying this as soon as it cools off a bit (107˚today, tied the all-time record).  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Bone-in NY strip from fresh market who ran out of porterhouse ($10/lb premium choice special).  So we lost the primo side but they fished these at same price.  Not as thick as I like when we do ribeye but we rock what’s grab and go in these times. NY strip is often done in a pan with sauce so I get it.  I brought out the old egg method (adjusted down to 450 for thinner steak) of 2 minutes sear, rotate for diamond sear 2 min, flip and close egg for 3 min, pull to rest on rack in foiled dish.

Topped with some leftover compound butter from the recent oysters.  Served with boiled red potatoes with basil thyme and green onion plus S&P.  Salad with mustard vinaigrette and lemon stuffed olives. Wine was a petit syrah.  Voila. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited July 2022
    Botch said:
    Artichokes

Thank you; I was wondering how you got the leaf ends to crisp up while still keeping the heart/stem intact.  Will be trying this as soon as it cools off a bit (107˚today, tied the all-time record).  
    A few keys I have found: (these tricks make them less healthy, but really amp up the flavor.

1.  Salt the water you soak them in, not as much as pasta water, but salt it.
    2. Steam for a little less than full done. 20-25 min
    3. Dip in butter, don't just brush. Lots of butter. Just before you roast.
    4. Really high heat to roast keeps the leaves and heart soft and moist, but get the tasty char flavor.  Don't shy away from flame.  I even have used a torch, but it didn't give as much cool smokey wood flavor.
    5. Salt and spritz with lemon just before you serve.

Treat them like you are cooking in a restaurant.  Don't be shy of fats or salt.  Olive oil works for a fat, but I prefer butter.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @paqman - a cook of beauty across the board but that $$ shot.  Tells the story right there-Dang!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited July 2022
    Mixed bag for dinner burgers, brats, kiolbassa sausage, poblanos!

That is like a "Grill around the World".

• Messed with some filters
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,661
    edited July 2022
    lousubcap said:
    @paqman - a cook of beauty across the board but that $$ shot.  Tells the story right there-Dang!
    A tad overcooked for me but SWMBO was happy.  Dry brining helps quite a bit when it happens.

@SonVolt… Wow!!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Griffin said:
    Stopped by a local new grocery store. Similar to a Whole Foods or Central Market. Picked up a few artisan sausages. 2 Jalapeño Jack in the back of the egg and 2 Rosemary and Italian Wine in the front

Let me guess...was the grocery store Fresh?
    Yes sir it was. Have you been yet?
    I've been twice when I was up that way.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings