Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Wok- first cook

Options

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Had to google chow fun and now i want some. 
    Yeah I don’t know what it either. But it’s got to be awesome with a name like that. I may need a trip to Chinatown to see what it’s supposed to be like before I attempt. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Yeah I don’t know what it either. But it’s got to be awesome with a name like that. I may need a trip to Chinatown to see what it’s supposed to be like before I attempt. 
    Not a lot of china town options here.  Or Asian markets.  Or good restaurants in general.  
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Right?  Always nice to have something to compare to!   New to me too. That's what makes this place great! 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Kenji said Beef Chow Fun is his “desert island” meal. His sister moved to Bozeman and couldn’t get it so he created this recipe. It really was one of the best things I have ever cooked. Certainly the best wok cook I’ve ever done but I would put it up there with just about anything I’ve learned

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Here's Kenji's "Beef Chow Fun":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLdCoXxGfSs

I wasn't really familiar with that specific recipe, but the ingredients, and the condiments, are pretty much how I cook most stir-frys, with just minor adjustments depending on ingredients and leftovers.  

I did stir-frys on Mr. Egg a few times, but my west-facing patio would just get too hot to cook out there, plus the added hassle of carrying out the small piles of mese-en-place, not spilling, and then carrying the dish back in 2 minutes later, started to suck.  
    Like @Corv, once I got my BlueStar that was where I did my SF.  Mine can't get hot enough to match a wok burner or even my Egg, but I still have my hands full cooking at full throttle; I'm good with this set up.  Still can't get a "flash" of burning oil when I toss, but I'll get there.  Or fire up my JJGeorge (which I STILL haven't remembered to do, for 2 years now).  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I messed up the seasoning on my new wok a couple of weeks ago.  The new outdoor wok burner that I got is way too powerful for my very limited skills!

paqman said:
    I messed up the seasoning on my new wok a couple of weeks ago.  The new outdoor wok burner that I got is way too powerful for my very limited skills!
    Which burner did you get? Kenji’s recommended are back ordered at least 6 months
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Botch said:
    Here's Kenji's "Beef Chow Fun":

I wasn't really familiar with that specific recipe, but the ingredients, and the condiments, are pretty much how I cook most stir-frys, with just minor adjustments depending on ingredients and leftovers.  

I did stir-frys on Mr. Egg a few times, but my west-facing patio would just get too hot to cook out there, plus the added hassle of carrying out the small piles of mese-en-place, not spilling, and then carrying the dish back in 2 minutes later, started to suck.  
    Like @Corv, once I got my BlueStar that was where I did my SF.  Mine can't get hot enough to match a wok burner or even my Egg, but I still have my hands full cooking at full throttle; I'm good with this set up.  Still can't get a "flash" of burning oil when I toss, but I'll get there.  Or fire up my JJGeorge (which I STILL haven't remembered to do, for 2 years now).  

My Bluestar heats my wok up to 600F+ in a couple minutes. It's crazy how hot it gets for a residential stove. It's been a game changer for stir frying - no more dreaded liquid pooling in the bottom of the wok. 

@paqman
    As for the seasoning, Kenji says don't worry about maintaining the seasoning on a wok. That it contracts and expands too much to build up a deep patina like you'll get in a cast iron skillet, so it'll be continuously breaking down and building back up. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • paqman
    edited May 2022
    Options
    paqman said:
    Which burner did you get? Kenji’s recommended are back ordered at least 6 months
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker

That’s the one.  The website indicated 4 months lead time back in March when I ordered.  I figured that I would get it by the end of the summer but it shipped just a few days after I placed the order and delivery to the GWN was just 2-3 days.

Options
    SonVolt said:

My Bluestar heats my wok up to 600F+ in a couple minutes. It's crazy how hot it gets for a residential stove. It's been a game changer for stir frying - no more dreaded liquid pooling in the bottom of the wok. 

@paqman
    As for the seasoning, Kenji says don't worry about maintaining the seasoning on a wok. That it contracts and expands too much to build up a deep patina like you'll get in a cast iron skillet, so it'll be continuously breaking down and building back up. 
    The wok was WAY to hot, the oil caught fire immediately when I poured it into the wok.  I was on a wood deck (not smart) when it happened so I just let it be to avoid spreading the fire.  The seasoning coating is too thick so I’m afraid it will flake right away.  It may be ok. 🤷‍♂️

Options
    Chow fun makes for some great hangover cure.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    paqman said:
    SonVolt said:

@paqman
    The wok was WAY to hot, the oil caught fire immediately when I poured it into the wok.  I was on a wood deck (not smart) when it happened so I just let it be to avoid spreading the fire.  The seasoning coating is too thick so I’m afraid it will flake right away.  It may be ok. 🤷‍♂️

Keep a dome for your wok nearby - if it bursts into flames the dome will snuff it out.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    paqman said:
    paqman said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker

That’s the one.  The website indicated 4 months lead time back in March when I ordered.  I figured that I would get it by the end of the summer but it shipped just a few days after I placed the order and delivery to the GWN was just 2-3 days.

Cool. I got nothing but time. I’ll give it a shot. Thanks!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    paqman said:
    paqman said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker

I bought one of these rigs (burner & cart) about 5 years ago - https://www.thewonderwok.com/ . Been very pleased with it (much better than the 20 year old Big Kahuna burner I replaced).
    Just another option to consider if you find you can't get one of the models you want.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Botch
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Not sure I buy this.  I'm on my fourth wok, and the 1st, 3rd and current have a pretty good black buildup (my 2nd was flat-bottom aluminum with a non-stick surface, fine for a weak-ass electric stove, now discarded).  I'm hard on my current wok, as soon as the food is plated I run cold water into it in the sink and start scrubbing, and it sizzles/thermally shocks violently.  It doesn't have a pure-black patina all the way around yet (like #1 & 3) but I've never noticed anything coming off.  

• Botch
    Options
    The wok was WAY too hot, the oil caught fire immediately when I poured it into the wok. The seasoning coating is too thick so I’m afraid it will flake right away.  It may be ok. 🤷‍♂️
    The seasoning is only "too thick" if it's sticky, and per "Cowboy Kent Rollins" all you have to do is heat the damn thing until the smoking starts to decline, you'll be fine after that.  
    And a hint about your pan getting too hot: when I'm done cooking, after I've scrubbed the pan clean and dried it, I rub in a tiny bit of oil and throw it back on the burner, with the vent fan still running.  Once I see it start to smoke, I kill the burner, and then don't worry about it until I cook again.
    When I start my next meal, I preheat the pan and sometimes add just a few drops of oil; once that starts smoking, pour in the usual amount of oil, swirl it, and start cooking.  If you add a tablespoon or two of oil into a cold pan, and wait until all of it starts smoking, ALL that oil has already begun breaking down.  Instead, use a couple of "sacrificial drops" and then add the rest of the oil.  (I've never poured in oil and had it spontaneously combust; wow!)  

• paqman
    Options
    @Botch There is definitely some stickiness toward the top of the wok

Options
    paqman said:
    paqman said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker

You are in for a treat.  It is a beast.  I recommend using welding gloves or a dish towel at minimum.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Botch
    edited June 2022
    Options
    paqman said:
    @Botch There is definitely some stickiness toward the top of the wok
    Yeah, I have that too.  The really hot oil at the bottom continues to spatter upward while you cook, and the top rim never gets as hot and doesn't smoke/polymerize like the bottom.  It only becomes an issue if I haven't used my wok in a long time, and the sticky rim is covered with detritus/dandruff/dead dustmites/ doghair; then I try to at least rinse it before cooking...  :D

• paqman
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac What flame setting are you using?  Even at the lowest flame I find that it is heating really hot!

Options
    paqman said:
    @Ozzie_Isaac What flame setting are you using?  Even at the lowest flame I find that it is heating really hot!
    I use about 1/3 - 1/2 power to heat the wok just till it starts to smoke.  Then I back it all the way off till just the pilot is lit.  At that point I oil it.  Depending on what I am cooking I will either keep just pilot on or  ramp the heat back up just before adding my protein.  At that point I adjust the flame while cooking.

Kenji Lopez has a few good videos.where he uses the burner.  I closely watched his technique.

https://youtu.be/cpoSvprBJpE
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Not a Wok Burner, but I am sure this will work ( since I have one already)? Thoughts

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Botch said:
    Not sure I buy this.  I'm on my fourth wok, and the 1st, 3rd and current have a pretty good black buildup (my 2nd was flat-bottom aluminum with a non-stick surface, fine for a weak-ass electric stove, now discarded).  I'm hard on my current wok, as soon as the food is plated I run cold water into it in the sink and start scrubbing, and it sizzles/thermally shocks violently.  It doesn't have a pure-black patina all the way around yet (like #1 & 3) but I've never noticed anything coming off.  

I think his point was not to baby it like a cherished piece of cast iron.   He also said a lot of the black on a wok is "black oxide" and not traditional "seasoning" that we associate with cast iron.  
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Not a Wok Burner, but I am sure this will work ( since I have one already)? Thoughts

Should work just fine.  I used a Bayou Classic Burner for years.  Needed to use a flat bottom Wok, other then that it, it worked.
  • CP92
    CP92 Posts: 324
    Options
    Looks amazing!  Temp control on a wok is crucial, so is being able to adjust the temp quickly.  I have found I prefer my gas burners for this. Did you use the egg?
    I did. I just pull it off when I need to calm it down. I may get a wok burner but the egg works pretty well for me. 
    Started my wok adventure a couple of weeks ago and like you I've already started researching a dedicated wok burner. Highly suspect that's what my mid-year bonus is going to go to along with a Blackstone I believe.

Chris
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    For those looking for a wok burner, I have a few different ones of varying power.  The 160k BTU burner Kenji recommends is amazing.  It is very dynamic and allows going from cool heat to insane heat in a flash.  Really goes beyond my feeble skills.

I have a 60k BTU burner that has excellent temp control and enables the wok to get incredibly hot.  It is not as dynamic and takes a 10-15 seconds to go from cool heat to ripping hot.  I still get great wok hei on this burner and find it more manageable.  I also do not need the welding gloves while using it with a long handled wok.

Personally, you cannot go wrong with either a 60k BTU or a 160k BTU burner.  One is like a Top Fuel Dragster, and the other is like Pro Stock.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    CP92 said:
    Looks amazing!  Temp control on a wok is crucial, so is being able to adjust the temp quickly.  I have found I prefer my gas burners for this. Did you use the egg?
    I did. I just pull it off when I need to calm it down. I may get a wok burner but the egg works pretty well for me. 
    Started my wok adventure a couple of weeks ago and like you I've already started researching a dedicated wok burner. Highly suspect that's what my mid-year bonus is going to go to along with a Blackstone I believe.

Chris
    Mid-year bonus sounds luxurious. My company spends the back half of the year trying claw back what I made in the first half lol. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    For those looking for a wok burner, I have a few different ones of varying power.  The 160k BTU burner Kenji recommends is amazing.  It is very dynamic and allows going from cool heat to insane heat in a flash.  Really goes beyond my feeble skills.

I have a 60k BTU burner that has excellent temp control and enables the wok to get incredibly hot.  It is not as dynamic and takes a 10-15 seconds to go from cool heat to ripping hot.  I still get great wok hei on this burner and find it more manageable.  I also do not need the welding gloves while using it with a long handled wok.

Personally, you cannot go wrong with either a 60k BTU or a 160k BTU burner.  One is like a Top Fuel Dragster, and the other is like Pro Stock.
    Great insight. Thank you for this. Im still going for the top fuel dragster but it’s nice to know there are sensible
    options out there for normal people 😂
  • CP92
    CP92 Posts: 324
    Options

Mid-year bonus sounds luxurious. My company spends the back half of the year trying claw back what I made in the first half lol. 

Benefits of working for Uncle Sam in a highly technical field. :wink:
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD