Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking For a Chip Dip Recipe Recommendation

Options
2»

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I tried tzatziki once (recipe from someone on here) and didn't care for it at all. To each his own.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• slick_rick
    Options
    Check out Malcom Reed’s smoked cream cheese with bacon and onions.
    I must say I’ve tried several smoked cream cheese recipes and they are winners. I am positive Malcolm’s would be great as he is a national treasure. Good call Darth! 
    Anyone have a link for this I just tried searching, but couldn't find anything. Want to give this a try!
    MED - Manhattan
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    Check out Malcom Reed’s smoked cream cheese with bacon and onions.
    I must say I’ve tried several smoked cream cheese recipes and they are winners. I am positive Malcolm’s would be great as he is a national treasure. Good call Darth! 
    Anyone have a link for this I just tried searching, but couldn't find anything. Want to give this a try!
    https://youtu.be/zDMtHU4h_1s
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    So "smoked cream cheese" isn't really smoked, it is just melted on the grill?

I was expecting cold smoked cheese.

I was going to cold smoke a block this weekend to use in poppers, but I was going to allow it to mellow for two weeks, like I do all of my cold smoked cheese.  I thought maybe I was missing something.

His recipe looks good!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Langner91 said:

I was going to cold smoke a block this weekend to use in poppers, but I was going to allow it to mellow for two weeks, like I do all of my cold smoked cheese.  I thought maybe I was missing something.

His recipe looks good!
    If you do his recipe on the BGE with some wood chunks, over two hours the cream cheese does pick up some smoke flavor.  Not overpowering, but it’s there in my experience.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    Langner91 said:

His recipe looks good!

no reason to mellow smoked cream cheese, its good off the egg or at room temp. score it like a ham with diamond slits, makes it more presentable as it doesnt get all cracked on top. fruit woods work well for the smoke, i use blueberry
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Langner91 said:

His recipe looks good!
    If you do his recipe on the BGE with some wood chunks, over two hours the cream cheese does pick up some smoke flavor.  Not overpowering, but it’s there in my experience.
    I've only ever done it on a pellet pooper @225. I used a rub on it as well. I went a couple hours on the first one which was the best one I've done. I liked it and was surprised it didn't melt into a puddle of mush.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options
    WeberWho said:

That looks delicious!
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    WeberWho said:

You win today.  How was it?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    ^^^^^Agree^^^^^^

Will Ferrell Agree GIF
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Thanks for the inspiration, @WeberWho. We are fans of the pepper jelly poured over a plain brick of cream cheese and I'm sure this really cranks it up a notch.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    I thought that was smoked salmon, only now realized it’s bacon.  
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    Legume said:
    I thought that was smoked salmon, only now realized it’s bacon.  

I don't think you could go wrong either way. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    No friggin agree button.