Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Your Ashes

Options
What do you all do with your ashes after cleaning up?  I've always struggled trying to find a place in the yard to dump them.  My routine is  cleanup ashes before my new cook, so everything is totally cold.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Garbage can.  Be careful where you put them on soil.  It has a lot of good nutrients but it also raises the pH, increasing alkalinity. 

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/wood_ash_in_the_garden
    Options
    Yep I have one little 2’ patch in my yard where grass has never grown (right against a fence and gets no sun).   Perfect little dumping ground, been using it for 20yrs.   
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • FlyOverCountry
    Options
    My parents wanted theres buried in the backyard.  So that’s where we put them right next to gramamma and popo.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,410
    Options
    I'm with @Mickey here.  After my trip to the human BBQ oven, I'm off to feed the fish in the waters of the Pacific.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I'm with @Mickey here.  After my trip to the human BBQ oven, I'm off to feed the fish in the waters of the Pacific.  
    You have a particular spot in the Pacific picked out, Frank?  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    Options
     I throw mine in the neighbors yard.
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,410
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina - I will save the reveal for Friday night, 12/3 if asked!  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @JohnInCarolina - I will save the reveal for Friday night, 12/3 if asked!  

That’s worth the price of admission all by itself there, Frank.  Looking forward to it!
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    We can put ours in the ‘Green Bin’ which has food waste for pickup each week.   If I have too much, then the trash.  I figure it’s not the worst thing to go to the landfill.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,769
    Options
    I keep an ash bucket half full under the drain of my offset (clumps up the grease)  , other ash goes in the green waste 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,128
    edited November 2021
    Options
    You empty after every cook?  I empty when ot gets close to the bottom of my charcoal grate.

Depending on what I need, I either put in the trash, or in the garden.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Mr1egg
    Mr1egg Posts: 368
    Options
    I empty every cook, like to keep my airflow perfect!! I just throw it in the trash. 
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options

I keep a small one near the eggs and just pull everything out and vacuum them up.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I put ashes in a galvanized bucket that has a lid.  Once that fills, I transfer to a garbage bag.  That happens maybe 6 times a year.   
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

such a great movie, lol
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I open a lid and aim the leaf blower at the air intake.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Galvanized bucket, for at least 24 hours. 

Had a near-disaster once, so they live in a metal bucket for 24 hours, then they go in the trash.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I like a good layer of ash.  Here is my thinking:

The extra ash insulates the bottom from the radiant heat and limits the transient temp spikes.  It also slows down the the thermo response so reduces the likelihood of a thermo shock causing cracks in the base.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,848
    Options
    I like a good layer of ash.  Here is my thinking:

The extra ash insulates the bottom from the radiant heat and limits the transient temp spikes.  It also slows down the the thermo response so reduces the likelihood of a thermo shock causing cracks in the base.
    I also use this line of thinking to justify my innate laziness.   :)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I open a lid and aim the leaf blower at the air intake.
    I like it. Let the wind do its thing.  It's also a good way to deal with leaves.
  • RyanStl
    Options
    Anyone see a problem dumping them under pine trees? The new place has two pines and nothing but honey suckle grows within them.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Like some others have already said I use a 10 gallon galvanized garbage can with tight lid…Ithen annually I will dump it underneath the root area of an OLD uprooted tree that spans a ravine behind us.
    and if this thread really mean to address dumping HOT, still burning coals…THEN  WHY would you be doing that???
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I spread them in the grass with the sweep of the bucket. Even better with a tail wind
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    Anyone see a problem dumping them under pine trees? The new place has two pines and nothing but honey suckle grows within them.
    I had a buddy who dumped his ash beneath a stand of pine trees.  One night the trees caught on fire.  That became a problem.  Luckily, the fire department got them under control.
  • Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Options
    I always dump my COLD ashes in the garden. I also put coffee grinds around the rose bushes
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    I don't Egg every day, so I let the ashes cool until the next cook. I also like a layer of ash in the bottom for the reasons above. When I am ready for the next cook, I pull out the Kick Ash basket and shake it in a Rubbermaid Roughneck garbage can, refill the Egg, and fire it up. Those ashes go in the regular garbage every few weeks. Once or twice a year I pull out the innards and vacuum up the ashes hidden there. 
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I throw them into my flower bed. It’s a knockout rose I can’t even kill, so I don’t care. 

I usually leave some, it helps insulate and I also think it prolongs the base too. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • RyanStl
    Options
    I like the galvanized can idea.  Ron, yes talking cold ashes.  I made a mistake once putting day old ashes in a compost pile.  Got home from work and the wood box was smoking like crazy.  I was able to hose down before it got out of control.