Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's cookin' for Thanksgiving 2021??

Options

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    Botch said:
    Don't forget to set your bathroom scales back 15 lbs before going to bed tonight!  
    LoL
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    I have been guided for a few decades by the following weight objective: " Weigh yourself on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and then hit that target the first Wednesday after the New Year."  
    Sometimes success... Regardless enjoy the groceries.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FarmingPhD
    Options
    Ham (support pork producers and better leftovers), potato rolls, cranberry relish, mashed taters, sweet potato crème brûlée, apple pie, and pumpkin pie.
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Smoking a ham with a bourbon glaze and we are making sweet potato casserole, chicken dressing, corn casserole, Lima beans, and bread pudding with sauce! I can’t wait!
    LBGE
    AL
  • gonepostal
    Options
    In recent years, Thanksgiving Eve has turned into an overnight butt cook for me. Have 4 in the works as I type this. 2 right now and 2 more after those are done in the morning. All for fellow coworkers that are going the untraditional route for whatever reason. 

As for the family meal, I have been assigned the dressing, peas, and fried turkey. 19 + on the bird so a tad nervous on whether or not it fits the pot.
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    We have some mission creep, on this side. 

I was assigned to make a pecan pie. Then, found out that wouldn’t be any turkey. Hence, the turkey roulade thread. 

But… what’s Thanksgiving without cranberries, in some form?

And, what about stuffing/dressing?

I’ll need to pack a bigger cooler, to take all this stuff :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,473
    Options
    Ham (support pork producers and better leftovers), potato rolls, cranberry relish, mashed taters, sweet potato crème brûlée, apple pie, and pumpkin pie.
    I'm not normally a dessert guy, but deets please.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Put 4 pork tenderloins in the fridge to marinate until about noon tomorrow. Using the Caribbean wet rub that uses lime, spiced rum , allspice, onion powder, paprika, black pepper, cayenne, lemon pepper, brown sugar, and salt. Eating at my brother in laws mom’s house at three. 
  • FarmingPhD
    Options
    Botch said:
    I'm not normally a dessert guy, but deets please.  
    Rough copy of this with what I had on hand.  I do it all in a casserole dish since I don’t have ramekins.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/robert-irvine/sweet-potato-creme-brulee-recipe-1939819
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    caliking said:
    Legume said:
    Fried turkey, cornbread dressing, 1lb bacon with 2lbs green beans, yada yada, pumpkin & apple pies, blueberry ginger crumble.
    I zeroed in on the blueberry ginger crumble. Could you share the recipe?
    “Agree”
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Having my side of the family over this year. Wifeys side has like 14 people. My side is 6. Smoking a turkey and a pork butt in the AM. Will eat the turkey at lunchtime and then have the pork butt for dinner. All the typical sides, and I made a pumpkin pie and a bourbon pecan pie with Woodford for dessert. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    caliking said:
    Legume said:
    Fried turkey, cornbread dressing, 1lb bacon with 2lbs green beans, yada yada, pumpkin & apple pies, blueberry ginger crumble.
    I zeroed in on the blueberry ginger crumble. Could you share the recipe?
    “Agree”

Have at it - new recipe for us, so don't know how it will be.
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    Did a turkey last year and with only two of us a new definition of eternity. This year Cornish hens along with an acorn squash with filling. 
    Christmas will be with grandkids, I hope and probably Grandpa will bring his usual butt. 
    Cooking on the coast
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Its go time!!

The spreadsheet Stuffing is done. Blind baking the pie crust for the maple pecan pie, as we speak. Turkey roulade went into the bath a little while ago. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    ryantt said:
    The bread just finished up.  

Nice curvy slit!
    canuckland
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    Stuffing police here.  You’re making dressing.  

Carry on.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    For the first time in many holidays….I’m cooking zero. Just a guest, and not disappointed 
    The same for me. I have been in Houma, La for the past 3 days renewing my BOSIET/HUET and did not get home until late yesterday. I am cooking nada. I’m so sore I can’t walk. But I prepared ahead. Have a honey baked ham and a few of their pies. So all is not lost 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,967
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Legume said:
    Stuffing police here.  You’re making dressing.  

Carry on.
    True but it did not look right to my eye  with the actual salad dressing in the line below. Too much “dressing” 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    DMW said:
    Since I had the XXL going, I offered space to my neighbor for his turkey. I removed the breastbones from mine, he didn’t. 
    MAN that’s a BIG A EGG! Happy roasting and thanks giving!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    caliking said:
    Maple pecan pie with dark chocolate. 
    For the win in my book today.  Looks great.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @DMW -great gesture.  Hopefully he did his own spatching.  Tool of choice for that?

• Buckwoody Egger
    Buckwoody Egger Posts: 674
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Turkey with kosher salt only on the skin, mad max seasoning (dizzy pig) in the cavity. Making gravy with what we catch in the paella pan that sits on the plate setter with spacers.   Call it a “deconstructed” cook compared to the roasting pan and butter bath of the mad max method (which is also great). Experimenting with a little bit of neck skin for fun.  Playlist is Spotify Thanksgiving Dinner.