Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I measured the chainsaw compression ....60 psi.  F*ck.

Took it apart and yep... cheap tools are hit or miss.
    It takes a damn good saw to mill lumber. Looks like it over heated.  
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    I would say at a minimum 65cc saw with a chain filed at 0-5 degrees. If you can run a narrow kerf all the better.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    I would say at a minimum 65cc saw with a chain filed at 0-5 degrees. If you can run a narrow kerf all the better.

can you buy the right chain or do you just butcher a chain for cutting like this
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    That was a 62cc saw with a 0.325 pitch and 0.058 gauge, which is ideal.  20 inch bar.

But I think you are right @alaskanassasin that I need more power.  I'm going to look for an over-100 cc saw.  I want to put on a 30-36" bar.
    Options
    That was a 62cc saw with a 0.325 pitch and 0.058 gauge, which is ideal.  20 inch bar.

But I think you are right @alaskanassasin that I need more power.  I'm going to look for an over-100 cc saw.  I want to put on a 30-36" bar.
    Buddy of mine who has a tree business has Stihl's new MS500i. The first electrotonically controlled fuel injected saw. It's a beast
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• alaskanassasin
    Options

can you buy the right chain or do you just butcher a chain for cutting like this

You can buy ripping chain, a decent saw shop should have some on a spool and splice one together for you.

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options

If you want to get serious with a bigger saw you will want mini 3/8" ripping chain, that would be a smaller tooth chain that runs on 3/8 drive sprocket which a 100cc saw would come with standard, plus filed at about 5 degrees, and full skip so every other tooth is missing to allow for better clean out.

What you were using was probably .325 safety chain. But the burnt piston has me wondering what your mix ratio was on the fuel oil blend.  @eoin could probably look at the piston and tell you something.  

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options

If you want to get serious with a bigger saw you will want mini 3/8" ripping chain, that would be a smaller tooth chain that runs on 3/8 drive sprocket which a 100cc saw would come with standard, plus filed at about 5 degrees, and full skip so every other tooth is missing to allow for better clean out.

What you were using was probably .325 safety chain. But the burnt piston has me wondering what your mix ratio was on the fuel oil blend.  @eoin could probably look at the piston and tell you something.  

Hard to tell if the material picked up because of lack of lube. That job is hard work, maybe just too heavy a duty cycle and overheated. I always run a 2 stroke slightly rich just in case.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,035
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I measured the chainsaw compression ....60 psi.  F*ck.

Took it apart and yep... cheap tools are hit or miss.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I was running about 45 to 1, little richer than what's called for.  I agree, ripping chain needed.  Probably will run more oil and stick with full synthetic on my next saw or new cylinder/piston

Options
    Also I won't run WOT, I'll detune it some
    Options
    I was running about 45 to 1, little richer than what's called for.  I agree, ripping chain needed.  Probably will run more oil and stick with full synthetic on my next saw or new cylinder/piston

went with amsoil 100 to 1 in my ice auger, best thing i ever did. thing was a beast until i switched to a light weight electric drill. wouldnt hesitate to put it in a chainsaw . faster, no smoke
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Just reading about inflation. Seems this trillion dollar bill might not help? They said highest inflation in 30 years. Ouch.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Signed. Sealed. Delivered. 
    The easiest car buying experience ever. In and out in about ~30 minutes. 5.9 miles when I left the dealership. 

We love our Outback.  It’s gone to the desert and the mountains, and all places in between.  In 4 years it’ll go to college with SWMBO Jr and we’ll get another.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Lit said:
    Just reading about inflation. Seems this trillion dollar bill might not help? They said highest inflation in 30 years. Ouch.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    The easiest car buying experience ever. In and out in about ~30 minutes. 5.9 miles when I left the dealership. 

Nice, what trim did you get? We will replace SWMBOs car in a few more years and I will get a new ride then and give her the GX we bought last year. Right now its a tie between The New Bronco, Jeep JLU, or an Outback.  Im really digging the Wilderness Trim

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options
    ColtsFan said:

Nice, what trim did you get? We will replace SWMBOs car in a few more years and I will get a new ride then and give her the GX we bought last year. Right now its a tie between The New Bronco, Jeep JLU, or an Outback.  Im really digging the Wilderness Trim
    The wilderness is badasz. I chose the Premium trim level. The technology is crazy on this thing. Good thing I’m a tech guy….lol

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    Options

Sometimes running extra oil causes a lean fuel/air ratio as you are displacing some of the fuel with oil. 5 parts should be safe, but that is 10%. Take it from a guy that's burnt down a lot of 2 strokes, lol
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    ColtsFan said:

How much over sticker?

Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    This does not look like a 93k ride. Must be a Jeep thing?

Snellville, GA

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    edited November 2021
    Options
    This does not look like a 93k ride. Must be a Jeep thing?

Crazy expensive but the inside is ridiculously nice. 

https://youtu.be/-ZIbGCrgf1M
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • ColtsFan
    Options
    ColtsFan said:

How much over sticker?

$1300 under MSRP. 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    ColtsFan said:

How much over sticker?

$1300 under MSRP. 

That’s like a unicorn these days.  Nice score man!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    That white looks a lot better than the grey one. Wow the inside is very nice! Not 100k nice though. 
    Snellville, GA

• ColtsFan
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    ColtsFan said:

How much over sticker?

$1300 under MSRP. 

That’s like a unicorn these days.  Nice score man!
    I can’t say enough nice things about the dealership I chose. There’s a reason I bought from a place 1.25 hours from me and not from the local dealership right down the road. 

Purchased under MSRP
    No dealer fee
    No document fee
    Just purchase price and sales tax. Definitely not your typical dreaded experience at a car dealership.