Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Comments

• caliking said:
    Caliqueen’s birthday dinner. 

Panko crusted SV lamb (Anova recipe, subbed miso + mirin for the mustard); chilled beet cairn, with honey mascarpone and balsamic vinaigrette; ‘shrooms sautéed in the lamb trimmings. 

Not the best plated shot, but it all turned out well. 

Wow. My birthday is in July. Just saying. 

The lamb looks beautifully cooked. That beet looks like a macaron!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @caliking - a plate of beauty.  Perfect finish on that lamb.  Congrats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    @caliking - just WOW is all I got!  Happy Birthday to the Queen. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • caliking said:
    Caliqueen’s birthday dinner. 

Panko crusted SV lamb (Anova recipe, subbed miso + mirin for the mustard); chilled beet cairn, with honey mascarpone and balsamic vinaigrette; ‘shrooms sautéed in the lamb trimmings. 

Not the best plated shot, but it all turned out well. 

That looks incredible.  Love the beet cairn concept.  Very cool man.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited October 2021
    @JohnInCarolina @GrateEggspectations the beet thingy paired surprisingly well with the lamb. The filling called for goat cheese, which I didn't have on hand. Definitely worth repeating. 

@Mattman3969 Thanks for the birthday wishes. I will let her know. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    caliking said:
    @JohnInCarolina @GrateEggspectations the beet thingy paired surprisingly well with the lamb. The filling called for goat cheese, which I didn't have on hand. Definitely worth repeating. 

Beets and goat cheese with some balsamic, olive oil and candied nuts is one of my favorite side dishes.  Enough so we make it for a light main quite often. 
  • MasterC said:
    Made some lunch frog legs with jalapeno cheddar potato patties

A little boring but low-sodium 
    Those were some big frogs!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    MasterC said:

I don’t remember frog legs having toes…. 

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• U_tarded said:
    caliking said:

Beets and goat cheese with some balsamic, olive oil and candied nuts is one of my favorite side dishes.  Enough so we make it for a light main quite often. 
    Have made this as a side a lot, but have never thought about it as a main. You just solved tonight’s dinner, my man! Out of goat cheese, so subbing in some grilled halloumi instead. Thanks. 
  • caliking
    U_tarded said:
    caliking said:

I had the same thought! They were tasty and pretty easy to put together. Love the idea of the candied nuts.

• U_tarded
    edited October 2021
    caliking said:
    U_tarded said:
    caliking said:

I had the same thought! They were tasty and pretty easy to put together. Love the idea of the candied nuts.
    There is a fancy farm to table restaurant here that we stole this from.  If you want to really church it up make some balsamic gelatin (unflavored gelatin and balsamic vinegar) we do that in a silicone tray and then slice in small cubes.  Doesn’t taste any different but reduces liquids on the plate.

edit found an old photo of red and gold beets with white balsamic jelly.
  • caliking
    Chicken enchiladas thanks to whoever shared the “Stan the cooking guy.”

I'd kill that plate. Did you make the chorizo crema, too? I haven't been able to get that out of my head. 

• caliking
    U_tarded said:
    caliking said:
    U_tarded said:
    caliking said:

There is a fancy farm to table restaurant here that we stole this from.  If you want to really church it up make some balsamic gelatin (unflavored gelatin and balsamic vinegar) we do that in a silicone tray and then slice in small cubes.  Doesn’t taste any different but reduces liquids on the plate.

Wow! This just keeps getting better. Are those 'maters in the beet cairn, or something else?

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    U_tarded said:
    There is a fancy farm to table restaurant here that we stole this from. 
    Deets, please?   :)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• @caliking I did make the chorizo cream sauce, it was solid.  I had been thinking about this meal for a week, spatched the chicken on Saturday, and was anticipating for two days, so my expectations were likely higher than it delivered.  I will say the melted jack and crème in the bottom of the pan was insanely good.  I should have added more cream to the enchilada pan as well.
  • caliking
    caliking said:
    U_tarded said:
    Sorry… just saw that you mentioned gold beets. I don’ read good, apparently. 

• U_tarded
    Botch said:
    U_tarded said:
    There is a fancy farm to table restaurant here that we stole this from. 
    Deets, please?   :)
    St George, it’s called Painted Pony.  Pretty good stuff.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,456
    Chicken enchiladas thanks to whoever shared the “Stan the cooking guy.”

Sam the cooking guy, perhaps?
    canuckland
  • caliking

Dang!

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    Botch said:
    MasterC said:

I don’t remember frog legs having toes…. 
    The legs do not have toes.  The feet do.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS