Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gulf Coast Eggers: Ida

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    This is in the back of a friend's house a couple blocks from me (where we did the BBQ the other night).
  • Well I have a pole chain saw but I couldn't get there, no electricity to charge my car for the return trip . Stuck on parent tending duty for the second time in a week. I think that I will cook the chicken breasts that I bought till they are tough so I will stop getting called every time that I turn around.
  • nolaegghead
    Well I have a pole chain saw but I couldn't get there, no electricity to charge my car for the return trip . Stuck on parent tending duty for the second time in a week. I think that I will cook the chicken breasts that I bought till they are tough so I will stop getting called every time that I turn around.
    I've always wondered if anyone pulled a trailer with a generator and fuel.  Might defeat the purpose but for venturing into remote or crippled areas, you can always get home.

I got the pole saw, cheap from Harbor Freight a few years back.  What a great, useful tool.  Anyway, I've been using the hell out of these....

That Weimars 20" 62cc chainsaw is a beast.  It is quality for the price and has a small cult following.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DXY6P15/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_wInx3gwwTikaT
    That link is for the smaller saw.  I paid $143, and it's a clone of a Stihl MS 311 which is over 500 clams.
    Walmart.com used to have the best price on replacement chains for that HF pole saw. My yard guy loved it so much, that he bought one for himself. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/09/05/new-orleans-ida-power/

Haha...the first two pics were shot directly in front of my old house on Olivier and Pelican st. And I know one of the people in the story.  Story is about my hood.

Anyway, still no power...we are on day 8
    edited September 2021
    Operation BBQ Relief provided 2000 BBQ meals for distribution in Cut Off, LA to families affected by Hurricane Ida.

Please consider a donation!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    Always donate to Operation BBQ relief in these situations.  
    Thank my lucky stars that their operation has not reached within several hundred miles of me.
    And if so inspired here's a link:
    https://operationbbqrelief.org/  
    Do it!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    loco_engr said:
    Operation BBQ Relief provided 2000 BBQ meals for distribution in Cut Off, LA to families affected by Hurricane Ida.

Please consider a donation!
    I've been thinking about making a donation, for the past week. Your post nudged me in the right direction. Thanks.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    Still no power.  They say by the 8th.  I just got back from dropping a friend off in uptown.  Lots of power there and in Gretna.  Some power in my neighborhood.  Just not here.
    Friend of mine was bored, wife and daughter still out of town with the car.  So I picked him up and we disassembled his wrecked boat.
    Cleaned up a bunch of utility pole debris.  Looks better.  Still working on my electric service.
    Central AC is working again!

Great!!!!!!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    That’s beyond Awesome!
    Hope it stays stable.
    Relax for at least a day, you earn it!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    poster said:
    Curious, is flood insurance or hurricane damage insurance available on your houses? I know flood is difficult to get where I am and a bad storm here is 1-2 inches of rain. We had a "100 year" storm a few years back which saw 4" in 24 hours. Absolutely nothing compared to what you guys see. We do have below grade basements, but i can't imagine what the premium would be in a hurricane zone if its even available at all?

i got out of the govt program which was over 7k a year increasing 25 percent per year. my mortgage company was good with flood insurance thru Lloyds of london, its just over 700 per year now. game changer

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    poster said:
    Curious, is flood insurance or hurricane damage insurance available on your houses? I know flood is difficult to get where I am and a bad storm here is 1-2 inches of rain. We had a "100 year" storm a few years back which saw 4" in 24 hours. Absolutely nothing compared to what you guys see. We do have below grade basements, but i can't imagine what the premium would be in a hurricane zone if its even available at all?

i got out of the govt program which was over 7k a year increasing 25 percent per year. my mortgage company was good with flood insurance thru Lloyds of london, its just over 700 per year now. game changer

I wonder why yours was so much more.   I'm in New Orleans, although the house is about 12 feet above sea level, three blocks from me is the Mississippi where the water level is often 17 feet above sea level. 

So my house probably wouldn't get water in it (unlike most of New Orleans) if the hurricane levee was breached, I would def have problems if the Mississippi levee broke during spring thaw.

(note, my house is about 4 feet higher than the road in front of it so vehicles would be flooded long before the house).

(note2, my shop in back of house is 3 feet lower than my house)
    poster said:

Rates here are going higher and higher every year, and now with building material costs I bet it goes up even more. I'm at about $1750/year full coverage including contents. I have a 10k cap on foundation flood damage. Burst pipe and over land flooding is different (I think). Lots of wood stoves in my area and oil furnaces which raises rates for those people even more. I'm lucky to be on natural gas.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    poster said:

I wonder why yours was so much more.   I'm in New Orleans, although the house is about 12 feet above sea level, three blocks from me is the Mississippi where the water level is often 17 feet above sea level. 

So my house probably wouldn't get water in it (unlike most of New Orleans) if the hurricane levee was breached, I would def have problems if the Mississippi levee broke during spring thaw.

i have no idea, went from a no flood zone to the current one a few years back starting around 4k per year and it jumps every year since then. small dam about a third mile upsteam that literally holds just a few dozen swimming pools worth of water and the flood plain is huge under it. i doubt i would even know if the dam failed yet have had the firedept with bull horns in my yard telling me to evacuate. neighbor tried to get out of it by having the yard height checked and they suggested lifting the building with the dropout front and back walls and their ins doubled after having it checked. most that could happen is someone screws up winter lake releases but even then we are talking 6 inches wet sheet rock on the floor which they wont cover anyways. i wont even ask what it would cost to ins the family beach house, that ones paid for and ive heard over 40 k for others on the beach. machine shop here is also in a flood plain, last flood the state came in and turned into a dam to divert the river flow, nothing covered and it was insured. i think the system is rigged against the north
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    One big problem we're having here is trash pickup.  There are areas that haven't had trash picked up in 3 weeks.

Heat plus humidity plus 3-week old garbage = stinks like you wouldn't believe

Wait until people start burning it in the streets.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 839
    edited September 2021
    My lineman crew friend is still down there as of Wednesday, projected another 2 weeks minimum.  Was in New Orleans.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    One big problem we're having here is trash pickup.  There are areas that haven't had trash picked up in 3 weeks.

We are almost there.  The crying on Nextdoor is unbelievable.  Our mayor recently suggested that the dump is open for people to bring their own trash.  She should have said nothing.
    NOLA
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,418
    Latoya can’t help herself…..
  • buzd504 said:

We are almost there.  The crying on Nextdoor is unbelievable.  Our mayor recently suggested that the dump is open for people to bring their own trash.  She should have said nothing.
    I was mostly joking.  I have been to international cities where it's common for citizens to burn their trash in the streets, and the stench is pretty awful.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    The mayor of NO, LaToya Cantrell, is a carpet bagger from (I think) California.  What drives me craziest about her is how she mispronounces "New Orleans".  I guess it's not mispronounced if you're doing an SNL skit.
    Of course, I'm wrong, she doesn't pronounce it *this* bad, but it drives SWMBO nuts