Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gulf Coast Eggers: Ida

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    My poor waterfront rental. The house is on another 4 foot chainwall but my man cave is about to flood. I put my speakers on top of my lazboys and I’m praying they make it!! River should crest overnight tonight. Planning 17ft. 3 foot higher than this!

This deck is usually about 15-18 foot above the water line!!! and I park my boats under it.

I’ve never in 9 years seen my FROnt yard flood!!

Wishing you the best outcome!
    Hope the winds lay down and let the rivers drain.
    Hang in there
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 839
    I have a friend who runs a lineman crew down there.  They went down on Saturday and waited in Biloxi for the storm to clear and then headed in.  

Praying for you folks and glad to see you made it through safe.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    Friend of mine that lives near my shop (and used to be a block from our house) called me up: got any lump?  I gave him my only unopened bag and 3 briquettes.   He has an XL BGE...."can you use briquettes in an egg?" F yeah I said.  Just more ash.

He has a huge 25kva natural gas generator and was powering some of his brothers stuff next door and two neighbors on the other side.  He stored his VW bug in my shop a while back.

Anyway he showed me a MIL tiny house he built in his back yard and his bug project....good guys.

Are high heels approved shop/hurricane foot wear?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    A section of Highway 26 washed out and two people died when they didn’t see it. That would be west of Lucedale in George County MS.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    damn, the shop looks like it took a pretty bad hit. sorry to see that, cleanup doesn't look fun.  glad to hear everyone's healthy, though.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Gulfcoastguy
    A section of Highway 26 washed out and two people died when they didn’t see it. That would be west of Lucedale in George County MS.
    That was a total of 10 people,  2 dead and 4 critical. Happens to be a section of road that I had previously repaved and put up guard rails on. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    That was a total of 10 people,  2 dead and 4 critical. Happens to be a section of road that I had previously repaved and put up guard rails on. 
    Was it a bridge or the roadway just washed away?  We have that happen in AZ occasionally, usually on mountain roads or hillsides.  One of those things you just expect to be there.  Scary.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Was it a bridge or the roadway just washed away?  We have that happen in AZ occasionally, usually on mountain roads or hillsides.  One of those things you just expect to be there.  Scary.
    There was a culvert at that location. I don't have access to the records any longer to tell if it was a jointed concrete pipe or a non jointed concrete box culvert. In the next few days I might run into some of my former coworkers who do know. It is an older 2 lane highway probably constructed prior to WW II due to the characteristic over head steel truss bridges on it. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    It is an older 2 lane highway probably constructed prior to WW II due to the characteristic over head steel truss bridges on it. 
    I have caught many catfish under that old bridge. There use to be (might still be) a plaque there that said built in 1948. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Yep, by the skin of your teeth. Good to hear.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Scott, awesome luck!
    Some random shots, haven't had much free time.
    the amount of destruction is hard to comprehend.  i sure hate flooding.  
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I sure did get some kind of lucky!!!! 
    Glad to hear it brother. Thankful we did get very lucky this time 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    I sure did get some kind of lucky!!!! That brown line is the high water line on the foundation of my man cave shed. Literally an inch from flooding!!! The river crested this morning.

My outhouse wasn’t so lucky, but no big deal.

Truly lucky. But if it doesn't have a wooden bench with a hole cut in it, it ain't no outhouse! I see an outlet, when do you add the bidet?
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • nolaegghead
    Finally got the water pumped out of my shop.
    @nolaegghead glad you're safe. Remember generator oil change  ;)
    How do you like the MB gravity? I heard it's good but eats charcoal like crazy.
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    @nolaegghead glad you're safe. Remember generator oil change  ;)
    How do you like the MB gravity? I heard it's good but eats charcoal like crazy.
    Already changed oil in the two biggest generators. 

My experience with the gravity wasn't great because the fan wasn't working so we had a jury-rigged fan on it and holding temp was tough.  Also, seemed to have some of the same characteristics of a pellet grill in the heat differential....hottest near the fire.

Much of that was probably user error.

DUMB DUMB question here - OK??? EVEN without this horrible flooding and all the latent moisture then how do you keep all your expensive power tools from rusting? much less locking up the internal hidden components with rust even in GOOD times down there in humid NO???
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Crazy to think I enjoyed a home cooked meal, talking with you about the boat, the pump and seeing the neighborhood just weeks before all of this.  Sad to see what Mother Nature can do in just a blink of an eye at the same time glad you and the family are all ok!  
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • nolaegghead

RRP said:
    DUMB DUMB question here - OK??? EVEN without this horrible flooding and all the latent moisture then how do you keep all your expensive power tools from rusting? much less locking up the internal hidden components with rust even in GOOD times down there in humid NO???
    Iron rusts easiest.  I protect cast iron work surfaces for wood working with johnson paste wax.  I'll use an oil for metal working surfaces.  My shop at home is climate controlled. 

Anyway, most metals oxidize.  In most cases a little surface oxidation doesn't hurt the function.  Where it does I try to keep oil/wax on them or keep them in a lower humidity environment. 

Temperature changes especially cool tools hitting warm moist air cause condensation which is what I try to avoid.  "morning dew" is a problem.

Not worried about motors, they are sprayed with a varnish.

I don't think I've ever picked up a tool and had it not work because of rust from humidity....my problem is when tools get wet from rain, hoses, flooding, etc.   The biggest problem with function is mechanical-electrical switches, contacts, plugs and mechanical metal-on-metal parts.  I keep acme screws lubed up with grease, for example.

I used the generator to run the sump pump at my shop today and removed a huge amount of water.   While I was there an electric utility crew stopped by and surveyed my transformers.  They said they are coming in the morning to remove the old pole and drop in a new pole.  Much faster than I anticipated.  I will still need to fix my service before the utility hooks up to it. I'm going to try to do as much myself as possible but looks like I may need to get an electrician to sign off on it and file the paperwork (money).
    I used the generator to run the sump pump at my shop today and removed a huge amount of water.   While I was there an electric utility crew stopped by and surveyed my transformers.  They said they are coming in the morning to remove the old pole and drop in a new pole.  Much faster than I anticipated.  I will still need to fix my service before the utility hooks up to it. I'm going to try to do as much myself as possible but looks like I may need to get an electrician to sign off on it and file the paperwork (money).
    Disconnect as much crap as possible so there is less to sign off, then add back later.
  • Glad all you guys are safe, I hate to see all the damage though. I was hoping to get down there to help with recovery but our September is pretty booked up. Even if I can’t make it we will donate some money towards the recovery efforts. 
    LBGE
    AL
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,431
    RRP said:
    My last Active Duty assignment was in Grand Forks ND.  I had a roomy garage and was building up my woodworking shop, so I insulated/sheetrocked the garage and found a forced-air kerosene heater could bring it from -25˚ to 50˚ in about twenty minutes; fantastic!  
    Not.  The air warmed up that much, but not any metal.  My hand froze to my tablesaw as soon as I touched it, and it developed a good rust patina and I gave up on the heater idea; like NOLA said above, its moist air hitting cold surfaces that gets you.
    When the movers were packing my stuff to leave, I cut a stack of fine sandpaper and derusted/waxed all my tools.  No issues here in the high desert.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• nolaegghead
    Botch said:
    RRP said:
    My last Active Duty assignment was in Grand Forks ND.  I had a roomy garage and was building up my woodworking shop, so I insulated/sheetrocked the garage and found a forced-air kerosene heater could bring it from -25˚ to 50˚ in about twenty minutes; fantastic!  
    Not.  The air warmed up that much, but not any metal.  My hand froze to my tablesaw as soon as I touched it, and it developed a good rust patina and I gave up on the heater idea; like NOLA said above, its moist air hitting cold surfaces that gets you.
    When the movers were packing my stuff to leave, I cut a stack of fine sandpaper and derusted/waxed all my tools.  No issues here in the high desert.  

Notable mention here for open air kerosene/propane/NG heaters: hydrocarbons plus oxygen = water