Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are you drinking....now?

Comments

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    grape koolaid  :s
    Jim Jones didn't give it to you did he?
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike said:
    Now that’s funny!!!!!!!!!
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    CTMike said:
    Now that’s funny!!!!!!!!!
    Funny in a dark and twisted bubblehead sense of humor kind of way. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • keener75
    keener75 Posts: 392
    Had a very nice visit with the brother in law today!
    St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE
  • Woadie
    Woadie Posts: 154
    Got the biggest bottle they had.  
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675
    Today, August 28th is national red wine day.

Wearing this shirt. Need to select a wine to go with tri tip
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • danhoo
    edited August 2021

2014  Sobon Vinyard Tannat.

Was good with tri tip.

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado

• cheers lads
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Experimenting with Sugar In The Raw turbinado rich simple-syrup (*) in bourbon drinks. Makes a terrific Old Fashioned with plain-old Jim Beam white-label, but the hit of rich sweetness demands something like Knob Creek or maybe, possibly, Michters or Whistle Pig rye. Haven't tried a Sour yet, but the richness of the simple... OK will try

*Recipe: 2 parts by volume Sugar In The Raw Turbinado sugar, 1 part by volume boiling water, stir until dissolved, chill. 
  • Experimenting with Sugar In The Raw turbinado rich simple-syrup (*) in bourbon drinks. Makes a terrific Old Fashioned with plain-old Jim Beam white-label, but the hit of rich sweetness demands something like Knob Creek or maybe, possibly, Michters or Whistle Pig rye. Haven't tried a Sour yet, but the richness of the simple... OK will try

*Recipe: 2 parts by volume Sugar In The Raw Turbinado sugar, 1 part by volume boiling water, stir until dissolved, chill. 
    A sour would probably come out closer to a gold rush with the extra sweetness.  It’ll be good.
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,908
    Experimenting with Sugar In The Raw turbinado rich simple-syrup (*) in bourbon drinks. Makes a terrific Old Fashioned with plain-old Jim Beam white-label, but the hit of rich sweetness demands something like Knob Creek or maybe, possibly, Michters or Whistle Pig rye. Haven't tried a Sour yet, but the richness of the simple... OK will try

A sour would probably come out closer to a gold rush with the extra sweetness.  It’ll be good.
    I just finished reading a book that described a Gold Rush.   I was unfamiliar but the description sounds definitely worth giving it a go.
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas

I just finished reading a book that described a Gold Rush.   I was unfamiliar but the description sounds definitely worth giving it a go.
    Oh yeah, it's a great drink.  I prefer it to a sour.  Just a little sweeter and the honey syrup gives it a great color in combination with the lemon juice and bourbon.  
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    Experimenting with Sugar In The Raw turbinado rich simple-syrup (*) in bourbon drinks. Makes a terrific Old Fashioned with plain-old Jim Beam white-label, but the hit of rich sweetness demands something like Knob Creek or maybe, possibly, Michters or Whistle Pig rye. Haven't tried a Sour yet, but the richness of the simple... OK will try

Instead of simple syrup, I use maple syrup, you should give it a try!

• BlueRidgeSmokers
    BlueRidgeSmokers Posts: 105
    edited September 2021
    paqman said:

Instead of simple syrup, I use maple syrup, you should give it a try!
    Oh, I have, it's a neat trick. The maple syrup doesn't scream maple - I think it dovetails with the oak in the brown liquor, but it does add a layer of flavor.

Also, I am happy to report that rich turbinado simple works well in a whiskey sour, though, because it's rich (2x sugar, 1x water), I end up using a little more than half the normal amount so it doesn't get too sweet.

• BlueRidgeSmokers
    BlueRidgeSmokers Posts: 105
    edited September 2021
    A gold rush, made with Bulleit:

That looks gorgeous, I've made a few of those myself. I had a bottle of raw honey that was crystalizing, so I added an equal amount of warm water and sloshed it until the honey dissolved. Raw honey is really called for here IMO, the floral richness is delightful.

Reminds me of a few years ago, I was drinking wine with a winemaker friend and we got talking about the sterility of honey. I wondered out-loud if there was latent yeasts in the honey that might take-off if the honey was diluted and I tried an experiment afterward - mixed raw honey and water to a gallon of ~10 Brix, covered the mouth of the bottle and let it rest a month. Never took off. Winemaker was obviously right about the sterility LOL. So I hit it with wine yeast and fermented it dry (a little over 5% ABV). I'd never made a mead before and was fascinated how all of the rich floral sweetness remained - though it was dry and almost savory on the palate.

• A gold rush, made with Bulleit:

That looks gorgeous, I've made a few of those myself. I had a bottle of raw honey that was crystalizing, so I added an equal amount of warm water and sloshed it until the honey dissolved. Raw honey is really called for here IMO, the floral richness is delightful.

Reminds me of a few years ago, I was drinking wine with a winemaker friend and we got talking about the sterility of honey. I wondered out-loud if there was latent yeasts in the honey that might take-off if the honey was diluted and I tried an experiment afterward - mixed raw honey and water to a gallon of ~10 Brix, covered the mouth of the bottle and let it rest a month. Never took off. Winemaker was obviously right about the sterility LOL. So I hit it with wine yeast and fermented it dry (a little over 5% ABV). I'd never made a mead before and was fascinated how all of the rich floral sweetness remained - though it was dry and almost savory on the palate.

I like the way you roll 👍
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,908
    What a night this has been (not in the best ways).    

Made a unique cocktail for wife and me, pictures doesn’t do it justice, but is grapefruit vodka, peach schnapps,
    Topo Chico and a pile of lime.   (Refreshing when it’s 99 amd 60% humidity).  

Grilled stuffed jalapeños amd a 2.5# Tri tip.   Stuffed japs were great but got caught on a work call and neglected the Tri tip—thus it came out well…almost well done.   Smh 
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas

• happy Friday, friends!
  • danhoo
    Double dose...

Product Large Image
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    ColtsFan said:
    1 year ago today I found my asz being admitted to the ER to only be diagnosed 2 days later with colon cancer. Here’s to still being alive 😎

Cheers to that! FINE choice of bourbon as well.
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,359
    ColtsFan said:
    1 year ago today I found my asz being admitted to the ER to only be diagnosed 2 days later with colon cancer. Here’s to still being alive 😎

I'll drink to that. Going in on the 14th for.number 5, my niece called it a bingo. 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 

• "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    My no-octane drink of choice is iced tea, I easily drink a gallon a day.  Saw a "hard iced tea" ad somewhere and thought I'd give it a try.  Couldn't find that exact brand, but found this:

Blech.  Tastes like tea, weak lemonade, and cough syrup.  Glad I didn't get the twelve-pack.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    College Football Saturday coincided with Pipeworks Brewing being released in Ohio.  So some Pipeworks beers, Stone 25th were had, then attended the FC Cincinnati game that evening.  Great day!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio