Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are you drinking....now?

Options

Comments

• MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,375
    Options

If I am lucky they may have some left. 

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Lit said:
    Id drink this stuff all the time if I could get more for $39.99 
    I used to find this at my local liquor store for $27.99.  Has a bit more bite than I prefer so I stopped buying it.  Recently one of my buddies called me ecstatic and he said he was lucky enough to land a bottle for $75!   Wth, $75?   This bourbon boom has gone nuts
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,375
    Options
    I got lucky 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Lit said:
    I used to find this at my local liquor store for $27.99.  Has a bit more bite than I prefer so I stopped buying it.  Recently one of my buddies called me ecstatic and he said he was lucky enough to land a bottle for $75!   Wth, $75?   This bourbon boom has gone nuts
    Agree 100%. Buffalo Trace isnt any better than the Elijah Craig I normally drink but its sold out everywhere. Eagle rare is sold out everywhere here and I heard the same people were paying $75 a bottle here and had to buy a bottle of 1792 also. I personally like the bite of eagle rare but wouldnt pay $75 for it. 
  • Lit
    Options
    Starter tonight. Bourbonnow.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Agree 100%. Buffalo Trace isnt any better than the Elijah Craig I normally drink but its sold out everywhere. Eagle rare is sold out everywhere here and I heard the same people were paying $75 a bottle here and had to buy a bottle of 1792 also. I personally like the bite of eagle rare but wouldnt pay $75 for it. 
    It’s routinely priced at $99 at independent stores around here. 😂
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    Store pick Buffalo Trace is $28 a bottle here. Store pick Eagle is in the $40 range. Like anything else, popular labels are hard to find. I ain’t paying much over MSRP for anything 
  • N10
    N10 Posts: 9
    Options
    Grey Goose and cranberry juice. Great breakfast drink. 
    Xl Big Green Egg. Just sold the reverse smoker for something smaller. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    @pgprescott @colby24

I’m not paying that much for that nonsense.   Buffalo Trace needs to check them self because those that know, know they shouldn’t be paying stupid prices for their artificial fake demand. 

For $40 I’ll gladly roll with a Basil Hayden all day rather than seeking the artificially inflated prices.  
  • pgprescott
    edited October 2021
    Options
    @pgprescott @colby24

I’m not paying that much for that nonsense.   Buffalo Trace needs to check them self because those that know, know they shouldn’t be paying stupid prices for their artificial fake demand. 

For $40 I’ll gladly roll with a Basil Hayden all day rather than seeking the artificially inflated prices.  
    Well first off, it is not the distillery which is responsible for the inflated prices. They are a result of overwhelming demand (not fake at all) that could not have been anticipated. Keep in mind they are selling a product that in the case of Eagle Rare requires at least ten years investment to produce. It is the retail shops not the distillery that are raising prices and this is simply a response to demand. They figure that if the double the price and it’s gone in hours then it is obviously not priced high enough. 🤷🏼‍♂️
      Secondly, I share your feelings on overpaying and routinely leave bottles behind when there are many reasonable alternatives available. However, to each their own. 
      The demand for quality American whiskey is through the roof. I actually am a scotch guy at heart but bourbon and rye used to be so affordable in comparison I started drinking some of it. In the past five years it’s popularity amongst my friends also exploded and has resulted in my collection bursting at the seams. 🤣. Heck, there are tons of people that strictly drank beer drinking bourbon and rye neat or in cocktails. Sadly I see no end in sight right now. You can still find most things at retail if you search hard enough with the exception of the very rare Pappys and wellers etc. I can find Eagle rare and Blantons at retail still but it’s not as easy as walking in the first liquor store you come across. 
  • Canadianegger2020
    Options
    @pgprescott @colby24

Well first off, it is not the distillery which is responsible for the inflated prices. They are a result of overwhelming demand (not fake at all) that could not have been anticipated. Keep in mind they are selling a product that in the case of Eagle Rare requires at least ten years investment to produce. It is the retail shops not the distillery that are raising prices and this is simply a response to demand. They figure that if the double the price and it’s gone in hours then it is obviously not priced high enough. 🤷🏼‍♂️
      Secondly, I share your feelings on overpaying and routinely leave bottles behind when there are many reasonable alternatives available. However, to each their own. 
      The demand for quality American whiskey is through the roof. I actually am a scotch guy at heart but bourbon and rye used to be so affordable in comparison I started drinking some of it. In the past five years it’s popularity amongst my friends also exploded and has resulted in my collection bursting at the seams. 🤣. Heck, there are tons of people that strictly drank beer drinking bourbon and rye neat or in cocktails. Sadly I see no end in sight right now. You can still find most things at retail if you search hard enough with the exception of the very rare Pappys and wellers etc. I can find Eagle rare and Blantons at retail still but it’s not as easy as walking in the first liquor store you come across. 
      Very well said. Yeah I'm not sure why people blame the distillery for the B.S retailers are doing . BT as an example is building more and more rick houses to keep up with demand that's had to predict sometimes . in terms of ER , its good juice but there is sooo much good bourbon out there that is readily available . So much . 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    @pgprescott @colby24

Very well said. Yeah I'm not sure why people blame the distillery for the B.S retailers are doing . BT as an example is building more and more rick houses to keep up with demand that's had to predict sometimes . in terms of ER , its good juice but there is sooo much good bourbon out there that is readily available . So much . 
    Great point. The flip side of all this price inflation due to exponential demand growth is that there are tons of new options that simply were not in existence 10 years ago. Tons of stuff equal or better than some of the sentimental favorites out there. Also the stall worth distilleries have been forced to up their game. JD make a butt load of marginal whiskey that is enjoyed by masses of people. They now have single barrel offerings that are as good as there is out there. Dickel is another one that has upped their game uncertain areas. The fact there is money to be made and substantial demand has attracted many talented people to the industry. Definitely a two sided situation. Got to weed through the options though. 🥃
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I bought a bottle of Kirkland small batch Tennessee bourbon, aged 7 years.  I enjoyed it to the point that I was getting low.

So, the last time I was at Costco, they didn't have it anymore. I bought this one, and I like it, also.  Very good and very reasonable price!  I think the liter was $25.  It is 1792.  Usually, they don't give you all that information.

Clinton, Iowa
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    @pgprescott.  all great points and well noted.  

Instead of saying fake news I should have said fake supply/demand.   While I am an Economist by education I appreciate the basic fundamentals of supply and demand.   

I guess where I am going is that there is really one house that is going through this, being BT/Sazarac.   My thought, and it’s simply that, is that they are intentionally under supplying the market to create artificial price spikes.   

Being in the 4th largest city in the US, and a very spirit friendly state, I find it odd that the only real distillery with these price spikes are from BT/Sazarac.  

I can readily find virtually all other bourbons commonly discussed:   Four Roses, Weller, Willet, Old Forrester, Noah/Rebecca, etc etc etc.  however those that are difficult to find, thus inflatedly priced, come from one distillery.  

Perhaps…just perhaps, they have SC issues.   However why would they be the only ones?   

Anyway, just imparting what I see locally which makes me scratch my head
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    I bought a bottle of Kirkland small batch Tennessee bourbon, aged 7 years.  I enjoyed it to the point that I was getting low.

So, the last time I was at Costco, they didn't have it anymore. I bought this one, and I like it, also.  Very good and very reasonable price!  I think the liter was $25.  It is 1792.  Usually, they don't give you all that information.

They had the Tennessee in Bettendorf today. Had I noticed this post in time I would’ve gathered one up for you. I’ll be sure to get one next time. It caught my eye but hadn’t heard any feedback on it. U snooze u loose I guess 🤨
  • pgprescott
    Options
    @pgprescott.  all great points and well noted.  

Instead of saying fake news I should have said fake supply/demand.   While I am an Economist by education I appreciate the basic fundamentals of supply and demand.   

I guess where I am going is that there is really one house that is going through this, being BT/Sazarac.   My thought, and it’s simply that, is that they are intentionally under supplying the market to create artificial price spikes.   

Being in the 4th largest city in the US, and a very spirit friendly state, I find it odd that the only real distillery with these price spikes are from BT/Sazarac.  

I can readily find virtually all other bourbons commonly discussed:   Four Roses, Weller, Willet, Old Forrester, Noah/Rebecca, etc etc etc.  however those that are difficult to find, thus inflatedly priced, come from one distillery.  

Perhaps…just perhaps, they have SC issues.   However why would they be the only ones?   

Anyway, just imparting what I see locally which makes me scratch my head
    Lots of guys jealous of you if you can find Weller products and extremely jealous if it’s at retail (special reserve excluded as it’s pretty available). The Buffalo Trace products are in hysterically high demand. It’s not fake. It’s not manipulated. It’s absolutely real. There is no possible way any of these guys would have predicted 8,10,15 years ago that their products would be in this high if demand. Hell, I still can’t believe it. Bourbon had been the drunk uncle or red headed step child of scotch for 50 years or more. There a a plethora of Sazarac products you can buy inexpensively I assume. Just not the highly sought after ones. Demand for all is up, but the demand for a rare few is unrealistically crazy. Truth. 

Different states have different regulations which dramatically alter the availability and price of certain products. Some states basically own the market so you always pay retail. That sounds great and can be but it likely means you will never get that unicorn you’ve been wanting. At least when the prices are raised it slows the transaction rate down slightly and gives those willing to pay up an opportunity to do so. The whiskey is worth whatever someone is willing to pay. As an economist you must understand and appreciate that. Doesn’t mean you or I will pay it, but that’s true of a plethora of products such as fine meals, clothes, cars, etc. A year ago I passed on a bottle of William Larue Weller for 300 or 400, I can’t remember. I would not pass again (at either price) as I have not seen it since or before for that matter. Is it worth that price, probably not, but I’ll never know ☹️ 
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    Atlanta — Picked up an eagle rare (limit 1) at $42 and it was sold out where I usually go for B Trace — which is regular price (1L for $32) always available at only that one store i know of, all others are usually out and marked up if it’s in (maybe $35-45 or more for a 750). 
  • nlovold
    nlovold Posts: 194
    edited October 2021
    Options
    It’s all about creating regional scarcity, much like Nintendo and others do with hot new products at Christmas time.  Oh you found a bottle of X in TX?  I need a bottle of that in IN and would pay a huge premium, even though we are sitting on $22 bottles of store pick Buffalo Trace that most of the country doesn’t have access to at retail.  
  • pgprescott
    Options
    nlovold said:
    It’s all about creating regional scarcity, much like Nintendo and others do with hot new products at Christmas time.  Oh you found a bottle of X in TX?  I need a bottle of that in IN and would pay a huge premium, even though we are sitting on $22 bottles of store pick Buffalo Trace that most of the country doesn’t have access to at retail.  
    Except Nintendo can make as many games as they want in no time flat. It’s just ridiculous that people think the supply and demand issue is not real. There is a reason people’s pine for the days they could get bottle x for 25 bucks and now it’s 100. Because there was plenty of supply available ten years ago because all these people were drinking bud light. The distillery sells most of the stuff to the liquor stores for the same price. This whole conspiracy of the big bad companies is totally not genuine. The demand is simply very very high. Also the liquor industry is regulated by the states at a level Nintendo would never imagine. Check it out for yourself. Is there some BS in the mix? Sure. Is Sazarac making exponentially higher profits per bottle produced? No. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    I will say Ive heard some distributors (not producers) do play some games with the availability of certain products. However, that is because they are in very high demand and not necessarily to create demand. They know what they have and will manipulate them
    to their benefit to increase ordering with certain stores etc. 
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    Yep, I understand all points and I can and have seen distributors playing games for certain.

One thing that kills me is that 2 years ago Angel's Envy was in allocation and at the $48 price point.    Flash forward, it's now off allocation and remains at the same price point.

I dunno, don't work in their industry, just relaying what I see and one thing I see, that always makes me laugh, is that Buffalo Trace is still in the low $20 price range, however it is always behind the locked glass and limit 1.   

Ah well, plenty of other great bourbons out there at or below the $50 range that are readily available.
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    And one thing I left off was this weekend’s find.  
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    Two big sips. Blanton’s and Elijah Craig Toasted. Both tasty on a work night
  • Lit
    Options
    Got the bourbon too. The rye is pretty good. 
  • Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Options
    Stone IPA
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Purple bag.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options