Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gulf Coast Eggers: Ida

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    ColbyLang said:
    10am update has landfall as a Cat 3 splitting Houma and Morgan City. It’s gonna get ugly gents

Most models have a cat 4 now.

NOLA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Ya’ll be safe out thar.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    We all stand with you. My house is open to anyone who needs shelter.Let’s hope for the best.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Still looking like the center of the impact is west of Nola, maybe Houma. We already have rain East of Biloxi though and the gas stations are jammed. Fortunately I plugged the car in and charged up last night. Looking like a category 3 possibly dropping to a 2 just before the impact but maybe not.That part of Louisiana hasn't managed to get patched back together since last years 4 or 5 storms.
  • Bar
    Bar Posts: 166
    buzd504 said:

Most models have a cat 4 now.

Yes, Cat 4 now.
  • buzd504
    Still looking like the center of the impact is west of Nola, maybe Houma. We already have rain East of Biloxi though and the gas stations are jammed. Fortunately I plugged the car in and charged up last night. Looking like a category 3 possibly dropping to a 2 just before the impact but maybe not.That part of Louisiana hasn't managed to get patched back together since last years 4 or 5 storms.

Today's rain isn't really storm related.  It's just rain.  Ida rain will start tomorrow afternoon.  The Lake Charles area took the worst hit last year - it doesn't look like Ida is going to push west enough to be a really significant event for them (or at least I hope not).

NOLA
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    We’re hoping for maintained course. A cat 4 is gonna be a sh*t show for wherever it comes ashore. I’m hoping people on the coast heed the warning and get outta Dodge
  • Gulfcoastguy
    I plan to be on the road by tomorrow afternoon though we seem to be in the easter fringes.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Filled up 4 5-gal cans, most gas stations are out of gas, those with gas have lines. 

For whatever reason, people go full-retard before/during/after storms.  I was driving home on a 35 mph road and a dude passed me and floored it in a huge truck, probably hit 70, weaving in and out of traffic before disappearing in the horizon.

Got the portable generators loaned out.

@frazzdaddy called me up (weather nerd) and said "wish I could give you some good news...."

I'm not too worried about the wind, where I'm at, but the flooding is inevitable.  I was more worried about the levee situation yesterday than today, but there's a small chance of breach.  Anxiety level is down there a bit.  We are in Algiers Point.  The Point and the French quarter were the earliest establish areas because they're the highest in elevation.
     Hang in there. Hoping for the best. Keep us posted. 

If only you could send a few inches of rain out west, we could sure use it to put out some fires. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • nolaegghead
    danhoo said:
     Hang in there. Hoping for the best. Keep us posted. 

If only you could send a few inches of rain out west, we could sure use it to put out some fires. 
    Thanks.  I would gladly send whatever rain you need over there.  Unfortunately I lack the ability to perform magic.
    edited August 2021
    Where are Xmen when we need them?

Or should I say X-maam...

It's Storm we need to have some help from. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    edited August 2021
    I have been fortunate to have been in only one. I will take 3 feet of snow too, as well. 

I have zero desire to ever be in one again. Everyone knows this sucks. If you think, there is anything we can do to help, should you need it, just say it. We will do what we can.

You all have a place to stay, in our home, if you need it.

Stay safe.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    We normally evacuate but have decided to stay for this one.  Levees are so much better than they were 16 years ago. Power outages are probably going to be a major issue but we have a small generator at home and access to a home with a whole-house natural gas system. 

Is anyone here in the Houma/Thibodaux region?
    New Orleans LA
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    Lafayette here. Know a lotta folks around Houma ain’t leaving….
  • Dondgc
    ColbyLang said:
    Wow. I would definitely be on the way out of town if I was in Houma…
    New Orleans LA
  • frognot
    frognot Posts: 103
    Y'all be careful out there!
    Allen, Texas          LBGE, Orange Thermapen (fastest and easiest to find)

• Gulfcoastguy
    ColbyLang said:
    I hope none of them are your relatives.
  • nolaegghead
    I'm not even crazy enough to stay if I lived there.  And I'm fkn nuts.
    Weather Channel just said landfall in Grand Isle La is the new consensus. Tracking NW from there towards Houma and then going N towards Baton Rouge. Gonna get interesting tomorrow afternoon 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Praying for all you Louisiana folks! This one worries me for yall. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Dondgc
    ColbyLang said:
    Weather Channel just said landfall in Grand Isle La is the new consensus. Tracking NW from there towards Houma and then going N towards Baton Rouge. Gonna get interesting tomorrow afternoon 
    There may not be much left of Grand Isle after this storm. 
    New Orleans LA
  • buzd504
    Dondgc said:
    ColbyLang said:
    There may not be much left of Grand Isle after this storm. 

There wasn't much left before it.
    NOLA
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    edited August 2021
    I hope everyone is going to come through the storm safe and without property damage. I have a 3 Kw Honda generator that I ran 24/7 for 7 days after the Tuscaloosa tornado. Luckily fuel was still available. The generator consumed around 10 gallons of fuel per 24 Hr period. That's a lot of fuel to locate when it's in short supply.
    Stay safe to all in the storms path.
  • nolaegghead
    Baton Rouge (aka "Red Stick") is possibly suffer some incomprehensible damage.  I feel for them.  Also, Houma, Thibodoux, Golden Meadow and that whole area.  Just hope no major levees fail.
    4pm tracked Ida East a touch. Gaining strength and speed. Houma now the direct target, stay safe NOLA brethren, it ain’t gonna be fun on the East side of a Cat 4