Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Camp V, Oct 20th in New Orleans

Options

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,648
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina I don’t understand how you don’t see the hypocrisy your statements. If you flipped over to a different channel get a whole different set of facts
    What the heLL are you talking about?  I don't watch cable news.  
    Is there a republicans are all evil antivaxxer mailing list your on or something?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @alaskanassasin -  I would hope you would agree that state vaccination rates, info that is publicly available, are facts that are not in dispute, right?
    Georgia is Democratic and has low vaccination rates so what does that mean?
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina I don’t understand how you don’t see the hypocrisy your statements. If you flipped over to a different channel get a whole different set of facts
    What the heLL are you talking about?  I don't watch cable news.  
    Is there a republicans are all evil antivaxxer mailing list your on or something?
    No. I just read news from a variety of sources, and generally try to pay attention.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Lit said:
    @alaskanassasin -  I would hope you would agree that state vaccination rates, info that is publicly available, are facts that are not in dispute, right?
    Here you go:

Let me know when the lights come on inside of your head.  

• BenfordSlaw
    Options
    Someone call 911, I want to report a murder.  
  • Lit
    Options
    Lit said:
    Here you go:

Let me know when the lights come on inside of your head.  

Some of the ones that are vaccinated are Trump areas and many of the ones getting vaccinated were only Biden 50-60%. There are also solid Trump area just north of Atlanta that show many are vaccinated so this doesnt mean much. Obviously people that live in populated cities are going to have higher vaccination rates since they are way higher risk.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Too much concern here about approved vs emergency authorization.  EUA allows gov to get something out there quickly, that’s all.  It’s conditional, they focus on safety and efficacy and weigh that against risk.  John is right, much more due diligence involved in full approval, lots of boxes to check, etc. Approval will give the manufacturers the ability to market the vaccine, sell it to insurers, providers, etc, rather than just the government.  EUA was a good move for a lot of reasons, but primarily because it cut the time.  I wouldn’t draw a straight line between that and increased risk.
  • Lit
    Options

I color coded it for you. The yellow are democratic. As you can see the only 2 dark blue are republican. There is no overwhelming difference in percentages. As you can see many of the democratic counties are under 25% vaccinated. The circled blue ones are all republican.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    You really cannot make this stuff up.  
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
  • Lit
    Options
    The 2 highest percentages are Republican. Is that hard for you to understand?
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Lit said:
    What I understand is that you've lost the plot:

• Lit
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Lit said:
    What I understand is that you've lost the plot:

Way more Republicans live in rural areas and they are Republican counties. Hopefully you can figure out why they arent in a hurry to get vaccinated. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Well, at least now we are in agreement that there is in fact a difference between the two parties when it comes to vaccination rates, as opposed to the nonsense that things are distributed equally.  That's progress I suppose!
  • Lit
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Well, at least now we are in agreement that there is in fact a difference between the two parties when it comes to vaccination rates, as opposed to the nonsense that things are distributed equally.  That's progress I suppose!
    Nobody said that. Your silly little pole above is obviously flawed since it assumes the people vaccinated in those counties belong to the political party that won. If 60% of the people are vaccinated in a county and 40% of those are Republican and 20% democrat then it still adds to the democratic percentage. See how that doesnt work?
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    From Kff.org

A key component of any effort to boost vaccination rates among Republicans will be identifying the right messengers. According to our Vaccine Monitor, which tracks the public’s attitudes and experiences with COVID-19 vaccinations, Republicans are most likely to trust their doctors and employers to provide reliable information on COVID-19 vaccines, while government sources are less trusted.

Idiot republicans listening to their doctors and not the nice man on tv.

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Lit said:
    Nobody said that. Your silly little pole above is obviously flawed since it assumes the people vaccinated in those counties belong to the political party that won. If 60% of the people are vaccinated in a county and 40% of those are Republican then it still adds to the democratic percentage. See how that doesnt work?
    First of all, it's not a "pole".  It's not even a poll.  It's simply a calculation based on publicly available data.  

And it doesn't assume anything.  All it does is to reveal how things stack up, in aggregate, across the entire country, and how the picture has changed over time.   

As I mentioned upstream, comparable studies have plotted the percentage of vaccinations by state against the percentage that voted for Biden.  The data practically fall on a straight line.  

And as the law of averages tends to work out, you can of course cherry pick to identify instances that are both above the mean and below the mean. This doesn't indicate that you're smart, it just indicates that you don't understand statistics, because the actual mean matters and is a bit difficult to dismiss within a reasonable sample size.   Not that any of this will stop you from trying, of course.  

So while this has all been fun, I'll let you have the last word here, because I have bigger fish to fry.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    From Kff.org

A key component of any effort to boost vaccination rates among Republicans will be identifying the right messengers. According to our Vaccine Monitor, which tracks the public’s attitudes and experiences with COVID-19 vaccinations, Republicans are most likely to trust their doctors and employers to provide reliable information on COVID-19 vaccines, while government sources are less trusted.

I encourage everyone to ask their doctor whether or not they or their children should get vaccinated.  I wish everyone did exactly that.  If they had, we wouldn’t be where we are right now.
  • Lit
    Options
    Lit said:
    Nobody said that. Your silly little pole above is obviously flawed since it assumes the people vaccinated in those counties belong to the political party that won. If 60% of the people are vaccinated in a county and 40% of those are Republican then it still adds to the democratic percentage. See how that doesnt work?
    First of all, it's not a "pole".  It's not even a poll.  It's simply a calculation based on publicly available data.  

And it doesn't assume anything.  All it does is to reveal how things stack up, in aggregate, across the entire country, and how the picture has changed over time.   

As I mentioned upstream, comparable studies have plotted the percentage of vaccinations by state against the percentage that voted for Biden.  The data practically fall on a straight line.  

And as the law of averages tends to work out, you can of course cherry pick to identify instances that are both above the mean and below the mean. This doesn't indicate that you're smart, it just indicates that you don't understand statistics, because the actual mean matters and is a bit difficult to dismiss within a reasonable sample size.   Not that any of this will stop you from trying, of course.  

So while this has all been fun, I'll let you have the last word here, because I have bigger fish to fry.  
    So you look at the graph with pretty colors and accept it when in reality it shows nothing. Gotcha. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    From Kff.org

I read the article.  I think the problem I see is “I trust my doc” but I’m not talking to my doc.  It looks like far and away friends and family are the biggest influence for people getting vaccinated that didn’t intend to.  Followed by doctors that convinced them d/t their health risks or family member’s health risks.  I have a few friends that won’t get vaccinated for all of the “I don’t know what is in it” etc reasons and I’ve asked them what their doc says and every time …I haven’t talked to my doctor about it.  I think the seeds of doubt, right or wrong are out there and accessible.  Good that people trust docs and, I guess their companies, but they have to seek that info out.

edit - what John said.
  • BenfordSlaw
    Options
    Someone call 911, I want to report a murder.  
    Operator, I would like to report that the driver has now put his 18 wheeler in reverse and backed up over the deadbeat lying in the middle of the highway. 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Legume said:
    From Kff.org

I read the article.  I think the problem I see is “I trust my doc” but I’m not talking to my doc.  It looks like far and away friends and family are the biggest influence for people getting vaccinated that didn’t intend to.  Followed by doctors that convinced them d/t their health risks or family member’s health risks.  I have a few friends that won’t get vaccinated for all of the “I don’t know what is in it” etc reasons and I’ve asked them what their doc says and every time …I haven’t talked to my doctor about it.  I think the seeds of doubt, right or wrong are out there and accessible.  Good that people trust docs and, I guess their companies, but they have to seek that info out.

edit - what John said.

Refreshingly apolitical. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That's behind a pay-wall, like a turtle head hiding in his turtle neck.  fwiw

Options

One of the problems I’ve seen referenced, some reliable reporting is buried behind paywalls and much of the, um, less reliable stuff is via megaphone.
  • Terpderpitude
    Options

Oops. Sorry.  Here's a peak.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Legume said:

One of the problems I’ve seen referenced, some reliable reporting is buried behind paywalls and much of the, um, less reliable stuff is via megaphone.
    Nothing "free" ever truly is, there's always a price to be paid, as I think we're witnessing.