Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Options

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    @setdahook - that is delivering the goods.  Great looking plate right there.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @4TheGrillOfIt - Sweet cook outcome right there.  Congrats.
    Any insights you care to share regarding the process beyond the opening the wallet to SRF??   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    4TheGrillOfIt Posts: 741
    edited July 2021
    Options
    @lousubcap thanks! Just a reverse sear—light smoke indirect at 250F with a fist-size chunk of pecan.  Seared next to the coals using a spider and 13 inch grid on my large.  Briefly entertained your caveman method, but chickened out!  😝 it was a bit too large to pull it off, I think.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @ryantt -great spreads and pics.  Mouth-watering right there!
    Hopefully Norah Grace was part of the deal or does she have too many other things going right now?
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @lousubcap, Sue actually cooked these without me.  I simply sat down and stuffed my face.   She’s still finding time to cook even with all of her activities.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• lousubcap
    Options
    Glad to hear that the fire still burns and looks like she has really elevated her game these past several months.  Way to keep her engaged.  
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    Options
    80 minutes in. 

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @MasterC - great cook and result.  Nailed 'em.
    Let me offer a tip I learned many years ago-rotate the dome thermo target temp to the 12 o'clock position.  That way a casual glance will let you know the way the cook is tending.  
    Just be careful not to mess with the calibration hex nut during the process.  FWIW-
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Buckwoody Egger - great plate and narrative.  Glad to see you back here.  Nailed that cook.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @SciAggie - glad you have found your way back with your great cooks.  Looks delicious and even rolling in the diamond plate for the return!  Well played!

If I didn't know any better I would say that was a very small paella pan by your standards.   
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,355
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Caprese chicken in the wood oven. 
    That looks great! I know my wife would probably kill that pan by herself. She loves caprese anything. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Bar
    Bar Posts: 166
    Options
    SonVolt said:

Broiled thick-cut pork chop.
    That looks great.  I have only done reverse sear steaks on my broiler.  How did you cook this (level, time)?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Boudin.  Lots of it.
    Options
    Bar said:
    SonVolt said:

That looks great.  I have only done reverse sear steaks on my broiler.  How did you cook this (level, time)?

I just seared it in the broiler then popped it in the oven at 250F. It was too thick to cook 100% on the broiler before the crust over-darkened. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Caprese chicken in the wood oven. 
    I would absolutely crush this. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Bar
    Bar Posts: 166
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Bar said:
    SonVolt said:

I just seared it in the broiler then popped it in the oven at 250F. It was too thick to cook 100% on the broiler before the crust over-darkened. 
    I’ll have to try that.  Did you pull it from the oven at 140?
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    132F. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave