Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lemon garlic chix + chelo ba tahdig

caliking
caliking Posts: 18,727
edited June 2021 in EggHead Forum
I don’t usually crow about my cooks, but this one... I fvckin’ nailed it. 

The chix was a Serious Eats recipe, with about 3x garlic, and other minor mods. Made the basil chimichurri, too. 

https://www.seriouseats.com/grilled-lemon-garlic-chicken-tomato-kebab-skewer-basil-chimichurri-recipe

Tahdig has been a holy grail, of sorts. I’ve tried a few versions (including Samin Nosrat’s),  but didn’t quite get there. Until today...

That, my friends, is grandmother-level tahdig :) Unbroken, turned out in a single, crispy/crunchy layer. Basmati rice, infused with saffron, dill, and butter. Farkin’ heavenly. 

Plated:

The flavors are not rich, but really pop in all sorts of ways. The lemon zest in the recipe really shines, and... garlic... ‘nuf said. 

I was so damn excited about the tahdig, that it took me 10 mins to settle down and eat =)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I have never adventured down that recipe road but that looks great, especially the tahdig. You need to work on your cooking prowess branding- top shelf right there.  Congrats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    O.M.G. That rice.... Dude, I’ve got to be honest - I haven’t really looked at the rest of the cook. I’ll be back to see and actually read your post. I would crow about that rice too. Well done my friend. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,182
    edited June 2021
    I’m tahdiggin’ it. Also, you had me at “3x garlic.” The whole royal family ate well. 

Have quite a bit of basil growing in the backyard, so I may have to give this a go. You’ve set a very high bar. 

(edit: Do you have a recipe you can please share for the Tardif?)
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    😳😳😳

I’m tahdiggin’ it. Also, you had me at “3x garlic.” The whole royal family ate well. 

Have quite a bit of basil growing in the backyard, so I may have to give this a go. You’ve set a very high bar. 

(edit: Do you have a recipe you can please share for the Tardif?)
    https://www.splendidtable.org/story/2019/03/06/chelo-ba-tahdig-steamed-persian-rice-with-tahdig

This was my 4th or so attempt at tahdig. This recipe is a very good one, with clear instructions. Attempt #3 was the same recipe, but didn't release from the pot in one piece. 

The dill was my addition, since many Iranian/Persian restaurants usually offer dill rice. I need to add more next time. 

• caliking
    SciAggie said:
    O.M.G. That rice.... Dude, I’ve got to be honest - I haven’t really looked at the rest of the cook. I’ll be back to see and actually read your post. I would crow about that rice too. Well done my friend. 
    Thanks. The chix was a side... the rice was the star. I actually thumped my chest, and strutted about the kitchen for a bit. 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited June 2021
    And yet another one of your cooks that I’ll have to chase!   I can tell from your excitement that it will be well worth the effort. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    “Grandmother-level”

That needs to be added to a thesaurus.  Awesome!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    caliking said:

That, my friends, is grandmother-level tahdig :) Unbroken, turned out in a single, crispy/crunchy layer. Basmati rice, infused with saffron, dill, and butter. Farkin’ heavenly. 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    blind99 said:
    You can tell a group of cooking nerds when they lose their $hit over rice. That’s an awesome cook!
    Aint that the truth. That too on a bbq forum!

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    WOW . . .  tahdig, totally new concept 
    Thanks for posting
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • caliking
    loco_engr said:
    WOW . . .  tahdig, totally new concept 
    Thanks for posting
     Thanks.

Its a bit of a process, but worth the effort, if you like rice. 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    Chelo ba tahdig?  More like chelo ba dabing, amirite?!?!?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Perfect timing!  I just impulse bought a jar of saffron at Costco yesterday.

That is very cool, thanks for sharing!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Looks fantastic!  (for a .... nevermind)

Rice recipe from Naz Deravian....meow!
    edited June 2021
    Well, that is fantastic. And I am stealing it.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    That's the best compliment there is.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Nailed it All, Love the Tahdig 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    Ooh that looks good!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• caliking
    Langner91 said:

Glad I could help :)

How big is the jar? Its used sparingly, so may take you a while to finish!

• caliking
    Thanks!

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    Just fantastic, all the way.  Nice!
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    This man is one of the select few in this forum, which I fear opening his posts. Not because everything he does, is always over the top delicious, it is because his cooks makes my abilities seem worse than amateur.

I truly admire these cooks he provides and shares. My family loves this food. Each time I try, nothing comes close. 

Bow to the master, again. Beautiful presentation, delicious food, and a very fun post to enjoy as always.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    caliking said:
    Langner91 said:

Costco sells one gram of threads for $11 and change.  It is a tiny jar.  It is packaged on a HUGE card to prevent them from walking out of the store.

I see their website lists a 14gram jar for $75. 
    Clinton, Iowa
  • caliking
    Langner91 said:
    caliking said:
    Langner91 said:

Costco sells one gram of threads for $11 and change.  It is a tiny jar.  It is packaged on a HUGE card to prevent them from walking out of the store.

I see their website lists a 14gram jar for $75. 
    That'll last a good while. Indian recipes call for a few strands.   Consider vac sealing it between uses, and storing in the fridge. 

Saffron gives a vivid color, fragrance, and unique, mild flavor to dishes. Especially rice. 

• caliking
    YukonRon said:
    This man is one of the select few in this forum, which I fear opening his posts. Not because everything he does, is always over the top delicious, it is because his cooks makes my abilities seem worse than amateur.

I truly admire these cooks he provides and shares. My family loves this food. Each time I try, nothing comes close. 

Bow to the master, again. Beautiful presentation, delicious food, and a very fun post to enjoy as always.
    Aw shucks, Ron. You embarrass me :)

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    That looks amazing!!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    Sounds cliche...I'm not worthy.
    canuckland
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    oh baby !!! meal looks so good - and interesting - i want some !! 

I made a persian rice like that years ago (saffron/yogurt/dried cherries/basmati rice) i think it was called Tachin??  Anyway I just remember how fun it was to flip out of the pan and crack open !!  Yours looks to die for.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”