Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Options

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    @fishlessman wins the week.
    canuckland
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    edited April 2021
    Options

did i get the wok hot enough, thats the lowest setting
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Canugghead
    Options

I have same problem with Edel Metall(sp), For low heat frying even the lowest setting gets too hot.
    canuckland
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options

I have same problem with Edel Metall(sp), For low heat frying even the lowest setting gets too hot.

thinking of making a steel ring to block some of the outer nozzles and center the flame on the wok. its too hot for my speed. not a problem on an easy cook like this but i dont think i could add ingredients on the go.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Last night's dinner, lol

canuckland
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Venison backstop stuffed with goats cheese, sautéed onion, mushrooms and garlic wrapped in prosciutto.  A big honking poke chop for Ms Bucky.  

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    @Foghorn - I would expect nothing less from his cattle.  He delivered, great marbling.  Dang.  
    Now about those  pineapple-bacon-shrimp appetizers, feel free to share the details here as I will definitely give them a go.
    Thanks in advance.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Many thanks for the insights. Those look great. 
    I enjoy a crab stuffed bacon wrapped shrimp appetizer and par-cook the bacon ( nuke the bacon in the microwave for around 2 1/2 mins +/-) before tossing them on the BGE.  
    Always a winner when shrimp and bacon are front and center.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    @fishlessman Mexican shrimp cocktail is one of my favorites. Any time I make it people go crazy for it. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    @SonVolt - pie looks awesome man!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Thanks. This video really upped my stretching game in keeping a better circular shape and not thinning out the center so it tears. This has been the hardest part for me when dealing with larger pies. This dude is a beast. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtAeKM_f2WU&ab_channel=ScotCosentino
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Thanks. This video really upped my stretching game in keeping a better circular shape and not thinning out the center so it tears. This has been the hardest part for me when dealing with larger pies. This dude is a beast. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtAeKM_f2WU&ab_channel=ScotCosentino
    Wow; thanks for posting that!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Another attempt at big 16"+ NY style pizzas on Sunday. The weather's still too cold (in the 60's) so the dough balls weren't as relaxed and didn't stretch out fully, so closer to 14". A little thicker than I prefer but still really good.

I dropped hydration back to 60% and oil at 1.5% vs 68% & 5% from my last cook. 

Noice!

What difference do you think decreasing  the oil %age made?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Today is 420.  AND it's Taco Tuesday.
    Hmmm.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• SonVolt
    edited April 2021
    Options
    caliking said:
    SonVolt said:
    Another attempt at big 16"+ NY style pizzas on Sunday. The weather's still too cold (in the 60's) so the dough balls weren't as relaxed and didn't stretch out fully, so closer to 14". A little thicker than I prefer but still really good.

Noice!

The crust was less soft/bready, but in a good way. It had a perfect amount of chew that I expect in a proper NY style. I'm still playing with all the variables though. I may omit oil completely next time to see how it compares. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    caliking said:
    SonVolt said:

Noice!

The crust was less soft/bready, but in a good way. It had a perfect amount of chew that I expect in a proper NY style. I'm still playing with all the variables though. I may omit oil completely next time to see how it compares. 
    You're using that Trump flour?  (no relationship to F*ckface von Clownstick)

Options
    Smoked a chuck roast on the Yoder.  Paired with mashed taters and used the drippings to make a gravy.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • SonVolt
    edited April 2021
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    caliking said:
    SonVolt said:

Noice!

You're using that Trump flour?  (no relationship to F*ckface von Clownstick)

Yep. Other than the oven, it probably made the biggest difference in dough handling and texture vs the King Arthur Bread Flour I've been using for the last decade. I noticed an immediate difference in how the dough felt during kneading & shaping, just silky smooth. . It's probably due to whatever conditioners are in it, whereas KA is straight unadulterated flour. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

Have to pick the kid up from rehearsal so it’s imitation Wendy’s chili for an easy dump & stir meal.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Acn said:

Have to pick the kid up from rehearsal so it’s imitation Wendy’s chili for an easy dump & stir meal.
    That's appropriates as Wendy's makes imitation chili also.

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis