Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lahmacun steak sando fusion

This was a riff off this recipe Gozney has up for a roast beef pizza sando.  I made a few audibles that somehow all worked.

First there’s the slaw.  I got the mandolin out and super finely sliced up a red onion and cabbage, with some dill and parsley thrown in:

Now, the recipe calls for tossing this with some sweetened pickle vinegar dressing.  Well wtf is that?  Nothing I’d ever heard of or seen.  Google was not much help here.  But what I did have in the fridge were these bad boys:

So I figured... toss the slaw with the juice from these and... close enough?  Somehow that worked!  

I had most of the ingredients for the mustard mayo.  I used a mix of dijon and top shelf honey mustard:

For the dough, I used a lahmacun recipe I had.  Rolled it out super thin:

Now for the protein.  I had a lonely, 10-oz NY strip.  Treated it with S&P and threw it in the Roccbox at 900F:

It took about four minutes a side, give or take:

I saved the rendered beef fat from the cook, and used it to paint the dough:

Topped the dough with onions, parm, and oregano, and cooked it in the RB for about a minute.  Here’s how it looked on the other side:

Added the slaw and the mustard mayo, then topped with the sliced steak:

Rolled it up and sliced to serve:

This all came together very very well.  Somehow it all works and it’s delicious.  Thanks for looking!
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• Leopoldstoch
    Leopoldstoch Posts: 1,182
    Great looking cook!!

Brandon - Ohio

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Da-n!  That is impressive as he!!.  That Roccbox steak is killer.  And here, when I saw Lahmacun in the title I thought a blonde (scotch) recipe/cook.  Strong work right there.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,078
    Beautiful cook all the way.
    *I'd have been tempted to introduce a few jalapenos to the mandolin, then into the slaw.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    dbCooper said:
    Beautiful cook all the way.
    *I'd have been tempted to introduce a few jalapenos to the mandolin, then into the slaw.
    Great idea.  I’ll be making this again, for sure.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    Nice John !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,427
    Yep.  That'll eat. Well done. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
     I saved the rendered beef fat from the cook, and used it to paint the dough:”

And that my friends is how goodness is created. That looks really tasty @JohnInCarolina
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Fvck. That’s all I got. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    I need to start playing with the Roccbox... Do you preheat the CI pan?  Turn steak?

paqman said:
    I need to start playing with the Roccbox... Do you preheat the CI pan?  Turn steak?
    Yes you preheat it.  Doesn’t take long at 900F - maybe 5-10 minutes.  

I flip and turn the steak a couple of times during the cook while it’s all in the oven.  At the end I pull it out and turn the steak on its side to get the edges.  The CI stays super hot so it works.

The steak by itself is incredible.  You don’t need anything more than S&P with that crust that forms.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Now you’re just showin off!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    Fun looking cook and delicious looking outcome 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    Fantastic as always
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • JohnInCarolina
    Thanks all!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Wow!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,095
    Awsomeness!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    I am not sure what I am looking at.  A pizza, a salad, a sandwich, a gyro, or a steak.  No matter what it is, it looks amazing.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • CPARKTX2
    CPARKTX2 Posts: 222
    Hell yeah!  Nice cook man.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,745
    Very impressive!
    Stillwater, MN
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Get in my belly!!!
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    That's kick arse!! Just got my Ooni and need to try this!
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • JohnInCarolina
    gmanrva said:
    That's kick arse!! Just got my Ooni and need to try this!
    Yep.  It's really pretty straightforward if you have an Ooni or any other portable pizza oven like that.  Hit me up if you have any questions.  
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    heck of a good looking cook!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,427
    Been thinking about this off and on all day.  I'll eat ALMOST anything in a tortilla and this cook is perfection rolled up. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    kl8ton said:
    Been thinking about this off and on all day.  I'll eat ALMOST anything in a tortilla and this cook is perfection rolled up. 
    It really is outstanding looking, it’s been haunting me today as well.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Wow...  Looks delish....
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    If you know John as I do, you know he is OCD about his cooking (Not so much about cleaning his BGE, but that need not be discussed here, at this time), so to me,  there are no surprises, just massive envy, over his posts, be they simple (my skill level) or be they complex.

Typical to John’s creativity, as well as his intense dedication to both the science and the art of cooking, he delivers a meal such as this, when he knows, I will not be there for him to share it with.

This is just one of many I regret missing, and perhaps the one, I think I would have enjoyed, most.

Thank you for posting this cook, but plan on making this with me the next time we hook up.

Great work my friend.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,060

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,078
    I've read this thread multiple times, because for me it's just such an awesome cook I have to come back.  One thing though that disturbs me, why all the flags?  That is bizarre behaviour at any level for this post.
    Because of that I decided to "like" every response @JohnInCarolina made in the thread.  Others may consider doing the same.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA