Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Lahmacun steak sando fusion

This was a riff off this recipe Gozney has up for a roast beef pizza sando.  I made a few audibles that somehow all worked.

First there’s the slaw.  I got the mandolin out and super finely sliced up a red onion and cabbage, with some dill and parsley thrown in:

Now, the recipe calls for tossing this with some sweetened pickle vinegar dressing.  Well wtf is that?  Nothing I’d ever heard of or seen.  Google was not much help here.  But what I did have in the fridge were these bad boys:

So I figured... toss the slaw with the juice from these and... close enough?  Somehow that worked!  

I had most of the ingredients for the mustard mayo.  I used a mix of dijon and top shelf honey mustard:

For the dough, I used a lahmacun recipe I had.  Rolled it out super thin:

Now for the protein.  I had a lonely, 10-oz NY strip.  Treated it with S&P and threw it in the Roccbox at 900F:

It took about four minutes a side, give or take:

I saved the rendered beef fat from the cook, and used it to paint the dough:

Topped the dough with onions, parm, and oregano, and cooked it in the RB for about a minute.  Here’s how it looked on the other side:

Added the slaw and the mustard mayo, then topped with the sliced steak:

Rolled it up and sliced to serve:

This all came together very very well.  Somehow it all works and it’s delicious.  Thanks for looking!
"A generation of the unteachable is hanging upon us like a necklace of corpses." - George Orwell 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

The most arrogant man on the internet.  

Living large in the 919

Comments

• LeopoldstochLeopoldstoch Posts: 1,078
    Great looking cook!!

Brandon - Ohio

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 23,661
    Da-n!  That is impressive as he!!.  That Roccbox steak is killer.  And here, when I saw Lahmacun in the title I thought a blonde (scotch) recipe/cook.  Strong work right there.
    Louisville; "indeterminate Jim" here.  Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!
  • dbCooperdbCooper Posts: 857
    Beautiful cook all the way.
    *I'd have been tempted to introduce a few jalapenos to the mandolin, then into the slaw.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 20,183
    dbCooper said:
    Beautiful cook all the way.
    *I'd have been tempted to introduce a few jalapenos to the mandolin, then into the slaw.
    Great idea.  I’ll be making this again, for sure.
    "A generation of the unteachable is hanging upon us like a necklace of corpses." - George Orwell 

Living large in the 919
  • lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 7,798
    Nice John !
    Visalia, Ca

LGBE- Pit's by Klose Trailer -Stumps XL Stretch - Custom Santa Maria-Modified HD Offset Smoker Reverse Flow- FatStack Smoker coming soon- Blackstone 36 Blackstone 22 - Custom Cold Smoke House and a lonely Brinkman Vertical Smoker
  • kl8tonkl8ton Posts: 3,542
    Yep.  That'll eat. Well done. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • SciAggieSciAggie Posts: 6,457
    “ I saved the rendered beef fat from the cook, and used it to paint the dough:”

And that my friends is how goodness is created. That looks really tasty @JohnInCarolina
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 15,337
    Fvck. That’s all I got. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • paqmanpaqman Posts: 3,632
    I need to start playing with the Roccbox... Do you preheat the CI pan?  Turn steak?

I need to start playing with the Roccbox... Do you preheat the CI pan?  Turn steak?
    Yes you preheat it.  Doesn’t take long at 900F - maybe 5-10 minutes.  

I flip and turn the steak a couple of times during the cook while it’s all in the oven.  At the end I pull it out and turn the steak on its side to get the edges.  The CI stays super hot so it works.

The steak by itself is incredible.  You don’t need anything more than S&P with that crust that forms.

Living large in the 919
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 10,347
    Now you’re just showin off!

-----------------------------------------

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • MasterCMasterC Posts: 465
    Fun looking cook and delicious looking outcome 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • johnmitchelljohnmitchell Posts: 5,736
    Fantastic as always
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
    Thanks all!

Living large in the 919
  • BotchBotch Posts: 11,370
    Wow!  

• bubbajackbubbajack Posts: 801
    Awsomeness!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,L,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2

I am locked in a place where now one goes - we have no quarter!
  • Ozzie_IsaacOzzie_Isaac Posts: 11,631
    I am not sure what I am looking at.  A pizza, a salad, a sandwich, a gyro, or a steak.  No matter what it is, it looks amazing.
    If it is worth doing, it is worth overdoing.

XL, Medium, Minimax, Mini, Blackstone, WSM
  • CPARKTX2CPARKTX2 Posts: 162
    Hell yeah!  Nice cook man.
  • StillH2OEggerStillH2OEgger Posts: 3,260
    Very impressive!
    Stillwater, MN
  • saluki2007saluki2007 Posts: 5,498
    Get in my belly!!!
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• gmanrvagmanrva Posts: 341
    That's kick arse!! Just got my Ooni and need to try this!
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
    gmanrva said:
    That's kick arse!! Just got my Ooni and need to try this!
    Yep.  It's really pretty straightforward if you have an Ooni or any other portable pizza oven like that.  Hit me up if you have any questions.  

Living large in the 919
  • loco_engrloco_engr Posts: 4,750
    heck of a good looking cook!
    aka marysvilleksegghead, moved to Basehor,KS 2/26/2021
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • kl8tonkl8ton Posts: 3,542
    Been thinking about this off and on all day.  I'll eat ALMOST anything in a tortilla and this cook is perfection rolled up. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • LegumeLegume Posts: 11,562
    kl8ton said:
    Been thinking about this off and on all day.  I'll eat ALMOST anything in a tortilla and this cook is perfection rolled up. 
    It really is outstanding looking, it’s been haunting me today as well.
    I do not have any broken or spare parts for any size egg.
  • CTMikeCTMike Posts: 2,605

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • DonWWDonWW Posts: 413
    Wow...  Looks delish....
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 16,327
    If you know John as I do, you know he is OCD about his cooking (Not so much about cleaning his BGE, but that need not be discussed here, at this time), so to me,  there are no surprises, just massive envy, over his posts, be they simple (my skill level) or be they complex.

Typical to John’s creativity, as well as his intense dedication to both the science and the art of cooking, he delivers a meal such as this, when he knows, I will not be there for him to share it with.

This is just one of many I regret missing, and perhaps the one, I think I would have enjoyed, most.

Thank you for posting this cook, but plan on making this with me the next time we hook up.

Great work my friend.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • StormbringerStormbringer Posts: 1,719

Large BGE and MMX, both with platesetter and cast iron grid. Superpeel for pizza, iDevice for temperature.
    Cooking on the large in deepest, darkest England since Oct 2015. MMX added to the family Mar 2016.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    --------------------------------------------------------------

• dbCooperdbCooper Posts: 857
    I've read this thread multiple times, because for me it's just such an awesome cook I have to come back.  One thing though that disturbs me, why all the flags?  That is bizarre behaviour at any level for this post.
    Because of that I decided to "like" every response @JohnInCarolina made in the thread.  Others may consider doing the same.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA