Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WTF is going on in TX??

Arctic blast. Polar vortex. Icepocalypse. Whatever you call it, we're not used to this shite.

Over 1 million folks lost power. Lots of folks without water. And lots of folks with broken water lines because of the cold. Schools will stay shut for the rest of the week. Work has been closed for the week, as well.

We lost power for about 30 hrs, came back on yesterday morning. Then, no water. What's one to do?

Stress cook, of course!

Wings and poppers on Monday.

Salsa on Tuesday. 

Emapanada's today. TOTH to @SciAggie for the dough recipe.  Yes, that's the last of the goat we roasted over a cinder block pit at Brisket Camp IV.

I did some prep last weekend... Adobo short ribs. Dusted with Oakridge BBQ SPOGO and kissed with smoke on the egg. Finished indoors. Will eat it over coconut rice tonight. 

Stay tuned...  its apparently not over yet.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    Glad you are still safe.  The entire state is a giant cluster **** right now.  Hope it improves soon.  Cold is no joke, and if you are not prepared, it will kill you.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • I like the way you roll brother.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Great looking grub. Stay safe.
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Glad you are hanging in there @caliking
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Duuuuuuuude.

Getting the shakes rolling through your lump pile?
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    caliking said:
    Arctic blast. Polar vortex. Icepocalypse. Whatever you call it, we're not used to this shite.

Over 1 million folks lost power. Lots of folks without water. And lots of folks with broken water lines because of the cold. Schools will stay shut for the rest of the week. Work has been closed for the week, as well.

We lost power for about 30 hrs, came back on yesterday morning. Then, no water. What's one to do?

Stress cook, of course!

Wings and poppers on Monday.

Salsa on Tuesday. 

Emapanada's today. TOTH to @SciAggie for the dough recipe.  Yes, that's the last of the goat we roasted over a cinder block pit at Brisket Camp IV.

I did some prep last weekend... Adobo short ribs. Dusted with Oakridge BBQ SPOGO and kissed with smoke on the egg. Finished indoors. Will eat it over coconut rice tonight. 

Stay tuned...  its apparently not over yet.
    Here I was all worried about you guys an all. By the way, how’’d you slice it?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,457
    Wow, I’m exhausted just looking at them, were you trying to empty the freezer because you lost power?😂 Nice hack with the popper rack!
    canuckland
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Not too shabby homie. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Wow, I’m exhausted just looking at them, were you trying to empty the freezer because you lost power?😂 Nice hack with the popper rack!
    Pro tip:

if you lose power due to a winter storm, your groceries will be fine out side in the cold. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    PigBeanUs said:

Pro tip:
    if you lose power due to a winter storm, your groceries will be fine out side in the cold. 
    True. We moved into our house in January. Fridge didn't arrive for a week or two. Freezer items stayed on the back porch (north side, no sun), fridge items on the steps under the trap door leading down to the basement door. Enough heat escaped the basement to warm the steps to 40-ish. Perfect.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 20stone said:
    Duuuuuuuude.

Soooo...if anyone is interested in what’s really going down with the grid here in TX there is no better person (that know of) than @20stone to explain it. 

Btw- it has been a total **** show down here and all avoidable. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    It's AOC's fault, right?!
    20stone said:
    Duuuuuuuude.

You actually made me worry for a hot minute.

Went and attempted to take stock, and stopped counting after 440lbs. Because that's all that was readily visible. Which means there must be at least another 200lbs back there. Not counting briqs. 

I get the shakes when stock dips <400lbs. So, I'm good for now. I can ride this one out. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Wow, I’m exhausted just looking at them, were you trying to empty the freezer because you lost power?😂 Nice hack with the popper rack!
     caliqueen only wishes I was trying to empty the freezers 😄

Turns out that the popper rack I have was not designed with TX sized jalapenos in mind. So, had to improvise. 

And, outside temps have actually made the whole outdoors a fridge/freezer. Was just saving the goat for something special =)

• caliking
    PigBeanUs said:
    Pro tip:

It’s one of those rare times, when the outside temp is lower than the fridge temps. So, we’ve been using the “outside fridge” a fair bit. 

I made shrimp and chicken stocks 
    a few days back. Put both pots outside. Still frozen solid. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    caliking said:
    PigBeanUs said:
    Pro tip:

It’s one of those rare times, when the outside temp is lower than the fridge temps. So, we’ve been using the “outside fridge” a fair bit. 

Do you put post it labels up next to the food in the outside freezer too?
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Your attitude is dialed in my friend, and you remain an inspiration. I blame the entire mess in Texas on the shifting of the force when the slicer changed hands. You may need to remove it from Texas to save the world. I just want you to know, I am here to help. I will gladly help you save Texas, and the world by moving that slicer to Kentucky.

Seriously, you know you got a place here to ride this out.

Stay safe and stay warm.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    Glad to see you are OK!  I have been working on a big project at work and barely watched any news.  I woke up early this morning, turned ON the TV and they were talking about apocalypse in Texas 😳

damn, ron may be right!  there is a very clear correlation with the slicer.

seriously, though, hope you are all staying safe down there.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    with all that food i hope that texas knows to fill the bathtub up with water as the storm approaches. life goes to helll when you cant flush the throne
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    with all that food i hope that texas knows to fill the bathtub up with water as the storm approaches. life goes to helll when you cant flush the throne
    I’ve got 99 problems... but, flushing toilets ain’t one of them. 

Water situation has slightly improved. I’ll turn my water back on in a bit, and check. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    caliking said:

Water situation has slightly improved. I’ll turn my water back on in a bit, and check. 

i would be too lazy to go out in -15 with a bucket to flush.  we had 20 inches of snow about 2 weeks back and i never cleared the driveway

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    YukonRon said:
    Your attitude is dialed in my friend, and you remain an inspiration. I blame the entire mess in Texas on the shifting of the force when the slicer changed hands. You may need to remove it from Texas to save the world. I just want you to know, I am here to help. I will gladly help you save Texas, and the world by moving that slicer to Kentucky.

Seriously, you know you got a place here to ride this out.

Stay safe and stay warm.
    Thank you, Ron. The kind vibes are much appreciated. 

The. Slicer. Aint. Goin’. Nowhere.

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I like how you roll. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I love how he eats.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • caliking
    Legume said:
    caliking said:
    PigBeanUs said:
    Pro tip:

Do you put post it labels up next to the food in the outside freezer too?
    Most food gets labeled, for both indoor and outdoor refrigeration. 

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    caliking said:

Same but different. Water out again. 

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited February 2021
    Love your attitude, food looks unreal. 
    Your on a heater, despite the temps . . keep it rollin !
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”