Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Yeast

Options

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Nice work y’all!
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    caliking said:
    Pain au bacon.  Because ya gotta do sumthin when you decide to cure 10lbs of bacon =)

Added red onion sautéed in bacon grease     . The bacon grease in the dough made a greater impact on the dough, IMO. The crumb has a lovely, velvety texture. 
    I officially hate you right now.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @caliking That’s just some genius right there. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Thanks @SciAggie @JohnInCarolina . This has been on my list for quite some time. Having surplus bacon was the right impetus :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @caliking "surplus" bacon is a rare thing.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @caliking "surplus" bacon is a rare thing.
    I jump on those big 10 lb boxes of bacon scraps left over from a slicing line.  Like a buck fifty a pound.  That's kind of "surplus". Otherwise, no such thing.

Wild yeast only, impressive what it does overnight.

• caliking
    Options
    Things are getting feisty over there, @FarmingPhD :)

• SmartyPantz
    Options
    Here is a step by step walk through and recipe for my sourdough bread.  I am a novice, but this seems to work.  I borrowed everything from Joshua Weissman - so I gotta give credit where credit is due.  ENJOY!

https://youtu.be/4Yv370amhPo
    When do y'all teach me the secret handshake?
    XL BGE, 36" Blackstone, and a Wah Wah pedal
    Williamsburg, VA
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    Options

NPHuskerFL - what loge pan are you baking with?
    girbim  - What is the red dish you are baking in?

Thank you - MrToad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    mr toad said:

NPHuskerFL - what loge pan are you baking with?
    girbim  - What is the red dish you are baking in?

Thank you - MrToad
    I haven’t seen @NPHuskerFL here in a long time @mr toad but I asked the same question a while ago and I believe it is a Challenger Bakeware.

Options
    @mr toad He’s not active here but he is on IG. I interact with him frequently. He uses Challenger bakeware. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    Nice @caliking and thanks for bringing this to the top
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • FarmingPhD
    Options
    Nice loaf and agreed @caliking!  I just made new starter a couple weeks ago, I killed mine accidentally, didn’t microwave it, but definitely killed it.  Will need to give the new starter a go hopefully next weekend.
  • caliking
    Options
    Nice loaf and agreed @caliking!  I just made new starter a couple weeks ago, I killed mine accidentally, didn’t microwave it, but definitely killed it.  Will need to give the new starter a go hopefully next weekend.
    Been there, and done that. At least twice!

I keep a frozen stock that has come in handy. Feed your starter, adding more water than you usually do, until it is pancake batter consistency. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper, then spread the starter out, in a very thin layer. Let it dry for a week or so. I then break it into chips, and vac seal it in portions. 

• CP92
    CP92 Posts: 321
    Options
    Ok ladies and gentlemen, I've been on this bread baking quest for a couple of months now. Done a fair amount of reading and baking and not getting the results I expect/want. I too am after an open crumb, much more than I'm producing.

I'm not sure what my weekend has in store, but I'll give a more through post on what my process is later this week, and if I get a chance to make a couple of loaves this weekend, I'll post the results for feedback. 

Chris
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • caliking
    Options
    CP92 said:
    Ok ladies and gentlemen, I've been on this bread baking quest for a couple of months now. Done a fair amount of reading and baking and not getting the results I expect/want. I too am after an open crumb, much more than I'm producing.

I'm not sure what my weekend has in store, but I'll give a more through post on what my process is later this week, and if I get a chance to make a couple of loaves this weekend, I'll post the results for feedback. 

Chris
    Welcome!

There are a few breadheads onboard here. Throw out some details of your process/method, and I'm sure folks will chime in to help out. 

• CP92
    CP92 Posts: 321
    Options
    Thank you, sir. Yes, I read all 35 pages of this thread yesterday, save several links and gathered a few ideas. 

Starter is coming out of the fridge today for a bake this weekend, especially considering the weather forecast.

Regards,
    Chris
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • caliking
    Options
    Bumpity bump!

50% WW
    some bran
    2 T of bacon grease (from bacon I cured a while ago)
     about 70% hydration (50% of the liquid was milk)

Could have proofed a bit longer,  but I was getting impatient. 

I know the purists will complain, but I’m really digging the texture from adding the milk and animal fat. 

• Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    Bump on one of my favorite threads.  I’ve been getting in to focaccia lately.  Like most things, it’s a deep hole to dive into.  

Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • caliking
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Nice,  @Hoster05 ! It's always fun to see what folks are up to in this thread.

Have you checked out Samin Nosrat and Brad Leone's take on Ligurian focaccia? Its REALLY good. 

• lkapigian
    Options
    Shout out to Blake @NPHuskerFL happy Bucking Firthday 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    Options
    Some recent loaves.  Been baking a lot lately.

Beautiful. Great oven spring, crust, crumb, scoring... just outstanding!

• lkapigian
    Options
    caliking said:

Agreed and thanks for the push @Thatgrimguy , getting my starter going today ..........and shout out to Blake @NPHuskerFL
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    caliking said:

Thank you!! 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    My first time adding inclusions. I added them during a lamination and then did 1 set of coil folds after. 

Split into 2 loaves after bulk ferment. This first loaf I did a terrible job shaping and the second one I felt pretty good about (shaping is where I need the most work)

1st loaf

2nd loaf

The first one actually looked amazing to me till it was sitting next to the 2nd one. I’ll cut into them tonight for a dinner party for my birthday.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • caliking
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Well, hey now @Thatgrimguy ... Today happens to be my birthday!

Both loaves look pretty damn good from here.