Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What was your greatest extravagance?

Options
PigBeanUs
PigBeanUs Posts: 932
edited January 2021 in EggHead Forum
We all obviously don’t regret paying $1000 for a grill. 

What else don’t you regret?

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Hookers and blow?
    Greensboro, NC
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    My tattoo 
    Years ago, I bought a pair of nice hoop diamond earrings for my wife. Was quite a bit of money for me at the time and I half wondered whether they might fall out at and get lost at some point over the course of ownership. Ten or so years later, she still wears them at least weekly. They were a luxury that we would now have a hard time justifying - several kids and financial responsibilities later - so I am glad I purchased them when I did. Have been considering a matching tennis bracelet for some time now. 

The other series of purchases I don’t regret for similar reasons was/is a small collection of higher end guitars and amplifiers that I have been amassing since before my university days. I bought them one at a time; generally second hand but in new condition. They have at worst retained their value and in some cases, have made me some money all while I have been enjoying them. 

Travel is another one. Since meeting my wife, we have generally striven to take at least one or two bigger trips a year. My six year old is lucky, in that she’s been on quite a few neat trips for her age. 

Speaking generally, I’ve made a lot of purchases that were “extravagant” by my standards if and only if I could get a great deal on them - often second-hand. These have included knives, art, vehicles, etc. I enjoy the chase and generally aim to pay a maximum of 60% of retail price while insisting on as new condition. 

Looking ahead, the greatest extravagance I am contemplating is putting in an in-ground  pool. Much like Clark Griswold, I look into the yard, apply my imaginary overlay and can see great memories being created there over the years. Would like to do it sooner rather than later, while the kids are still young. 
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Once, I bought those “Jumbo” eggs. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Oh come off it man.  You own a bidet!  If a bunghole washer isn’t extravagant, I don’t know what is!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I had a few too many adult beverages one night during this hellscape of a pandemic, and when I discovered that SRF was indeed sold out of briskets, dropped more than five hundred dollars on their dry-aged beef.  No ragrets!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • dmchicago
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Oh come off it man.  You own a bidet!  If a bunghole washer isn’t extravagant, I don’t know what is!
    It's extravagant until you own one. Like your fleshlight.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,375
    Options

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    pretty simple here, its the chair, its doubled up now as its getting old and tired

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    MasterC said:

Beautiful carts, but I can’t for the life of me understand the pricing. There’s a new, albeit damaged one for the XL for sale near me and the price is an eye-watering $4000 CAD. 
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    Wine that doesn't come in a box!
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • Bellavista52
    Options
    A horse farm with 30 client horses - how to make a small fortune in the horse business- start with a large one!
    XL and Small BGEs in South Carolina
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,375
    Options

My wife bought the island in June of 2017. I kept it covered the first winter but covering and uncovering was a pain. This will be it's fourth winter uncovered and still looks brand new when wiped down. 
    The new version are mat green finish, open backs and not trimmed out with the hammered gray aluminum. 
    Long story short with sale and relatives discount, we paid sixty two percent of list price. Still extravagant for us.
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Boss Lady and I sailed on a 37-day South America cruise from Buenos Aires to Miami. The itinerary included rounding Cape Horn and passage through the Panama Canal. Incredible.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • PigBeanUs
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    I have a bunghole washer. 

But we can only afford to have him come in three days a week. 
  • PigBeanUs
    Options
    L1voyager said:
    Boss Lady and I sailed on a 37-day South America cruise from Buenos Aires to Miami. The itinerary included rounding Cape Horn and passage through the Panama Canal. Incredible.
    That is quite a trip. Unbelievable. 

My parents did the Canal Cruise back in the late 1980s

I kid you not, my father filled 8 1-hr VHS tapes filming the ship going thru the locks. We used to kid him that his video was somehow longer than the trip thru the canal itself!
  • butt_juice
    Options
    Every year, usually around Christmas, my parents offer my family and my two brother's families several hundred dollars each to go toward what ever we choose...saving, vacation, bills...whatever. Two years ago I talked my brothers into foregoing that money and taking a family vacation instead. Mom, Dad, our only living grandma, only living grandparent for that matter, our families with all of the kids. We argued about where to go and how planned we wanted things to be. Ended up settling on Big Cedar Lodge on Table Rock lake. It wasn't 100% my cup of tea but it was perfect for the kids. 

I traveled a lot with my parent growing up, but it was usually just me because I am the youngest and six years younger than my closest sibling. I missed out on a lot of the early family vacations, or have no memory of them because of that age gap. It was a time spent with my family that I will cherish forever. I hope to do much more of it, while we can, as soon as this COVID crap dies down. I am lucky to have not lost anyone in my family to it. (knock on wood)
    South Central Kansas
    Instagram: @midwest_voyager
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    In 2019 we took a cruise up the Norwegian coast in March so I could get some photos of the Northern Lights. Then in December we took another one to Antarctica. Got to cross the Arctic Circle and almost the Antarctic Circle in the same year. Horribly expensive but YOLO. Don't regret it a bit; they are awesome memories.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    This thread needs some pics.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    15K for a Hot Springs tub. 20k side by side. Cartier watch for my wonderful wife. 5k trips to the Grove Park and the boats... Life's to damn short to drink cheap beer, party on men. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • WesJohnson
    WesJohnson Posts: 130
    edited January 2021
    Options
    so is it

just out in the open now

that BigPenis is Nola

and I'm Ron? 
    I used to be able to name every nut that there was. 
  • butt_juice
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I'm the least wealthy person on this forum....
    South Central Kansas
    Instagram: @midwest_voyager
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Here you go @Legume.

Kudus mating, a leopard, and an example of the athleticism of soccer players.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• dmchicago
    Options
    so is it

just out in the open now

that BigPenis is Nola

and I'm Ron? 
    I think this belongs in the poetry thread...???

Dennis - Austin,TX