Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    waffles

The "Money shot" usually has white cream splattered all over it....
    Nice job! (I noticed the cream in the 1st pic). 

I haven't had a waffle in 20 years.  That's about to change.
  • We have pancakes || waffles || French toast for dinner once a week.  It’s easy, fast, and the kids usually devour it.  My daughter always specifically requests the “berry sauce” which is just a hack job of a compote.  Best thing to add is home made whipped cream and is always a hoot to watch the kids eat.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Nice job! (I noticed the cream in the 1st pic). 

I haven't had a waffle in 20 years.  That's about to change.
    You had your perfect cookie quest.... I'd be interested in a Belgium waffle quest! 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Belgian? 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Green ham. Never cooked one. Should be fun. 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Tarpon65
    Tarpon65 Posts: 205
    I will be cooking the wife a fillet and a ribeye for myself tonight, along with a side of asparagus.  My JoeTisserie is being delivered today (great price from Atlanta Grill Company), so I'm looking forward to trying it out on a whole chicken tomorrow.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Florida Wet Rub pork loin, 5.5 pounds.
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • ColtsFan said:

This should be in the worst meal thread. 
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    Picadillo and fried Plantains...

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • nolaegghead
    Bread pudding.  Best batch yet.  Will try to get a plated pic with the sauce.  Raisins, cranberries, walnuts and a Kahlua sauce.
    @nolaegghead That bread pudding looks luxuiously self-indulgent.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    SciAggie said:

Thanks Gary. Really came out satisfying.  I jettisoned the original recipe after doing it a few times, and started to ad lib.  I made some fresh cranberry compote a couple weeks ago that gave it some tartness to offset the sweet.  Also playing around with different sugars.
    SciAggie said:

Thanks Gary. Really came out satisfying.  I jettisoned the original recipe after doing it a few times, and started to ad lib.  I made some fresh cranberry compote a couple weeks ago that gave it some tartness to offset the sweet.  Also playing around with different sugars.
    So have you standardized a custard formula? Is custard/bread ratio by looks or do you have some ratio you've decided yields the best result?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    SciAggie said:
    SciAggie said:

So have you standardized a custard formula? Is custard/bread ratio by looks or do you have some ratio you've decided yields the best result?
    I just look for a certain slurry viscosity.  Most recipes call for a quart of milk and a loaf of bread.  There's usually not any definition to how big of a loaf.  I was using up some old bread and had maybe a loaf an a half or so.  So just eyeballed the ingredients. 

Also was using some smallish eggs from my neighbor's chickens (shhhh...don't tell her...j/k).  So I compensated with more eggs.  You can control the amount of 'setting up" the pudding has by pulling it out when you have the right "doneness". 

None of this is serialized into definitive ratios.  Just going off intuition.  I'll probably work it out after a few more batches but haven't been disappointed yet, which also suggests a wide latitude in the composition.

@nolaegghead Thanks. I'm actually watching this with interest. My success with bread pudding is variable. As you said, it's not that any batch is "bad" - but every few times it turns out significantly better in texture. I'm still trying to sort out what makes the difference.

Over thanksgiving I was out of town at my MIL's place. I picked up a cheap loaf of French bread, and tore it roughly into bite sized pieces. I made a custerd from memory. I litterally just winged the whole thing and threw it together.

I think it was hands-down the best bread pudding I ever made. Of course my wife asked me if I "knew what I did". Oh fudge...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    edited January 2021
    Obviously better breads will make better bread puddings, but one thing I have read and noticed is that the bread really needs to sit out and dry up, aka, go stale.  Fresh bread just loses all bread texture.  There may be some souring of it or something, let's just call it je ne sais quoi.  In a pinch you can bake it (cut or ripped up), and I did that last batch for some of the bread.  French loaves work great and they dry out fast if you just cut them long-ways and sit them out a day or two.  Even longer is fine, I'm sure there's a point of diminishing returns at some point.  No need to probe that extreme...yet.

Also, no need to cube the bread, slices are fine.  Over-mixing it makes a homogeneous texture, you want some type of lumpiness to it.  I use a wooden spatula or spoon, minimally mix with the custard.

I forgot the cinnamon last batch (you can also add allspice).  Didn't miss it.

Obviously better breads will make better bread puddings, but one thing I have read and noticed is that the bread really needs to sit out and dry up, aka, go stale.  Fresh bread just loses all bread texture.  There may be some souring of it or something, let's just call it je ne sais quoi.  In a pinch you can bake it (cut or ripped up), and I did that last batch for some of the bread.  French loaves work great and they dry out fast if you just cut them long-ways and sit them out a day or two.  Even longer is fine, I'm sure there's a point of diminishing returns at some point.  No need to probe that extreme...yet.

Also, no need to cube the bread, slices are fine.  Over-mixing it makes a homogeneous texture, you want some type of lumpiness to it.  I use a wooden spatula or spoon, minimally mix with the custard.

I forgot the cinnamon last batch (you can also add allspice).  Didn't miss it.

I have customers that buy bread just to stale for bread pudding weekly
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Turning Sunday’s pork loin into pork and navy beans over rice. Still simmering right now. Nothing fancy but good eating most likely.