Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    It was good. 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    @Foghorn and @Battleborn - somehow my "off the chain steaks pass" failed to deliver your goods.  Dang- That is bringing it home across the board.   Way to appreciate those steaks.  
    I will admit that each of those outcomes deserves separate acknowledgement but it is late (EST).
    Stay healthy and safe out there-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    dmchicago said:

Wow. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @fishlessman The stew looks fabulous. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    That's the best looking stew I've seen in a while @fishlessman.

And, I dig how the pic of the empty bottle is blurry. Likely because the bottle is empty =)

• caliking
    SciAggie said:
    Appetizers then Cornish game hens over rice. Poultry cooked in the wood oven. Rice cooked in the wok on the Mini Max. 

I've wheeled back a few times to look at this pic again. Lovely presentation, colors, and variety in that one shot. Raichlen's gonna steal, for sure!

• SciAggie
    @caliking I love this rice dish. Cook wild rice ahead. Then caramelize sweet potatoes or butternut squash. Stir in kale and cook a bit - then add the rice. On it goes a mustard/maple syrup vinaigrette dressing. 
    Cornish game hens were 5 for $10 at the store so they got the nod. That was a better choice than select grade ribeyes for $14.99 pound...
    (funny side note - we’ve started using our “good dishes/serving dishes” for everyday meals. We’ve been married 35 years. What the h$ll are we saving it for?)
    Here’s the rice recipe:
    https://iowagirleats.com/caramelized-sweet-potato-kale-fried-wild-rice/
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    caliking said:

And, I dig how the pic of the empty bottle is blurry. Likely because the bottle is empty =)

the recipe i loosley followed called for 2 cups cognac, the bottle was two cups. who writes a recipe that way. im thinking whoever wrote the recipe never cooked it.  so many changes, put 9 quarts of ingredients in a 7 quart dutch, add 2 cups cognac, if cooking in a shallow pan tilt pan over flame and light cognac ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    caliking said:

the recipe i loosley followed called for 2 cups cognac, the bottle was two cups. who writes a recipe that way. im thinking whoever wrote the recipe never cooked it.  so many changes, put 9 quarts of ingredients in a 7 quart dutch, add 2 cups cognac, if cooking in a shallow pan tilt pan over flame and light cognac ;)
    I agree. Every recipe needs to start with "make sure the cook is well marinated...". Mine do.

• caliking
    SciAggie said:
    @caliking I love this rice dish. Cook wild rice ahead. Then caramelize sweet potatoes or butternut squash. Stir in kale and cook a bit - then add the rice. On it goes a mustard/maple syrup vinaigrette dressing. 
    Cornish game hens were 5 for $10 at the store so they got the nod. That was a better choice than select grade ribeyes for $14.99 pound...
    (funny side note - we’ve started using our “good dishes/serving dishes” for everyday meals. We’ve been married 35 years. What the h$ll are we saving it for?)
    Here’s the rice recipe:
    https://iowagirleats.com/caramelized-sweet-potato-kale-fried-wild-rice/
    Thanks! I feel like my sides game needs some help. Will definitely add this to the list. 

• caliking said:
    @blind99 Those Birra tacos look great !!!  I'm gonna have to make those.  Need to go to Fiesta for the chiles, though.  BTW, I live in Drippin'.

Glad to see ya back :wink:
    Thanks buddy !  
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Baked potato in the oven 😂
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    ColtsFan said:
    Baked potato in the oven 😂
    Baked potato and SPAM in the oven was a standard meal for much of my 15 yr old life. Haven't touched SPAM since. Enjoy.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    (apology if it's a repost, can't remember where I saw it yesterday)
    Speaking of SPAM  =)
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-mcdonalds-spam-burger-oreo-china-20201221-sjiyjndirzdudahsgo6ftw7az4-story.html

The mayonnaise is a deal breaker.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• @caliking That chicken dish is beautiful !!!!
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • @caliking: Great looking plate. I take all the garlic I can get, so will have to look up those noodles. Please do share if you have a solid recipe on hand. 
  • SciAggie
    Those noodles look delicious. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    @caliking: Great looking plate. I take all the garlic I can get, so will have to look up those noodles. Please do share if you have a solid recipe on hand. 
     Stumbled upon this a week ago, but haven't been able to get them out of my head. Still in development (2 tries this week), so I don't have a go-to recipe yet, but these are the sources I recall:

Flo Lum= https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It4jb7KMoR0

Chef John/FoodWishes= https://youtu.be/VZckD_bZlso

Kenji= https://youtu.be/wK9OHVxB_Z8

The Kenji video was hard to watch... the camera work, the name dropping, etc. Chef John's version didn't include brown sugar (better with brown sugar IMO), but his videos are fun. Recipe-wise, I probably stuck closer to Flo Lum's. 

Moar garlic. And bucatini, because I like how sauce gets all up in it. Haven't had Maggi sauce in the pantry for years, but will probably get some soon. 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    This is turning into an awesome thread.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95