Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fun game: Chef or No Chef

Options

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
    Dictionaries tell us general *usage*. Descriptive, not proscriptive. Mi

It is entirely possible to be (by way of example) correctly and properly referred to as an architect/engineer/chef/cobbler without being a *registered* architect/engineer/chef/cobbler. 

Flip side:

But it is a real legal issue if you refer to yourself *professionally* as an architect or registered engineer, and you are not. 

It’s all relative. It all depends on context. 

At a cocktail party, it’s easier for me to say “i’m an architect”.  But I would not hang out my shingle as such (for a number of reasons).  

Buddy of mine thinks it’s a big deal he got registered as an architect and I didn’t. He has, in 30 years, designed nothing.  I had maybe $2-3 billion of projects under my belt before I bagged it. Buildings I can walk into, drive by, and which aren’t in danger of collapsing. 

He’s a “Registered Architect”.  While I spent my time designing buildings and helping get them built. 

Also: I had zero liability. 

That was fifteen years ago. Now I don’t even play that game. 

My father was a “company engineer”. Not a licensed engineer. 

Which means he designed, drafted, manufactured, and tested semiconductors and their housings. 

And then some licensed engineer stamped the drawings. 

Proof of the pudding is under the crust. 

So disrespectful to those who got those degrees though. Right, Nola? ;) 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Respect is earned. For me to respect someone it must be earned. My call not theirs.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I’d love to think licensing protects consumers but Dr Oz and a lot of others work to prove me wrong. 

Anyways. 

Jacques pepin is a chef because he damned well sounds like one. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I'd trust an over weight line cook way before any skinny chef.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Chef or not, he is the mayor of Flavortown. 
    He also makes a killer cheeseburger. I can vouch for him on that one 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• PigBeanUs
    Options
    “Cool-i-nary” or “Cue-li-nary”?
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Chef, or no chef?

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I think the chef tag is earned. Schooling or performing is a Rightious tribute. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    Options
    ACF
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,339
    Options
    Guy calls all the short order line cooks on DDD chef
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Like I said earlier, you either have completed the certified schooling or the non schooling way which requires rigorous on the job training until you are fully competent as a chef. There is also much more to the title chef than cooking. 

It’s particularly ironic that someone chose Raichlen, because stealing others food photos and pawning them off as your own is very similar to calling yourself chef when you really aren’t one. Some of the ones above have obviously completed rigorous training over years prior to being called chef. Others, I’m not sure. Again, doesn’t mean they aren’t great cooks. I bet however, if asked, they would tell you honestly. No one wants to be the guy passing themselves off as something they aren’t. Well, maybe Raichlen, IDK? This really isn’t very controversial. 

Also, I made a point all the way through this “controversy” to recognize Carey’s obvious and substantial cooking abilities. That’s not the point. Whatever, like I said a long time ago, I was fine with how Carey responded. Don’t really see why the groupies (didn’t want to use sycophants today) find this soooo threatening. Maybe it was JICs cowardly comments to Lit behind the scenes that have everyone doing distractive coverup? Yeah, that’s probably it. 

I may as well throw one out, what about the head guy at your local Applebee’s that microwaves your dish? Chef? Maybe? Have to ask him. 
  • rekameohs
    Options
    Can you win a James Beard award if you haven’t been to culinary school?  
    One just down the road from you is the latest winner.
    https://ac-restaurants.com/bio/
    Raleigh, NC
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    rekameohs said:
    Can you win a James Beard award if you haven’t been to culinary school?  
    One just down the road from you is the latest winner.
    https://ac-restaurants.com/bio/
    Yep.  The wife and I went to Death and Taxes last year for our anniversary.  We had an incredible meal there.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Jill Biden
    or
    Dr. Jill Biden

Seems as controversial as who is a "chef".

Why is Jackson Pollock considered an artist and Norman Rockwell is just considered an illustrator?
    What sort of certification does one need to be an artist (an MFA perhaps)?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Rockwell is considered both. 

BTW: I’m an illustrator, not an artist. 

An artist paints whatever the hell they want whenever they want to, and doesn’t care what anyone thinks. 

An illustrator gets hired to paint a specific thing, runs it by editorial staff for comment, and makes changes if needed. 

Rockwell had a foot over each line. 

It also has to do with critical perception, and the artist/illustrator’s own sensibilities. 

Biden earned a PhD. 

At least that’s the worst they can come up with. Not like she posed bare-*ssed and whored herself out for a green-card. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    I really think these questions are best left for the oracle of Illinois.
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    Options
    At Ivy Tech thier culinary program offers associates degrees, certificates and technical  certificates. You can further your education at IU and get a bachelor degree too but you are not titled as Chef. 

The American Culinary Federation is the only  organization I know of that is pushing for professional status by means of education and experience for certifications. Membership is open to most anyone through various levels. 

When I was in school you were sorta kinda obligated to joined. It did have some perks.

And if someone one is in sole control of kitchen and staff, I will respectfully and gladly refer to them as Chef. But that's just my two cents 

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Jill Biden
    or
    Dr. Jill Biden

Why is Jackson Pollock considered an artist and Norman Rockwell is just considered an illustrator?
    Not so controversial IMO (but I guess that's how subjects become controversial).

One can complete a doctorate in a variety of fields of study, and be fully entitled to use the title "Doctor" - anything you can complete a course of study in for a PhD, nursing practice, nursing science, naturopathy, optometry, chiropractic, medicine, and a multitude of other areas. 

Some countries distinguish between medical and non-medical doctors in the way the title is written preceding one's name e.g. in some European countries Dr.= medical;  Dr.(Prof.)= education.

Some languages have different notations for the title, e.g. in Bengali, the vowel notation after the "d" in "Dr." indicates whether the person is a medical doctor, or other. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    So...once a chef, always a chef?
    Options
    So...once a chef, always a chef?
    Only if you have chef certificate from chef school. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    caliking said:
    HeavyG said:
    Jill Biden
    or
    Dr. Jill Biden

Not so controversial IMO (but I guess that's how subjects become controversial).

One can complete a doctorate in a variety of fields of study, and be fully entitled to use the title "Doctor" - anything you can complete a course of study in for a PhD, nursing practice, nursing science, naturopathy, optometry, chiropractic, medicine, and a multitude of other areas. 

Some countries distinguish between medical and non-medical doctors in the way the title is written preceding one's name e.g. in some European countries Dr.= medical;  Dr.(Prof.)= education.

Some languages have different notations for the title, e.g. in Bengali, the vowel notation after the "d" in "Dr." indicates whether the person is a medical doctor, or other. 

I only mention Jill Biden cuz of that ridiculous op ed in the Wall St. Journal a couple days ago.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    Very few “chefs” are actually trained Executive Chef’s. Most are chef de cuisine. Some are like cooks that are called chef. Don’t matter if it’s Sullivan’s Steakhouse, Ruth’s Chris etc. I’d almost rather the guy cooking my meal learn from the school of hard knocks
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    What is it called when you are into Lawn Organization Summer Equipment Requisition?
    Options
    What is it called when you are into Lawn Organization Summer Equipment Requisition?
    allowance?
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • A_Smalltown_Egg
    A_Smalltown_Egg Posts: 33
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I have worked with some incredible Chefs and cooks through my career. A culinary school education does not make you a Chef and lacking a culinary degree does not preclude you from being a Chef (hello Thomas Keller). You are a Chef when you earn the title Chef (same thing with a Sommelier). Generally speaking, I think others will determine whether or not and when someone is a Chef.
  • PigBeanUs
    Options
    What is it called when you are into Lawn Organization Summer Equipment Requisition

“ And then when I walked down the street, people would've looked and they would've said ‘there he goes, the best damn lawn chair salesman there ever was’ ”.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Body.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Botch said:
    I have worked with some incredible Chefs and cooks through my career. A culinary school education does not make you a Chef and lacking a culinary degree does not preclude you from being a Chef (hello Thomas Keller). You are a Chef when you earn the title Chef (same thing with a Sommelier).  

Well, I'd draw the line here, but that's just me.  
    @Botch - further criteria for the above?  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.