Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fun game: Chef or No Chef

Options

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    blind99 said:
    In England, surgeons are addressed as Mr or Ms, instead of Dr. 

Apparently, some people find *that* pretentious.

If I trim a brisket, does that qualify me for the “Mr.” status attributed to a surgeon, or do I need formal training? 
    I think Mr Brisket has a better ring to it than Dr Brisket.  And that's the point, ya gotta keep up good impressions. 

Remember how Homer Simpson went by Mr Plow?  that was perfect.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I give this thread a 9 out of 10 for entertainment and longevity. I love this place.
    Only stories involving squirrels and old wine get a higher rating...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I give this thread a 9 out of 10 for entertainment and longevity. I love this place.
    It has been so much more than i ever would have assumed... 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SciAggie
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    There's a possible lump fight over on aisle 2. Problem is they tend to burn out quickly.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    blind99 said:
    blind99 said:

If I trim a brisket, does that qualify me for the “Mr.” status attributed to a surgeon, or do I need formal training? 
    I think Mr Brisket has a better ring to it than Dr Brisket.  And that's the point, ya gotta keep up good impressions. 

It’s Mr. Brisket in Europe and Canada and Dr. Brisket in United States. I am ignorant of the proper title in Latin American regions. I suspect it varies. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    blind99 said:
    blind99 said:

It’s Mr. Brisket in Europe and Canada and Dr. Brisket in United States. I am ignorant of the proper title in Latin American regions. I suspect it varies. 
    If they really respect you they call you both in Latin America.  "Senor Doctor".

I have a plaque from Ecuador to that effect.  

Keeping on topic, I don't have any plaques or papers that list me as a chef.  If I did @20stone would take it away every time I put some of our homemade sausage on a storebought biscuit from a can.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,626
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    blind99 said:
    blind99 said:

If they really respect you they call you both in Latin America.  "Senor Doctor".

Keeping on topic, I don't have any plaques or papers that list me as a chef.  If I did @20stone would take it away every time I put some of our homemade sausage on a storebought biscuit from a can.
    Depends, were you camping?
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,626
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    you know what they say, when you assume, someone always steps up to be the as$
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Legume said:
    Foghorn said:
    blind99 said:
    blind99 said:

Depends, were you camping?
    Sometimes.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I saw it a little differently, but whatever.  I was really busy for a couple of days - so when I got caught up by reading through dozens of posts in this thread in one sitting I found myself thinking "I can't believe I'm wasting my time reading this drivel..."

San Antonio, TX

• SciAggie
    Options
    Foghorn said: 

So you'll take sausage - not just any sausage - but sausage made from the finest homegrown animal, ground, stuffed, and seasoned by hand with the finest ingredients... Measurments held to exacting standards and calculated by the most advanced spreadsheet... You'll take that sausage...
    And put it on a whopper bisquit?
    That's why I'll never be Mr. Dr. Chef  - I don't have your vision...

*Disclaimer* I really am not judging - just felt compelled to comment.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    My brisket is so erudite, I put salt and Dr Pepper on it.
    Options
    Dr or not?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    SciAggie said:
    I saw it a little differently, but whatever.  I was really busy for a couple of days - so when I got caught up by reading through dozens of posts in this thread in one sitting I found myself thinking "I can't believe I'm wasting my time reading this drivel..."
    Thats the whole point. 6 pages of non-sense from a little throw away thread. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,343
    Options
    caliking said:
    I hit forum gold here:

Got this to try chicharrones in a bag, and they’re pretty blah. Their chef must not be certified. 
    I have the jalapeño cheddar version in the pantry. Same. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Foghorn
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Foghorn said: 

So you'll take sausage - not just any sausage - but sausage made from the finest homegrown animal, ground, stuffed, and seasoned by hand with the finest ingredients... Measurments held to exacting standards and calculated by the most advanced spreadsheet... You'll take that sausage...
    And put it on a whopper bisquit?
    That's why I'll never be Mr. Dr. Chef  - I don't have your vision...

*Disclaimer* I really am not judging - just felt compelled to comment.
    The short answer is "yes".

And you left out that I paid for 1/6 of the animal raising and I put my own sweat equity (on most occasions) into the making of the sausage.

What can I say?  I like flaky biscuits from a can better than most homemade biscuits. 

I know you're just razzing me @SciAggie, so I don't take it personally.  I always enjoy your comments.  This is about as close to trolling as I get.

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Just admit canned biscuits makes you a bad, bad person, Dan.  It'll be cathartic. 
    Options
    The frozen biscuits are where it’s at. Just like Bob Evans mashed potatoes. I mean does anybody even make mashed taters from scratch anymore?
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Foghorn
    Options
    Just admit canned biscuits makes you a bad, bad person, Dan.  It'll be cathartic. 
    Nope.  Love me some canned biscuits.  I think the next thing I may put on one is some of @The Cen-Tex Smoker's homemade bacon.

The horror.

San Antonio, TX

• SciAggie
    Options
    @Foghorn Truth be told I had whopper biscuits on Sunday. I like Jacques Pépin’s philosophy, “Cook for yourself and your family the way YOU like it.” That’s not a quote but I believe that’s how he feels. I’ve watched him interviewed many times. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    The frozen biscuits are where it’s at. Just like Bob Evans mashed potatoes. I mean does anybody even make mashed taters from scratch anymore?
    we do, if using instant pot and microwave counts  ;)
    canuckland
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    we do, if using instant pot and microwave counts  ;)
    Made some just the other day. Not hard. Sautéed onions and garlic. Boiled some sweet potatoes. Mashed the potatoes, onions and garlic with butter and cream cheese. Done. Crowd pleaser. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,486
    Options
    I make biscuits/croissants out of the tube, but dammit if I can't open the &$^%! things; I've even watched a bunch of EweTube videos and they're inconclusive.  
    I eventually get them open (usually with my cleaver) but dammit, it shouldn't be that hard (and yes I read the instructions).  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @Botch: Try an oyster shucker. Poke and twist. You’ll be a mother shucker in no time. 
  • Botch
    Options
    @Botch: Try an oyster shucker. Poke and twist. You’ll be a mother shucker in no time. 
    I live in utard, and my drawer-ful of brine shrimp peelers are too delicate; I'll check Amazoid....  ;)  

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    Botch said:
    I make biscuits/croissants out of the tube, but dammit if I can't open the &$^%! things; I've even watched a bunch of EweTube videos and they're inconclusive.  
    I eventually get them open (usually with my cleaver) but dammit, it shouldn't be that hard (and yes I read the instructions).  
    Peel the paper and pop it on the corner of the counter. Done. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Botch
    Options
    Battleborn said:
    Peel the paper and pop it on the corner of the counter. Done. 
    It's peeling the paper that never works for me.  There is a silver rectangle that looks  like a pull tab, but it isn't.  There might be a protruding corner to grab, but there isn't.  Maybe I can pluck the paper at the metal lid (I can see the damn crease), but I can't.  
    It's okay, I can't figure out a damn smartphone either; it's my lot in life.  :disappointed:  

• SciAggie
    Options
    @Botch That’s why my mom called them “whopper” biscuits. Peel the paper back as best you can then give the can a solid “whop” against the edge of the kitchen counter. Hit the seam and it’ll pop right open. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    You are killing me @botch! Whack it on the counter man!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.