Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

nolaegghead
nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
edited December 2020 in EggHead Forum
We all want to see what cool stuff you are buying (so we can judge, stereotype or just plain envy you).

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    My beloved Panasonic plasma died so I bought a new telly. Sony No Baloney. An XBR49950H.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG said:
    My beloved Panasonic plasma died so I bought a new telly. Sony No Baloney. An XBR49950H.
    Too bad!  The Panasonic Plasmas were the best panels ever made.  I have one still hanging on.  After calibration it was phenomenal.  I have a newer QLED from Samsung that is amazing too, but not as accurate as the Panny.
    Ruining Gaskets one cook at a time.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    They finally had a sale last week.  Arrives today or tomorrow.

• Already showed this guy in another thread, but placing this crystal fandelier in this thread as well to take my $$ further. Plus, we’re not having visitors, so who else is going to critique my misguided taste?

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,182
    edited December 2020
    Also purchased this week were a Dyson, some custom curtains (with rod and installation), a sit/stand desk and some other miscellaneous items. 

Might need to start a GoFundMe. 
  • HeavyG said:
    Too bad!  The Panasonic Plasmas were the best panels ever made.  I have one still hanging on.  After calibration it was phenomenal.  I have a newer QLED from Samsung that is amazing too, but not as accurate as the Panny.
    Agree, My Panasonic Plasma is 10 years old still going strong.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    HeavyG said:

Agree with you both.  My Panasonic Plasma continues going strong after 12+ years.  It will be a sad day when it gives up the ghost.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Legume said:
    They finally had a sale last week.  Arrives today or tomorrow.

Partnership with Hitachi on the design?

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    HeavyG said:
    Thats a nice TV. I was able to score the A8H on Black Friday weekend for a grand off.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    edited December 2020

400$CDN and they had my money but 779$CDN, damn...

Sure you’re not getting upcharged for the French version? 😂

• Yes I'm a computer geek.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    paqman said:

Sure you’re not getting upcharged for the French version? 😂
    That’s probably what it is 😂

Nice score!  Those things are harder to find than honest politicians.
  • paqman said:

$400 for high end headphones is not unreasonable at all.  $400 for Apple (Beats) headphones is crazy.  I suspect they will be fair to middling.  Most likely bass heavy, muddled mid range and non existent highs.  Coupled with proprietary plugs and totally non-servicable.  I also bet they will sell a bazillion of them and my wife or kids will wind up with a pair against my wishes.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG said:
    Thats a nice TV. I was able to score the A8H on Black Friday weekend for a grand off.

The OLEDs do seem nice. The other telly I was considering was the LG OLED48CXPUB. Space restrictions necessitated a telly <50".
    I almost went for the LG but my usage habits told me not to. The tv in our den is generally running 12+ hours a day and many hours at a time its parked on BBC News. I know that current OLEDs have various mitigation strategies to lessen the likelihood of burn in for most users but given my use pattern I decided an OLED wasn't a good fit for the den.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    dbCooper said:
    HeavyG said:

Agree with you both.  My Panasonic Plasma continues going strong after 12+ years.  It will be a sad day when it gives up the ghost.

I did cry a little.

• Sheldon_Nigel
    Sheldon_Nigel Posts: 173
    edited December 2020
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

The OLEDs do seem nice. The other telly I was considering was the LG OLED48CXPUB. Space restrictions necessitated a telly <50".
    I almost went for the LG but my usage habits told me not to. The tv in our den is generally running 12+ hours a day and many hours at a time its parked on BBC News. I know that current OLEDs have various mitigation strategies to lessen the likelihood of burn in for most users but given my use pattern I decided an OLED wasn't a good fit for the den.

Major issue with current OLEDs is burn in is cummulative.  Yes, cummulative.  So turning it off, changing the channel, etc does not "reset" the burn in timer like on Plasmas.  They last review I read said average viewing habits would probably show signs of burn in within 2-3 years.. Yikes!

• South of Columbus, Ohio.

• That the isolation frame they took off his head after the brain injury surgery?

In 2006 I spec’d a computer where the video card alone was $1200. 

Had to buy a new replacement rig last year. 

The videocard is pretty damn good, but the thing only barely beats my 15yo computer. 

I was kinda hoping prices had dropped. Or tech had improved significantly. 

Nope. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    GPU and full graphics stacks have been exceeding Moore's law.  More like Huang's law. There must be a problem with your stack.
    edited December 2020
    Nah

All good

i went somewhat all-in the first time. 

2006, $6500. I’m betting my 2006 Boxx beats whatever gaming rig the kids are putting together these days. 

About $8500 now.

I did not spend 8500 for the new rig. Because I work smarter now. 

(EDIT: now, NOW i spend money on my hobbies, not my fvcking job)