Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Options

Comments

• Sheldon_Nigel
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
     (EDIT: now, NOW i spend money on my hobbies, not my fvcking job)
    You invest in your business, you spend on your hobby.
    Ruining Gaskets one cook at a time.
  • PigBeanUs
    Options
    Tell me something I don’t already know. 

• Sheldon_Nigel
    Sheldon_Nigel Posts: 173
    edited December 2020
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
    Tell me something I don’t already know. 

When the Dutch captured New York from the English in 1673, they renamed it New Orange in honor of William III of Orange. The following year the English regained control they removed the name.
  • bettyball
    Options
    Awesome! So helpful content
  • JustBuggin
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:

Yes I'm a computer geek.
    In 2006 I spec’d a computer where the video card alone was $1200. 

Had to buy a new replacement rig last year. 

The videocard is pretty damn good, but the thing only barely beats my 15yo computer. 

I was kinda hoping prices had dropped. Or tech had improved significantly. 

Nope. 
    Not to totally geek out but the prices of GPUs when looking at price per performance is very good right now. This is an $800 card that outperforms the $1500+ card of the previous series. If you stick to low/mid range cards then you are correct, you won't see much of a difference but buying anything of the new 3000 nVidia series will yield a significant difference unless you have a $1000 plus card from the 2000 series. Even the 3060Ti is quite impressive at only about $400.

PigBeanUs said:
    Nah

All good

i went somewhat all-in the first time. 

2006, $6500. I’m betting my 2006 Boxx beats whatever gaming rig the kids are putting together these days. 

About $8500 now.

I did not spend 8500 for the new rig. Because I work smarter now. 

Anyone that spends that much on a pc these days has more money than sense. I don't even think I could find parts to build a pc that costly. My recent build including the graphics card and water cooling costs about $2000, maybe a little more including the fittings and would be considered a top end gaming rig.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    paqman said:

400$CDN and they had my money but 779$CDN, damn...
    $400 for high end headphones is not unreasonable at all.  $400 for Apple (Beats) headphones is crazy.  I suspect they will be fair to middling.  Most likely bass heavy, muddled mid range and non existent highs.  Coupled with proprietary plugs and totally non-servicable.  I also bet they will sell a bazillion of them and my wife or kids will wind up with a pair against my wishes.
    I can’t comment about sound quality because I did not try them.  Apple did it right with HomePod sound quality so I suspect they will do the same with the AirPod max.  If they were just rebranded Beats headphones, they would have released them a long time ago.  They clearly invested in R&D.

Non-serviceable, I can’t even get replacement ear cushions for my Bose headphones.  I have never seen headphones that are serviceable...

Proprietary plugs, yep, I am surprised that they have lightning connectors and NO charger included.  Not really a problem here because I already have tons of lightning cables but I was expecting USB-C like they seem to be using on their newer devices.  I like lightning connectors though... they are much better the micro-USB.  USB-C looks promising, no problem so far but time will tell.

dbCooper said:
    Updated the patio speakers.  The old, hand me down, "Rock" speakers did me well for 5+ years.  Costco had a recent deal on Klipsch KHO-7's that was too good to resist.

What are those Blue and Yellow things????
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    Finally received after almost almost three month wait.  Took the Texas LTC on Saturday and passed.

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• Sheldon_Nigel
    Options
    bettyball said:
    Awesome! So helpful content
    Glad to be of service!  Tons of amazing info on here.  We have a wonderful assortment of experts and hobbyist that are willing to help you with anything.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    edited December 2020
    Options
    filson double mackinaw to replace a 35 year old nh roadkill muskrat hat

Filson Double Mackinaw Cap  CharcoalDark Brown - Sportique

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    In the process of purchasing two vehicles. Doing my research now.

One will be for ranch/fun activities. The other for My Beautiful Wife, for tooling around safely, in mountain/snowy terrain to ski, and eventually for us to pick up folks at the airport and give them a comfortable ride back.

Interesting process thus far.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    In the process of purchasing two vehicles. Doing my research now.

One will be for ranch/fun activities. The other for My Beautiful Wife, for tooling around safely, in mountain/snowy terrain to ski, and eventually for us to pick up folks at the airport and give them a comfortable ride back.

Interesting process thus far.

you have not bought the yukon yet =) incase you have not noticed, the buffalo put the big ot threads in lockup in the ot forum
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,082
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    Updated the patio speakers.  The old, hand me down, "Rock" speakers did me well for 5+ years.  Costco had a recent deal on Klipsch KHO-7's that was too good to resist.

What are those Blue and Yellow things????

"Green" snowblowers.  =)
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options

Thats called a spyder. Once you learn to light your grill ill tell you what it's used for.
  • WesJohnson
    WesJohnson Posts: 130
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Lit said:

This looks like someone's audition photo for the cast of Glee. 
    I used to be able to name every nut that there was. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Lit said:

This looks like someone's audition photo for the cast of Glee. 
    Sorry im not 60 plus like all you guys
  • PigBeanUs
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:

Yes I'm a computer geek.
    In 2006 I spec’d a computer where the video card alone was $1200. 

Had to buy a new replacement rig last year. 

The videocard is pretty damn good, but the thing only barely beats my 15yo computer. 

I was kinda hoping prices had dropped. Or tech had improved significantly. 

Nope. 
    Not to totally geek out but the prices of GPUs when looking at price per performance is very good right now. This is an $800 card that outperforms the $1500+ card of the previous series. If you stick to low/mid range cards then you are correct, you won't see much of a difference but buying anything of the new 3000 nVidia series will yield a significant difference unless you have a $1000 plus card from the 2000 series. Even the 3060Ti is quite impressive at only about $400.

PigBeanUs said:
    Nah

All good

i went somewhat all-in the first time. 

2006, $6500. I’m betting my 2006 Boxx beats whatever gaming rig the kids are putting together these days. 

About $8500 now.

I did not spend 8500 for the new rig. Because I work smarter now. 

Anyone that spends that much on a pc these days has more money than sense. I don't even think I could find parts to build a pc that costly. My recent build including the graphics card and water cooling costs about $2000, maybe a little more including the fittings and would be considered a top end gaming rig.
    Write off. Professional use

lot of heavy lifting. My 2006 rig was capable of rendering and modeling at ridiculous speeds, huge polygon counts, etc. 

i run a bit more pared down these days because i don’t model or do photoreal rendering any more

Build my own? Nah. Not worth my time to teach myself that. And service it

I can literally throw my computer out the second floor window, call them and tell them I did so, and they will send me the same exact machine in two to three days. Used to be overnight. 

I geek out on other stuff. My computer is a means to an end. 

I did not spend nearly as much on this rig as the previous. Was a decent chunk of change But one job pays for it. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Apple is making their own CPUs to get out from under Intel.  The M1 processor is insane.  For example, the M1 in the Air is blowing away all the 16" MBP with the Intel i9 processors.  People are running 8 monitors in mixed modes from 4K to 1080p and simultaneously playing high res video, navigating desktops and running a game and the processor fan is not even coming on.

I hear they are coming out with a server version that will have something like 96 cores.

Intel has some serious problems.

Build my own? Nah. Not worth my time to teach myself that. And service it
    I always get a kick out of it when people say something like that about building a pc. Like it is some secret power that must be learned over years of time. In all reality its as easy as putting a grill together or doing simple car maintenance like an oil change. Each piece only goes in one way and unless you poor water or stick a magnet on is pretty durable. Its your money though. ;)
  • SonVolt
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Apple is making their own CPUs to get out from under Intel.  The M1 processor is insane.  For example, the M1 in the Air is blowing away all the 16" MBP with the Intel i9 processors.  People are running 8 monitors in mixed modes from 4K to 1080p and simultaneously playing high res video, navigating desktops and running a game and the processor fan is not even coming on.

I hear they are coming out with a server version that will have something like 96 cores.

Intel has some serious problems.

That's good news. Maybe their products won't be unusably slow and/or reject OS updates after 5 years like all my previous Macs and iPads. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options

I seem to remember seeing that the M1 Air doesn't even have a fan.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Botch said:

I seem to remember seeing that the M1 Air doesn't even have a fan.  
    You are right.  Looking back, that information came from a different article where they were testing a Mini which has a fan.
    Options

Hon filling cabinets.  Thrift store.  I was donating an Ethan Allen Bedroom set and saw these.  5 bucks each and today only! 

They had a tent for furniture but it's getting cold in the midwest. Tent came down, furniture must go! 

Going to see what threads the leveling feet use and buy casters so they will roll around the garage. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I put this on the other one last night. Just wanted a fun travel/couch lounger acoustic.

Very cool. I’ve owned some Taylors and had a friend who owned a great Big Baby that saw us all through high school. Projection wise, their guits are hard to beat. 

If you want a neat travel guitar and something that is impervious to the elements as well, there’s no better choice than this. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/OF660Black--journey-instruments-of660-overhead-carbon-fiber-black-gloss
    Bought one last May so that I always had access to a guitar that didn’t need to be in my humidified guitar room. No regrets. Very happy. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options

Birthday gift from the wife.

These should be much better than the Walmart set we are still using that we bought 26 years ago.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SonVolt
    Options
    I bought 2 old school Pizza Hut 14" deep dish pans. Stolen I'm sure, but authentic. 
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options

Love my spiders!
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • SonVolt
    Options
    filson double mackinaw to replace a 35 year old nh roadkill muskrat hat

Filson Double Mackinaw Cap  CharcoalDark Brown - Sportique

This reminds me of either Elmer Fudd or that drunk dude from Gremlins. Now I want one for Christmas. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    My beloved Panasonic plasma died so I bought a new telly. Sony No Baloney. An XBR49950H.
    Too bad!  The Panasonic Plasmas were the best panels ever made.  I have one still hanging on.  After calibration it was phenomenal.  I have a newer QLED from Samsung that is amazing too, but not as accurate as the Panny.
    Just hung a new TV on the wall adjacent to the plasma. Is the panasonic coming down? Nope nope nope. I don’t care if two TVs in one room looks dumb. if march madness ever happens again i'll be ready.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle