Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Doing Right Now? (non OT version)

Options

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    It's a fun day of back-to-back-to-back Zoom meetings
    You need to inject some of the Friday night Zoom topics.  Would definitely liven them up, I'm sure.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Sheldon_Nigel
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    My wife: "How many more commercials is Joe Namath going to be in?"

Me: "How do you know who Joe Namath is? Was he a guest on Full House when you watched it as a kid?"

My wife: "Wasn't he a NBA player?"

if someone could go back in time and shoot him so i didnt have to suffer thru all the commercials i would be obliged ;)
    Congrats on the 420th post.
    Ruining Gaskets one cook at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
    PigBeanUs said:

interesting, buy a new fridge every ten years instead of changing the 3 dollar bulb twice every 50 years or so =) my newest fridge is around a 1975, the older one is maybe 1940 and has no bulb which i guess solves a major problem =)
    The savings on a $3 bulb is irrelevant compared to what it costs to run a pair of refrigerators from the 40s and 70s. 

Unplugged a ca1980 fridge and the bill went down $30/mo. New one is half that. 

so how much is the kitchen remodel cost when the new fridge dies every ten years and the new fridge does not fit, never mind the cost of the fridge or the repair bill for the included ice maker. i only use about 250kwh per month on average which is pretty much nothing
    If you can build a shower in an attic, you can probably make a fridge fit. 

Regardless. You are bragging about saving three bucks on a lightbulb. 

Whether you buy a new fridge or not, that’s a weird thing to flex on. 

without lifting a finger im pretty much breaking even.  and im living with an unfinished bathroom, i would expect to live with an unfinished kitchen at home and at camp as well if i replaced the fridge. a new fridge with a deep door would be nice but it would hit the stove at home and a support column at camp =) plastic shelving would never survive the animals at work, those metal shelves in the old fridge are almost undestructable, almost
    Don't let BigPeanus cause you to question your path.  He us part of cancel culture and happy to just throw out perfectly good hardware and fill up landfills so he can show his buddies his cool new fridge.

ten years from now i could show him the old pvc drain from the kitchen sink i just rebuilt, its in the crate with all the other pvc fittings. funny thing is the prior owner glued a piece on one of the fittings that was leaking maybe 20 years ago. will see if the new stuff holds up, it seems they changed the pvc cement again and it doesnt seem they changed it in a good way
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Legume said:
    thetrim said:
    That's the education racket for you....  At all levels
    Please expand on this, I’m not sure I understand your point.
    They get their money no matter the circumstances.   

Pretty simple actually.  

I’m sorry I don’t have a crayon font for you.  That might make it easier for you to comprehend.  
    I don’t understand your comment about this being a racket, as in there is something inherently nefarious or unethical about this.  We all pay taxes to fund public education.  Government dictates what they deliver.  This isn’t a profitable service, it’s not a restaurant trying to change you for meals you may or may not eat.

Private school is a choice, an option.  Some are profit-oriented, some are not.  Wide range there, but they’re all a choice, an alternative to public school.  Just like taxes supporting public schools don’t go away regardless of what the schools are able to deliver (eg pandemic conditions), this school is saying they need their $ to keep the lights on, cost of choosing them and signing up.  Take it or leave it.

• fishlessman
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
    PigBeanUs said:

interesting, buy a new fridge every ten years instead of changing the 3 dollar bulb twice every 50 years or so =) my newest fridge is around a 1975, the older one is maybe 1940 and has no bulb which i guess solves a major problem =)
    The savings on a $3 bulb is irrelevant compared to what it costs to run a pair of refrigerators from the 40s and 70s. 

so how much is the kitchen remodel cost when the new fridge dies every ten years and the new fridge does not fit, never mind the cost of the fridge or the repair bill for the included ice maker. i only use about 250kwh per month on average which is pretty much nothing

and the snow feature in the artic attic shower was cool, everyone should have one
    fukahwee maine

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    Legume said:
    thetrim said:
    Legume said:
    thetrim said:
    That's the education racket for you....  At all levels
    Please expand on this, I’m not sure I understand your point.
    They get their money no matter the circumstances.   

Pretty simple actually.  

I’m sorry I don’t have a crayon font for you.  That might make it easier for you to comprehend.  
    I don’t understand your comment about this being a racket, as in there is something inherently nefarious or unethical about this.  We all pay taxes to fund public education.  Government dictates what they deliver.  This isn’t a profitable service, it’s not a restaurant trying to change you for meals you may or may not eat.

Private school is a choice, an option.  Some are profit-oriented, some are not.  Wide range there, but they’re all a choice, an alternative to public school.  Just like taxes supporting public schools don’t go away regardless of what the schools are able to deliver (eg pandemic conditions), this school is saying they need their $ to keep the lights on, cost of choosing them and signing up.  Take it or leave it.

And seriously Steve, if your real answer is “I don’t know, I was just making a flippant comment and generally just buy into conspiracy theories” that’s fine too.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    incase anyone had missed it, prototype arctic snow shower

DSC_0050-1jpg

fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
    PigBeanUs said:

without lifting a finger im pretty much breaking even.  and im living with an unfinished bathroom, i would expect to live with an unfinished kitchen at home and at camp as well if i replaced the fridge. a new fridge with a deep door would be nice but it would hit the stove at home and a support column at camp =) plastic shelving would never survive the animals at work, those metal shelves in the old fridge are almost undestructable, almost
    Don't let BigPeanus cause you to question your path.  He us part of cancel culture and happy to just throw out perfectly good hardware and fill up landfills so he can show his buddies his cool new fridge.

I'm pretty sure these guys know each other outside the forum and are just messing with each other.  I wouldn't bother with the encouragement.
    WeberWho said:
    Thanking whoever was looking over me this morning as my rear left truck tire had a blowout just seconds after exiting the highway. I felt the rear end get squirrely when exiting the off ramp and knew I didn't have much time as the tire wasn't happy. Not knowing the area that well my best bet was to get off the main road as it had no shoulder and constant traffic on it. In that split second my wife goes, "Look Discount tire!" The very first exit off the highway. I threw my truck in neutral and coasted the best I could into the parking lot.

That tire could have blown anywhere the previous 15 miles going 70 mph on the highway but it held off until the exit ramp and not even a half block from a tire shop that I could roll into. I'm feeling very thankful right now. 

Buy a lotto ticket!  Glad it all worked out well.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Better to be lucky than good any day.  Glad it worked out.
    @WeberWho - any idea the cause?  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    Legume said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Enrolling my daughter for Pre-K4 next year, re-enrolling my son for 1st grade. They added a pandemic clause this year in the tuition schedule. Basically says, y’all keep paying no matter what. 
    That’s the choice, right?  Keep the kids in private school or bounce them to public.  I’m sure you’re still paying taxes for public schools, regardless of any impact to services they are able deliver.
    Absolutely correct @Legume, it’s our choice. Check out public school rankings in Louisiana and then you’ll see why the choice is as an easy one. There are 5 private catholic elementary schools going pre-k thru 8th. Cost separation between the 5 is about $500 annually. Just dreaming of what I could do with $16,000+ cash a year for the next 14 years of my life 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Legume said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Enrolling my daughter for Pre-K4 next year, re-enrolling my son for 1st grade. They added a pandemic clause this year in the tuition schedule. Basically says, y’all keep paying no matter what. 
    That’s the choice, right?  Keep the kids in private school or bounce them to public.  I’m sure you’re still paying taxes for public schools, regardless of any impact to services they are able deliver.
    Absolutely correct @Legume, it’s our choice. Check out public school rankings in Louisiana and then you’ll see why the choice is as an easy one. There are 5 private catholic elementary schools going pre-k thru 8th. Cost separation between the 5 is about $500 annually. Just dreaming of what I could do with $16,000+ cash a year for the next 14 years of my life 
    When we were house shopping one of my wife's co-workers said "You'll pay for school, it'll be tuition or mortgage/taxes, but you'll pay for it."  We're paying tuition (and I'd happily jump at your $8k/kid), because we bought in an area that isn't zoned for great schools.  If we were in a better zoned area in our county, our home price would probably be 1.5-2 times higher, and if we were one county over, in one of the best districts in the country, it would probably be 3x higher.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Sheldon_Nigel
    Options
    Trying to figure out what is going on in this collage.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

Hmm.  I wonder what kind of a wormhole you fell into to find that collage in the first place?  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited December 2020
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    My wife: "How many more commercials is Joe Namath going to be in?"

Me: "How do you know who Joe Namath is? Was he a guest on Full House when you watched it as a kid?"

My wife: "Wasn't he a NBA player?"

No idea who Joe Namath is. I'm guessing a sports celebrity, but don't care enough to fire up the Googlz =)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Sheldon_Nigel
    Sheldon_Nigel Posts: 173
    edited December 2020
    Options

Hmm.  I wonder what kind of a wormhole you fell into to find that collage in the first place?  
    I stumbled across that while looking up recipes today.
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    Losing what precious few  brain cells I have left trying to make sense out of what Bill Walton is saying. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options
    bucky925 said:
    Losing what precious few  brain cells I have left trying to make sense out of what Bill Walton is saying. 
    It’s painful. I ended up muting the IU game
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lousubcap
    Options
    @caliking - I can fill in the blanks with Joe Namath Friday night.  Sports celebrity (likely gave the fledgling AFL it's jump start to parity with the NFL) is correct but just as a teaser- a C grade movie star, linked here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUNLwMcLuH8  Be well.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    bucky925 said:
    He’s incomprehensible.  
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina Is, “Yes, you are right.” the new, “I’m just sayin’”?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,079
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @caliking - I can fill in the blanks with Joe Namath Friday night.  Sports celebrity (likely gave the fledgling AFL it's jump start to parity with the NFL) is correct but just as a teaser- a C grade movie star, linked here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUNLwMcLuH8  Be well.  

I know that movie @lousubcap Ann-Margret makes up for all shortcomings it may have.  My grade is DD!
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @JohnInCarolina Is, “Yes, you are right.” the new, “I’m just sayin’”?
    Google “secret to happiness yes you are right” - without the quotes.
  • Sheldon_Nigel
    Options

Not sure why all the flags for my comment?  I think people have some issues on here.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,466
    edited December 2020
    Options
    https://youtu.be/fkWwpigE38Y

I'm not posting the above video, I'm posting it for the commercial that starts it off.  These guys are about as enthusiastic as our friend in Chicago, and I don't remember this particular brand being mentioned before.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,466
    Options
    Regarding sports figures, I, the ass**** I was with, and some other guy got into an elevator in Philadelphia, and **** started chatting with him, asked for a picture with him, and then started blah-blaring his life story.  The guy hurried off in the lobby, I guess it was Wayne Gretzky.  I was clueless.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• lousubcap
    Options
    @Botch my assessment of the  above commercial is that they can't hold a candle to @dmchicago nd his enthusiasm.  I know he is in sales but he puts those guys to shame.  Gotta appreciate the hug shot just the same.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Not sure why all the flags for my comment?  I think people have some issues on here.
    Strange.  I don't get it.