Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

THANKSGIVING LEFTOVER THROWDOWN!!!

Options

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Just a bump for leftover turkey ideas.   @trim had a killer looking reincarnation meal 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Just a bump for leftover turkey ideas.   @trim had a killer looking reincarnation meal 
    @Mattman3969 daaang I almost forgot all this goodness. 

And @thetrim I feel like this is a sign that you should host this year’s Throwdown. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Sausage Cornbread Gravy Waffles with poached eggs. Yellowbird Habanero to open up the sleepy eyes. Works for me!

Yellow bird is a few miles from me. They are good folks. This looks amazing by the way. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    Sausage Cornbread Gravy Waffles with poached eggs. Yellowbird Habanero to open up the sleepy eyes. Works for me!

whats your secret on the poach?? that thing looks perfect
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I made a turkey sandwich with mayo, lettuce, and bread and butter pickles on white bread. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    poster said:

whats your secret on the poach?? that thing looks perfect
    Thx!  I love poachers and have tried every trick in the book to get them right — I’ve added white vinegar to the water, swirled the water ifast before dropping in the eggs, unshelled  the eggs into a dish before putting them in, etc. After lots of trial and even more error, I crack them directly into a swirling saucepan of strongly simmering water (no vinegar) and leave them for no more than 3 minutes. But the big difference maker is removing them onto paper towels to “dry off” a bit before eating. I gently flip them over so the excess water gets absorbed by the towels. That little rest period really seems to let the whites firm up w/o doing any violence to the yolks. 

And @The Cen-Tex Smoker we LOVE yellowbird here. My son discovered it little eyedropper-sized bottles and we were hooked immediately. Somewhere along the line we found the big bottles with the same dropper-like opening and it’s become our go-to.  As the kids say, it’s “dope!”  
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Deviled eggs made of Thanksgiving leftovers. 
    That looks AWESOME!!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,848
    Options
    Thanks @HendersonTRKing.  It seems that we could have paired our leftovers for a great meal.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Pan fried (lightly) a couple sections of bone in pork roast with mole seasoning. Served with left over SC hash and rice. Added some baby limas (butter beans) for sumpin green. 
    Y’all eat well. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    Good grief.
    I had no idea most of this thread was a bump from two years ago, until I saw a BGEBrent post....  :|
    Will still post my sammich idea on Monday (still have enough gravy to repeat today's meal, I waited until Saturday for TG).    

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I had a turkey, greenbean casserole, pancake with gravy.  Weird, but good.

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Lunch today, Thanksgiving tortilla pizza.  Red sauce with gravy, dressing, mashed potato, turkey and shredded cheese mix.  This was a fail.  The gravy didn't go well with the red sauce in mashed potatos are no good this way.  Hey, they can't all be winners.

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Turkey reubens. Traditional (kraut) and Cali (slaw). OMG so good. And so much better than tomorrow’s tetrazzini is going to be. 

Looks good.  I love tetrazini, and that was in the plan, but I am running out of turkey after yesterday's gumbo.

NOLA
  • Botch
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    Lunch today, Thanksgiving tortilla pizza.  Red sauce with gravy, dressing, mashed potato, turkey and shredded cheese mix.  This was a fail.  The gravy didn't go well with the red sauce in mashed potatos are no good this way.  Hey, they can't all be winners.

No, they can't all be winners, but posting failed experiments helps us ALL learn; thanks!  

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    RyanStl said:

Coincidentally, I was also thinking about Thanksgiving pizza today, but got *SQUIRREL!*

Thanks for the intel. You don't find winners without a few losses along the way. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Botch
    Options
    I have enough turkey roast for one more sammich today, but after having one yesterday and diarrhea this morning, I think its time for the THANKSGIVING LEFTOVER THROWOUT.   :s 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Botch said:
    I have enough turkey roast for one more sammich today, but after having one yesterday and diarrhea this morning, I think its time for the THANKSGIVING LEFTOVER THROWOUT.   :s 
    Don't do it (throw out)....Risk it and see what tomorrow brings. ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Botch said:
    I second it. 
    Double dog dare ya! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Botch said:
    I second it. 
    Double dog dare ya! 
    I’m down to chopping up what’s left and putting it on a bagged salad. A heavy vinegar dressing should knock out the pathogens, right?
    It's a 302 thing . . .