Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    Changing battery
    @Canugghead - I first thought you had purchased a controller.  Lmao. 
    Haha, it’s a controller that controls our lives  :)
    canuckland
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @DuckDogDr Quality time for sure. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    It’s official. 2020 year of the WAP
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Thanks @johnmitchell
    @SciAggie this year we seem to really understand each other..we're definately "hanging out" vs having to correct and guide at this point 
  • First real snow of season, probably need two more installments when it's done around midnight. Wet and heavy, so it's easier to divide and conquer.

Us too. I didn’t deal with it last night, but will probably get out to clear it early this am. Got a new snowblower that I scored for about 50% of sticker price last summer, so we’ll see how she fares.

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    @GrateEggspectations - No OSHA inspectors on that job. Those platforms near the top of the ladder at least kept their feet on a flat surface. Sent you a PM. Now get out there and get at that snow removal. =)
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    @GrateEggspectations my lot size is smaller, don’t bother pulling out the snowblower unless it’s a significant dump. Remember about 12 years ago when snowblowers were sold out everywhere in Ontario? The following summer I drove over to Buffalo and picked up a Honda single stage, love it.
    canuckland
  • ColtsFan said:
    It’s official. 2020 year of the WAP
    Somebody had a good night!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    Fish I think you're supposed to take the cap off the nut or bolt before using a socket.

they come off with a chisel and are recessed down into the rim tight
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Eoin said:
    dbCooper said:
    Botch said:
    I  said:
    never worked so hard changing lug nuts on a vehicle. near three hours and i used an impact gun, then borrowed a bigger one. looks like water got into the ss bonnet caps, expanded half, and corroded into the aluminum rim. ended up using a sledge hammer to fit the socket over the lugs and pressing the lugs out afterwards in a vise. well new lugs and lots of never seize. any one need a slightly used set of lug nuts

Had a lug nut seize really bad last year. Bought myself a set of sockets specifically for removing seized nuts. Made removal simple. I recommend. 

one of the problems was that the ss cap on the nut expanded enough to spin on the nut. i had to hammer a 15/16 socket on, then swedge it down more with a 7/8, then hammer on a size 22 impact socket. this worked on some, others i used a drill and chisel to remove some of the bonnet. ive had penetrating oil on them for weeks. bent a 3/4 inch breaker bar as well
    Good Grief!   :o 

Whenever I'd buy new tires Dad always insisted I break the nuts loose, add a drop or two of oil, and torque to specs.  Worth doing when you're fixing a flat on a rainy night, or it's -10º w/howling wind.    

I believe lubricated threads, for a given torque reading, results in a higher tension on the threads.  That may or may not be an issue for a particular application but, your connection will be tighter than a "dry" connection.
    For sure disassembly will be easier with the lube in place.
    You are correct.  Running torque is decreased with lubricated threads.  The change can be significant.  However, if you use an actual torque wrench, your clamping force will still be way less than the service techs who hit it full bore with an impact wrench.  Lug nuts have a very wide margin.

In a perfect workd, you measure running torque and offset your clamping torque.
    Where torque is critical, the process usually involves a relatively low initial torque reading to cinch the parts and then it's an angular measurement.  That gives a reproducible shaft stretch because of the pitch and mechanics of the threading.  At least that's what I've deduced.

I'll use a torque wrench for engine parts where it's critical, but for most stuff it's pointless trying to be that accurate and feel is just as good.
    Most seasoned mechanics can torque non-critical bolts in that range where it won't damage anything nor come loose.

That said, it is critical some things be torqued evenly and properly....even where torque wrenches are insufficient.   When I put the head on my truck engine, manual said to buy new bolts, torque them to some low torque in a sequence, then tighten x degrees in sequence, the y more.  Same with the flywheel on my Porsch.

some of the big high speed highly balanced pumps i put together last year go further with dry fit torque, wet fit with an oil, and zinc paste fit like with a never seize. you really want new bolts and the dry fit spec. the truck nuts went on with never seize and a breaker bar and retightened at camp
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    8 foot lathe....24 foot shaft.  there doesnt seem to be directions in the manual for this........

fukahwee maine

• 8 foot lathe....24 foot shaft.  there doesnt seem to be directions in the manual for this........

Not every man can say he's seen a 24 foot shaft up close and personal there, Fish. I recommend asking the next lady you meet in the bar if she's ever seen one.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    8 foot lathe....24 foot shaft.  there doesnt seem to be directions in the manual for this........

Not every man can say he's seen a 24 foot shaft up close and personal there, Fish. I recommend asking the next lady you meet in the bar if she's ever seen one.  

ive got this old recipricating saw........there may be a project here

fukahwee maine

• MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,359
    I would devour those pairs 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    @SonVolt just ignore these too clowns, their just been asshats.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited November 2020
    D'oh, brain fart. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    That is a great money shot and banquet right there.  Nailed that cook.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429

Ooh, the chess set I could make with that...

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• That is awesome @fishlessman
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• briwald
    briwald Posts: 103
    Watching youtube videos on how to debone a turkey breast for Thursday's cook.
    Maitland, FL
    XL BGE since 2019