Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Forum Fundraiser for Operation BBQ Relief, Special Zoom Session

This was something we kicked around last Friday night on the Zoom call.  We thought with everything going on, the fires out West, the recent hurricane that ravaged the panhandle, and the pandemic in general, we might try and raise some money as a group to support a worthy cause.  Everyone agreed that Operation BBQ Relief (OBR) was very much a worthy non-profit to support right now.

If you aren't familiar with OBR, they travel around the country in a kind of rapid-response manner, cooking up Q and serving it to people in need.  There have been mini-fundraisers for them here before and several forum members have actually volunteered for them.  They are by all accounts a high-quality organization.  You can read more about them and their current deployments, here: https://operationbbqrelief.org/

I contacted them and described what we had in mind, and they encouraged us to set up a GoFundMe where all the donations pass directly through to them.   That GoFundMe is now set up, and if you'd like to donate and be counted towards our fundraiser here on the forum, you can do so at this page: 

https://www.gofundme.com/f/egghead-forum-friday-night-fundraiser

I want to be perfectly clear here that while the page has my handle on it, none of the funds will come to me at any point.  Everything goes directly to OBR.  We've set a pretty modest goal of $1000 here that I hope this group will be able to smash right through.  

To help provide a little bit of a carrot here, we've also set up a special Zoom session for Friday October 2nd and Saturday October 3rd.  Here is the link to that:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85354161744

The session is password protected and the password for this will be different from the one we have been using.  If you'd like the password, we just ask that you donate to OBR, either directly on their site or through the GoFundMe we've set up.  It's on your honor but once you've done that, PM me and I'll be happy to relay the password.  Of course if you'd prefer just to donate to OBR and don't want to bother with the Zoom session that is OK too!  

We'll start at 5pm on the 2nd and run all the way through Saturday, with folks dropping in and out.  If you're interested in cooking during that to show some of the newcomers here the ropes, just post your plans and rough cook time in this thread.  

Thank you for your time, and let's get R done!    
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Awesome, John.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,166
    Great work John.  Gonna be a he!! of a two day session.  I will start the training program today  B)  Hopefully we not only smash the goal but have great participation in the wide open virtual watering hole. Game on!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    I love it when a plan comes together, nice work sir!
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • And we're off!  $150 raised already!  
  • I'm in as well. Just donated

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • This should give our friends across the pond another opportunity to jump on as well.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,007
    edited September 2020
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker @JohnInCarolina I’m in. I’ll be broadcasting from our back garden I’ve got something to show the collective. I’ll see if I can persuade Mrs. Stormbringer to model it. 😂
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    It will be like a Zoom-o-thon!  
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • We're at $525 raised already.  Nice work everyone!
  • I like this - donation sent - Thank You for putting this together!  
    Stuart
    Burlington/Alamance County, NC
  • I like this - donation sent - Thank You for putting this together!  
    We got it - thanks!  
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    Done, OBR is a great Organization 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    edited September 2020
    Glad to see this happening......
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Wow we're at $925.  That ... was fast.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Done!
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• I’m in!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Well we passed our goal inside of a single day.  Damn.  Nice work everyone.  Let's keep it going and we'll have a real nice party with the Zoom session in a couple of weeks.  You folks are pretty awesome.  
  • lousubcap
    For that record performance we can let everyone make and consume their own favorite beverages to carry them thru the marathon.  At least the bartender is local on every front.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Done
    Donated and should be on for the early (for you guys) kick off on the 2nd. We were supposed to be off to visit William in Wales, but further Covid lockdowns are now in place so likely will be about.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Eoin said:
    Donated and should be on for the early (for you guys) kick off on the 2nd. We were supposed to be off to visit William in Wales, but further Covid lockdowns are now in place so likely will be about.
    Prince William of Wales?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Eoin said:
    Prince William of Wales?
    Charles is still Prince of Wales, next in line to Her Maj. William is our son, he's 17 and lives away at a special college in South Wales, he's autistic with severe learning difficulties. It's been hard to visit with the lockdowns and covid restrictions, we had the weekend of the 2nd booked, but that area is now restricted travel.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    In. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited September 2020
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    Prince William of Wales?
    Charles is still Prince of Wales, next in line to Her Maj. William is our son, he's 17 and lives away at a special college in South Wales, he's autistic with severe learning difficulties. It's been hard to visit with the lockdowns and covid restrictions, we had the weekend of the 2nd booked, but that area is now restricted travel.
    Edited: my reading comprehension is terrible. Our previous life  and the ease of travel seems but a distant memory.  Good luck my friend, hope you can reschedule.
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Giddy-up, I'm in!  

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• lousubcap
    Keep it rolling. Strong right out of the gate!