Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Next up ... Turkey

Options
Can't believe Canadian Thanksgiving is just over 3 weeks away! CRAZY!

Ok, so I plan to get a big boy ... probably 15 lbs or more. I want to cook it on the egg.

What are the recommendations for cook temp and approx time .... I'm thinking 375F and 1h per lb?
I plan on putting it into a aluminum baking pan to catch the drippings, and load that up with carrots, onions and some herbs.

I don't think I'll stuff the turkey ... we'll get stuffing as a side from the grocery store. Want to keep it simple for the first one.

Timing will be tricky ... I guess at 375F I can easily overnight it ... but if the cook is ruined, I'll be in big trouble with the entire family ... also worrying about whether coals will last 15h at that high of a heat.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!

Comments

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I figure 15 minutes per pound at 325-350.   So, probably 3-3.5 hours at 375°. 

You will need to cover the breast part way through because the skin will brown quickly with the reflection from the dome. 

They are fun and cook pretty fast on the egg because of the reflection off the dome.

I recommend brining. 
    Clinton, Iowa
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options
    Spatchcock that bad boy. Only way to fly. I hit under the skin with softened butter and either cajun seasoning or Mad Max from DP
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Turkey is definitely not an overnight cook that requires an hour per pound of cooking time at 375. I assume one of those is a typo. I will second what @ColtsFan says about a spatchcock, which is the only way I do turkey now. The two caveats for spatchcock, however, are the presentation is not ideal if you care about that sort of thing and want to carve at the table or something like that, and 15 pounds is on the larger end of the scale for a spatchcock in a large BGE, although I have done them that large with good results. If you have an XL it won't matter. I will also add, don't go crazy with the smoking wood because that is the fastest way to screw it up. I like a bit of cherry wood which gives the bird a great bronze color.
    Stillwater, MN
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,079
    Options
    Mad Max method has never disappointed in the 10 or more years I've used it.  The gravy is outstanding, highly recommend that is not omitted.  Have a look here...

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • mpenacho
    Options
    I've made three turkeys in the 20-25 pound range using the "smoked brined turkey" recipe from the BGE website (https://biggreenegg.com/recipes/smoked-turkey/).

Each time the turkeys came out amazing, and we had very little leftovers.  I did use the 'ice the breasts' mode with a plastic bag full of ice an hour before cooking, and when the breasts were done, the entire turkey was done.  I plan to do the same this year (and I have a bag of Rockwood stashed just for this purpose!).

One interesting note - I kept the temperature pretty consistent, and never let it get too high.  Each time though, the turkeys were done about an hour before I expected them to be.

LBGE, XLBGE
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Good advice above.  Only thing I would add is that it is easy to oversmoke poultry.  Get good clean smoke and if you use some smoking wood, don't use much.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mark_B_Good
    Options
    Thanks guys, awesome advice. No, I didn't make a typo, I am a newbie here.  I haven't read the mad max method, so should I rather be cooking at 325 to 350F range, instead of 375F?

Ok so at 15 minutes a lb, I'm in for a 4h cook at 325F (15 lb to 16 lb).

I do have an XL, so I could spatchcock, but does that mean I can't put it in an aluminum pan with a bunch of vegetables going at the same time, and chicken broth?
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I cut a frozen stick of butter in half. Then put a half stick between the skin and meat on each breast. I usually spatchcock.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    mad max makes for a great gravy, its all about the gravy. i mix herbs with rendered duck fat and freeze. cut disks out of it and slip it under the skin on the breasts as well. stuffing gets bitter when smoked so theres a second bird stuffed in the oven. the people that claim they dont like a smoked bird seem to eat the smoked bird over the oven bird and next year claim the same thing again
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Mark_B_Good
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    Mad Max method has never disappointed in the 10 or more years I've used it.  The gravy is outstanding, highly recommend that is not omitted.  Have a look here...

I just went through this ... WOW!  I cannot believe he took all the time to write that out.... that is incredible!

I think I'm going to be going with this recipe ... it does have things in common with what others have been suggesting too, like cooling down the breasts with ice.

Thanks man!!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Mark_B_Good
    Options
    Thanks WeberWho! You just reminded me to inject some broth! Why doesn't mad max do that, especially to protect the breasts ... it must make things even more juicy, no?
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Thanks WeberWho! You just reminded me to inject some broth! Why doesn't mad max do that, especially to protect the breasts ... it must make things even more juicy, no?
    I used to do the Mad Max Method but I switched over to injecting and I haven't looked back. 

I didn't want to ruin any turkey purists day so I decided to smoke two turkeys a few years back. One turkey with basic spices and rub and the other injected.

The injected turkey was demolished. Gone. Carcass. The other turkey was hardly touched. Injecting is the way to go. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Mark_B_Good
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I used to do the Mad Max Method but I switched over to injecting and I haven't looked back. 

I didn't want to ruin any turkey purists day so I decided to smoke two turkeys a few years back. One turkey with basic spices and rub and the other injected.

The injected turkey was demolished. Gone. Carcass. The other turkey was hardly touched. Injecting is the way to go. 
    I'm going to try a hybrid ... I'm going to inject, and I'll follow the mad max recipe ... I cannot see why the two cannot be combined.

When you inject ... do you mostly inject in the breast, and liberally ... or pretty much everywhere?
  • WeberWho
    Options
    WeberWho said:

I'm going to try a hybrid ... I'm going to inject, and I'll follow the mad max recipe ... I cannot see why the two cannot be combined.

When you inject ... do you mostly inject in the breast, and liberally ... or pretty much everywhere?
    Timing should be around the same. Just remember the Mad Max turkey takes longer than your typical turkey with the cavity being filled. 

I inject throughout the turkey. 

The only issue I see with injecting and the Mad Max turkey is all the extra juice/droppings into your collection for gravy below. The injection turkey collects a ton of juice/run off. It might not hurt anything and could possibly help but just a heads up.

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    Options
    pan depth changes the times as well, max uses a deep pan and i cook in a more shallow one. mine cook a few hours quicker
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    heres my favorite way to cook a turkey, wont pass for tday with the family though

fukahwee maine

• Mark_B_Good
    Options
    heres my favorite way to cook a turkey, wont pass for tday with the family though

Damn that looks good!  But if I do that, my wife will kick me in the n*tts.
  • fishlessman
    Options

Damn that looks good!  But if I do that, my wife will kick me in the n*tts.

i do this early spring, usually during a fishing trip. what ive taken to do is cooking two smaller birds for tday, one with stuffing traditional in the oven and one mad max style to make everyone happy. usually two 14 pound birds for lots of leftovers and soup
    fukahwee maine

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg

(you cut out the backbone and cook opened)

I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2  hr cook app)

Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. 

Or, just add a package of legs extra. 

I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. 

If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) 

I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.

I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.

NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)

I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. 

Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 165 and thigh @ 175

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)

Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee..

Equal part: Brown Sugar..

½ part: Black Pepper..

½ part: Kosher Salt..

½ part: Garlic Powder..

¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder..

Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mark_B_Good
    Options
    Well, government said we are officially in the 2nd wave, and slowly they are tightening up rules. We are restricted to gatherings of up to 1p indoors and 25 outdoors.

So my wife decided we are doing Thanksgiving tomorrow, as the weather is good and we can accommodate the family outside. 

Going with the mad max method, but will inject broth as well. The turkey is just over 17 lbs, which I think will take a little over 4 hours to cook. Meal is for 2:30 to 3 pm window, so I will get the fire going around 8:30  to 9 am to be safe. Get it on by 9:30 am or as soon as fire is stable.

Wish me luck!
  • Foghorn
    Options
    You got this.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mark_B_Good
    Options
    She went in 1h ago ... prep took longer than I expected. Still okay, will be ready at 3 pm.

• Mark_B_Good
    Options

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Success. Wow that gravy is good. Lots of work to make, but it was worth it. Cooked breast and thigh to 166 and 165F. The two temperatures came very close together at the end. Was just over 17 lbs to start and took around 5 hours to reach internal temperature. Gravy took about 30 min.

Everyone loved it.

• Foghorn
    Options
    Well played.  

San Antonio, TX

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I guess at 375F I can easily overnight it 
    Sounds like sawdust.  Pay attention to the good advice as it will take a lot less time.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Mark_B_Good
    Options
    I guess at 375F I can easily overnight it 
    Sounds like sawdust.  Pay attention to the good advice as it will take a lot less time.

Yeah, the guys corrected me right away on that. I used the mad max method today, it turned out amazing. See photos above.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,079
    Options
    Looks just great.  That gravy gets easier the more you do it.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA