Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Scallops and wings - made dinner for my friend who gave me a XXL BGE

Options
Scallops, wings, burgundy mushrooms, smashed potatoes, zucchini, pineapple bacon shrimp (not pictured), and an appetizer with olives, grapes, feta cheese that was served on crackers.

Didn't get any pics to prove it was cooked on the egg.  But all of it was except the potatoes and zucchini.  

Thanks for looking.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    I need better friends. 
    No doubt.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Oh, yeah!  Beautiful scallops!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Now he is pi$$ed at the gift!  Great cook right there.  Congrats!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TideEggHead
    Options
    All of it looks great, but those scallops look top notch! Well done!
    LBGE
    AL
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    You did XXL justice.  What are the chances they'll buy your neighbour's house ? =)
    canuckland
  • the_crease
    Options
    Everything looks terrific.  Love the sear on the scallops especially. 
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks.  Did the scallops on cast iron on the egg.  

San Antonio, TX

• CigarCityEgger
    Options
    Killer meal, everything looks superb! 
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    4TheGrillOfIt Posts: 741
    edited September 2020
    Options
    “Friends like these...huh, Gary?”  “You said it, Dude.”
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    "Surf and Sky"  looks delish, Dan. 
    Man o man, I’m looking around to see what I can give you! 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Scallops and wings, interesting combo, but looks great.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks @RyanStl.  You actually picked up on something.  The scallops were a dietary request of the guest of honor.  I cooked the wings because my wife is not a big fan of seafood - and it isn't really a cookout a my place if I haven't cooked too much.

After dinner, when I debriefed with my wife, we both agreed that while each piece of the meal was really good, it didn't really go well together.  For example, while I know I could have done mushrooms in white wine instead of red, I decided I like red better and I envisioned they would go well with the scallops - but they didn't.  They belong with beef.  And when I made my wing sauce (a mixture of 3 storebought sauces) I decided that a hotter than usual brand of Buffalo sauce I had open in the refrigerator was fine and I didn't need to buy the usual brand - but that proved to be a mistake as that flavor overwhelmed the rest of the sauce and was so hot that it was challenging to appreciate the other food.

So, at this point, I'm not going to advocate for scallops and wings as a great combo - but I'm also not ruling it out, because the execution of the plan left a lot to be desired.

San Antonio, TX

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,079
    Options
    Looking at those pics, might be your friend got the better end of the deal.  The scallops are amazing.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks @dbCooper.  The scallops were a hit - but the biggest hit was the potatoes.  I couldn't believe it. 

San Antonio, TX

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    It all looks wonderful, but speaking of those potatoes, @Foghorn, can you describe what you did with those.
    Stillwater, MN
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Foghorn said:

I don’t even know what to say... 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

Simply phenomenal brother horn.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    So, at this point, I'm not going to advocate for scallops and wings as a great combo - but I'm also not ruling it out, because the execution of the plan left a lot to be desired.
    That's kind of funny... I thought it all looked great but the wings caught my eye! (and I also like making scallops. so easy and so rewarding.)

Your post above, though, made this quote jump to mind...   =)

Now, how about the recipe for those potatoes?  :)

LBGE/Maryland
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @KiterTodd, you are not wrong about my lack of a method.

and @StillH2OEgger,

For the potatoes, I do a variation on this recipe:

https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a10944/crash-hot-potatoes/

Instead of cooking them in the oven I usually do them on the grill for 35-45 minutes at about 350 - until they are somewhat crisp on the outside and fluffy on the inside.  I just season them with black lava salt and fresh ground pepper because I like seeing the black spots all over them - but obviously you can put whatever spices you want on them.  The hardest thing is to remember to put the olive oil on the foil BEFORE the potatoes - then more olive oil on top of the potatoes.  It's almost impossible to use too much olive oil...

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    SGH said:
    Foghorn said:

@SGH, I'm proud that I left you speechless and I didn't even mention that I seared them on cast iron after coating them in melted butter with a MST (metric sh!t ton) of chopped fresh garlic then covering them with cajun rub from "The Gumbo Shop" restaurant in New Orleans.

San Antonio, TX

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Thanks @Foghorn

I'll be trying those potatoes this week! Going to smoke and pull a couple Chuck Roasts and these will go perfect with it.

LBGE/Maryland
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @KiterTodd, if you get short on time, you can microwave the potatoes until they are soft, but they don't end up being as fluffy in the middle - so boiling is preferred.  

Microwaving works on weeknights.

San Antonio, TX

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I can make a meal off those mushrooms alone (actually need crusty bread). They are definitely worth the time if you've got a day available. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    favor paid back x10000000000.

Awesome cook, expected nothing less.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • gonepostal
    Options
    As good as everything looks, I'll have to admit that the potatoes really caught my eye. Thanks for posting the details. They will be cooked in our house soon. 
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    SGH said:
    Foghorn said:

@SGH, I'm proud that I left you speechless and I didn't even mention that I seared them on cast iron after coating them in melted butter with a MST (metric sh!t ton) of chopped fresh garlic then covering them with cajun rub from "The Gumbo Shop" restaurant in New Orleans.
    This combo would go over well this side. Caliqueen loves scallops, and I love garlic. 

I sort of like your wings too. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    "I sort of like your wings too. "

@caliking, I know how hard it was for you to admit that publicly.  I suspect that you feel a lot better now.  

I'll try to be less of a d-bag about wings going forward.  No promises.

San Antonio, TX