Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Scallops and wings - made dinner for my friend who gave me a XXL BGE

Options
2»

Comments

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Thanks @RyanStl.  You actually picked up on something.  The scallops were a dietary request of the guest of honor.  I cooked the wings because my wife is not a big fan of seafood - and it isn't really a cookout a my place if I haven't cooked too much.

After dinner, when I debriefed with my wife, we both agreed that while each piece of the meal was really good, it didn't really go well together.  For example, while I know I could have done mushrooms in white wine instead of red, I decided I like red better and I envisioned they would go well with the scallops - but they didn't.  They belong with beef.  And when I made my wing sauce (a mixture of 3 storebought sauces) I decided that a hotter than usual brand of Buffalo sauce I had open in the refrigerator was fine and I didn't need to buy the usual brand - but that proved to be a mistake as that flavor overwhelmed the rest of the sauce and was so hot that it was challenging to appreciate the other food.

So, at this point, I'm not going to advocate for scallops and wings as a great combo - but I'm also not ruling it out, because the execution of the plan left a lot to be desired.
    I think you are being to hard on yourself. I do the same though.
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    WOW just WOW!  Great friend and an even better cook!  You had me at Burgundy mushrooms.  Making my mouth water. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    "I sort of like your wings too. "

@caliking, I know how hard it was for you to admit that publicly.  I suspect that you feel a lot better now.  

I'll try to be less of a d-bag about wings going forward.  No promises.
     Personal growth is my goal for this year 😁

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    caliking said:
    Foghorn said:

@caliking, I know how hard it was for you to admit that publicly.  I suspect that you feel a lot better now.  

Personal growth is my goal for this year 😁
    You've got plenty of time.  It's still March right?

March the 196th.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I made yer taters tonight @Foghorn along with some pulled chuck roast I spun on the JoeT and braised to finish.  This picture does not do it justice.  I should have taken a picture of the potatoes in the pan on the grill with the slight crisp forming on the tops.

In any case, the family loved them as did I. It was a perfect side to this juicy shredded beef.

Here's a better shot of the Chuck Roast as it was falling apart in my hands...

LBGE/Maryland
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @KiterTodd, that looks outstanding.  I can't take credit for the potato recipe.  I got it from someone on here a few years ago - and whoever that was referred me to the link well above.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Excellent cook Foggy. The photo's tell it all.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • briwald
    briwald Posts: 103
    Options
    I'd like to have a friend who gives me an XXL BGE!  Most of my friends can't cook for sh!t, so the XXL would be better off with me. 
    Maitland, FL
    XL BGE since 2019

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Sure looks like a lot of veggies.... but it all looks awesome.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Foghorn
    Options
    20stone said:
    Yeah, @20stone - the ratio is a little off for my typical gathering.  But one of our guests has had a number of diverticulitis flare-ups and is trying to keep things cooled down long enough to have an elective colon resection... another (who you know) has lost 36 pounds and I wanted to respect his diet...

So, we avoided my usual "beef and pork - with sides of pork and beef" cookout.

San Antonio, TX

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    20stone said:
    Yeah, @20stone - the ratio is a little off for my typical gathering.  But one of our guests has had a number of diverticulitis flare-ups and is trying to keep things cooled down long enough to have an elective colon resection... another (who you know) has lost 36 pounds and I wanted to respect his diet...

So, we avoided my usual "beef and pork - with sides of pork and beef" cookout.
    1. TMI re one of your guests
    2. I respect the ability to accommodate folks dietary restrictions/quirks - I always have a lot of fun figuring out how to make gluten free vegan whatever taste good.  Indian recipes are usually a great start
    3. The food all looks awesome
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Foghorn said:

That’s funny right there, lol. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon