Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is it a steak or is it a roast?

All caught up in the Raven's season opener, about 2:30 in the afternoon I realized there was nothing in the fridge for dinner.  I sent the dear wife on a quest to find steak in the freezer - of course she decided to do a complete inventory and reorganization of the upstairs freezer which required multiple game interruptions, she needing my expertise in identifying various frozen blocks of meat.  Fortunately, the Ravens had the game well in hand, so they did not need my undivided attention.  Anyway, she brought me this 2.5-3.0 pound block of -4° ice-meat which I ID-ed as the last remnant of a primal bone-in prime rib-eye purchased pre-COVID from Costco.   Not knowing how long it would take to thaw, I dropped it in the SV at 130°.  

I've recently been reading about a technique which has one plunge the steak into an ice bath after SV.  I think this accomplishes 2 things: 1) allows for substantial searing without overcooking and 2) helps the meat regain firmness after becoming floppy in the hot bath.  So, after about 3 hours in the tub, I iced it for about 10 minutes, then dried it and let sit at room temp until the egg and I were ready.

Egg was at 400°+.  I gave the meat a light coat of evoo along with plenty of salt & pepper.  It was on the egg a total of about 15 minutes - about half of that with the dome open.  Lots of flipping and rotating and getting every edge seared.  7 minute rest and then sliced.  Served with twice-baked potatoes (also from the freezer).  Somehow I managed to not foul it up.

Maryland, 1 LBGE

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Beautiful looking roasteak! 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    who cares. looks and bet it tasted grate too.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Looks like a perfectly cooked steak to me.  

What did your wife eat?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    I'd say anything that looks that fabulous can be called anything you like.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • As a roast it looks like a perfectly cooked, small roast.

As a steak, it looks like what my dreams are made up of.

I'm going with steak.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Now that is a victory banquet right there.  Gotta love audibles when they yield a touchdown.  Great cook and way to bring it home.  Congrats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I am in the ice bath then sear camp. It does exactly what you said. You can actually just cool it under cool tap water if you don’t want to throw all your good cocktail ice on a bag of steak. room temp is fine. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    It looks like a roast that has been cut into steaks to me. Whatever you want to call it, it looks fantastic to me.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Perfect looking stoast, we cook all our beef this way. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Perfect looking stoast, we cook all our beef this way. 
    "Stoast!"  There you go - I like it.  Thanks for all the kind words, everyone.  As good as this was, to be honest, maybe half as thick with twice the crust would be even better.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Appreciate the assessment- Crust is crust and as you note the thicker the steak the more that gets lost.  
    Regardless, you nailed it.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Outstanding!  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Looks perfect to me.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Upstairs freezer?! 

I need to tell my wife that this is a thing.  

Nice cook btw.  
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Upstairs freezer?! 

I need to tell my wife that this is a thing.  
    How did I not catch that?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    For clarification, the "upstairs freezer" is the one attached to the fridge in the kitchen.  It's one if those units with fridge above and freezer below and for me it's a big pain in the back (a$$), to sift through there looking for stuff.  We do have an inexpensive second fridge (see my "things that make men cry" post) in the basement which has a small freezer above, and when I joined Costco a few years ago (after joining this forum), I bought a small chest freezer - also in the basement.  And, yes, they are all jammed with odds and ends.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    I wish I had a basement and an upstairs fridge...great looking cook. 
  • briwald
    briwald Posts: 103
    Beautiful cook and GO RAVENS! (Baltimore boy, born and bred)
    Maitland, FL
    XL BGE since 2019

• Woadie
    Woadie Posts: 154
    Wonderful looking cook!