Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Community And Friday Night Foruming

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    edited September 2020
    Bump for your planning this Friday, 9/11.  19 years on!
    At some point in the evening I suggest a moment of silence.  We can sort out the particulars on site.  
    That leads to other avenues of reflection (or not) keeping politics and religion off limits.  
    Edit:  Doors open around 9 PM (EDT).  And again, many thanks to @JohnInCarolina for making this happen.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Bump.  Some suggested topics for tomorrow night:

Nobel Peace Prizes - Who Is Worthy?
    Kim Jong Un - Strong Leader or Bozo?
    Why Naturally Aspirated V8s are Overrated

Just kidding Frank ;)

I hope to be able to join at some point tomorrow night, but the wife and I have a virtual party of sorts to attend with neighborhood friends.  But as usual I will launch the session around the standard time and hope some of you fine folks get a chance to share a drink and some fun topics.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    @JohnInCarolina - just bring the party to the virtual watering hole.  What could go wrong??  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    Darn, I’d like to join to learn more about bidet (I have a feature packed unit and a mechanical valve cold water only unit) but it’s Celtics vs Raptors game 7, may be at halftime.
    canuckland
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    another topic, since 13 unopened sarcophagus's (sarcophagai?) were recently discovered:
    At what point, in years, does "Disrepecting the Dead/Grave Robbing" switch to "Archeology"?  I've always wondered about this.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited September 2020
    Bump.  Some suggested topics for tomorrow night:

Kim Jong Un - Strong Leader or Bozo? Or comatose?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    edited September 2020
    I have a suggested topic. You can all discuss when you are going to schedule your colonoscopy appointments. Maybe coordinate a prep party? Best flavor of Gatorade to mix with Miralax? Wipe or blot? Where does it all come from?
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    ColtsFan said:
    I have a suggested topic. You can all discuss when you are going to schedule your colonoscopy appointments. Maybe coordinate a prep party? Best flavor of Gatorade to mix with Miralax? Wipe or blot? Where does it all come from?
    Bidet  =)
    canuckland
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    ColtsFan said:
    3 years ago, doc piggybacked it with hernia surgery.  Much easier that way, but the prep is still the prep and not much fun at that.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Legume said:
    ColtsFan said:
    3 years ago, doc piggybacked it with hernia surgery.  Much easier that way, but the prep is still the prep and not much fun at that.
    What a bunch of babies. 8 year olds do their preps with MiraLax, and you don't hear a peep out of them.

A lot of loud (wet) farts, but nary a peep.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Being tethered close to the bathroom for hours and the constant TV interruptions was almost unbearable.  I managed to waddle through.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    caliking said:
    Legume said:
    ColtsFan said:
    What a bunch of babies. 8 year olds do their preps with MiraLax, and you don't hear a peep out of them.

Always the voice of reason.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited September 2020
    caliking said:
    Bump.  Some suggested topics for tomorrow night:

Kim Jong Un - Strong Leader or Bozo? Or comatose?

Nice to see the Kim Jong Un fans representing today. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    Deep Fried Bacon / Chicken Fried bacon.  I think it needs to be tried.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

It’s been done. A place north of Houston (Tomball) does chicken fried bacon. The Sheraton in Iowa City deep fried bacon on the regular, when we lived  there. It was delicious. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    caliking said:
    It’s been done. A place north of Houston (Tomball) does chicken fried bacon. The Sheraton in Iowa City deep fried bacon on the regular, when we lived  there. It was delicious. 
    Dang.  Behind the times again.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • lousubcap
    Just wrapped up another in the continuing Friday night Zoom virtual watering hole sessions of top shelf quality.  As always the conversation was spirited and extremely wide ranging.  
    I will get the summary out later this AM.  You will be sorry that you missed this one once you read the learning opportunities that were addressed.  Epic-though fitting the sustained pattern.  Worth a visit-at least once! 
  • Y’all missed the fun this evening when I dropped off for a while, my 7yo came out of her room and proceeded to puke on the carpet, then all over the bathroom, and she had already puked in bed before she came to the living room.  About got to see that fantastic dinner I had a 2nd time mid cleanup.  My wife missed out on the fun tonight.

Great seeing everyone, and thanks cap for MC’ing.
  • Y’all missed the fun this evening when I dropped off for a while, my 7yo came out of her room and proceeded to puke on the carpet, then all over the bathroom, and she had already puked in bed before she came to the living room.  About got to see that fantastic dinner I had a 2nd time mid cleanup.  My wife missed out on the fun tonight.

Great seeing everyone, and thanks cap for MC’ing.
    Was wondering where you went. I don’t miss those days. My kids get to clean their own puke now (25 & 21 years old). 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    @FarmingPhD - That is quite a way to wind up the evening.  Completely understand the high speed exodus.  
  • lousubcap
    As mentioned, what follows is my list of last night's topics appropriately edited. I am sure I missed a few and mangled a few as well. Feel free to edit.

Things focused on cooking and  various rigs
    -Grocery store commodity brisket
    - Various qualities of a brisket cook independent of meat grade
    - Skirt steak and a great recipe
    - Cilantro use or not
    - The Great American Hamburger book and how many ways can you dress a burger?
    - Pre-Thanksgiving sides and practice
    - Pea salad
    - Zing Zang or Spicy V-8 for shrimp flavoring
    - Beef ribs and all their glory
    - Pork rib cooks; how much effort do you put into the cook for flavoring, wrap or no wrap
    - Bend or toothpick test for the win?
    - Smoking bacon
    - Corn dogs and the business model/ corn dog condiments
    - Montreal smoked meat and keys to success
    - Stick burners; pro's and con's
    - Finding good deals on Ebay for smokers
    - Biscuit recipes
    - Bologna and potted meat-preservatives (do you really want to know?) and their nutritional benefits
    - How a certain shipping company hosed up delivery of a pizza oven and an order of wine (two completely independent examples from different members)
    - Chislics and South Dakota
    - The value of the money shot
    - Blue Star range
    - the pedigree of wood pellets (not all pellets are the same...)

Other learning opportunities:
    - Covid recovery and the lingering effects
    - High end recreational toy purchases
    - Alaska; the vastness, the land.  Impact of Covid on the tourism industry.  Recreational  salmon fishing after the Exxon Valdez oil spill
    - Speed limits and driving in Texas
    - Eminent domain and personal impact
    - Terminal velocity and the nether regions
    - Benefits of a home generator
    - DIY and electricity
    - Commercial flying thru Charlotte; fraught with challenges
    - First hand tales from the Lake Travis $hit show (politics delicately danced around)
    - Quote of the evening, "This bean bag smells like a dead hooker!"  (I did not make that up.)
    - The bidet tease; install on hold but there will eventually be a training lesson!
    - How not to teach/explain 9/11 to young children 
    - Today's young generation and their view of the world

A toast to Brent Alan Murphy.  A moment of silence for 9/11.  

Doors closed and lights out around12:30 AM (EDT).
    As you can see, there is plenty of room for anyone to pull up a chair and enjoy quite a range of conversation.  Many laughs, some more serious moments.  I am sure you will learn something along the way.
    Many thanks to @JohnInCarolina for hosting.
    Stop in one time and have fun.  Until the next one.  

• Had fun guys thanks for the entertainment!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• As a side note, I can see how things could go wonky at a petting zoo with this crowd.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• As a side note, I can see how things could go wonky at a petting zoo with this crowd.
    What happens in the petting zoo... stays in the petting zoo.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    As a side note, I can see how things could go wonky at a petting zoo with this crowd.
    What happens in the petting zoo... stays in the petting zoo.
    ...or it is treated with penicillin. 
    @lousubcap thats some pretty good note taking.nice work.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    caliking said:
    Legume said:
    ColtsFan said:

since we used to prep our patients with golytely, i decided i'd use it on myself when the time came.  god that was awful!!! PRO TIP: take zofran prior to embarking on the journey.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Bump.  Who's on for tomorrow night?