Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Uhmmm....

Options

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    I’m trying to imagine Melania teaching at a community college and... nope.
    I mean if it fit Vladimir's agenda I could see it.
    Ok, I got to get a T/O.

I need 1 Off topic to bat for the cycle. Somebody help a brotha out.
    Busch league. You need all 3 Flags too.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    I’m trying to imagine Melania teaching at a community college and... nope.
    I mean if it fit Vladimir's agenda I could see it.
    Ok, I got to get a T/O.

I need 1 Off topic to bat for the cycle. Somebody help a brotha out.
    Not this one , the original!
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    Do not chicks lives matter?  #CLM
    Do it now before more die in a post office.
    Something like that:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Something like that:

Umm, @JohnInCarolina , that is Crew.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Something like that:

Umm, @john@JohnInCarolina , that is Crew.
    That's correct.  Your point is... that it's not exactly fencing?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Something like that:

Umm, @john@JohnInCarolina , that is Crew.
    That's correct.  Your point is... that it's not exactly fencing?
    See, we are on same page.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    I dunno. 

Crossing swords. Coxman. 

Sometimes afoot here. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Rowing stroke? A true term in rowing...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Something like that:

Oof-dah.  I stared at that photograph for about 30 seconds, wondering what all those black guides, or branches, were, hanging off the oars.  :facepalm:  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Most people do not appreciate the fact that the boats do not balance themselves.  
  • nolaeggheads_squirel
    Options
    Something like that:

Not very similar, I fenced in school.  We had bi-sexual, or bi-lingual or bi-something.  All I remember is fighting girls, sometimes, and the goal was to touch.  Or touche' to add another French gift to us here.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I decided I cannot hang with the intellectual giants in this thread, so I will refrain for now.

Dang it, John is too fast!  Lol!
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Most people do not appreciate the fact that the boats do not balance themselves.  
    A properly designed boat (or is it a ship?) will absolutely balance without human intervention.

Your little speedy row boats probably do not though.
    A shell.

If you set up one of these on the water without anyone in them and without any oars, you'll have a hard time keeping it level.  They basically sit right up on the water and are very light, so the contact with the water is close to zero without anyone in them.  

Once you put rowers in them, all bets are off.  All eight rowers have to work carefully together.  Slight movements in the wrong direction by one rower and you're in trouble quickly.  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    A properly designed boat (or is it a ship?) will absolutely balance without human intervention.

A shell.

If you set up one of these on the water without anyone in them and without any oars, you'll have a hard time keeping it level.  They basically sit right up on the water and are very light, so the contact with the water is close to zero without anyone in them.  

Once you put rowers in them, all bets are off.  All eight rowers have to work carefully together.  Slight movements in the wrong direction by one rower and you're in trouble quickly.  

That is an interesting fact I never even thought about!  Is there an optimum total team mass?  I would bet at elite levels a boat is probably designed for the team rowing.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    At least you were the only one facing forward.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

A shell.

That is an interesting fact I never even thought about!  Is there an optimum total team mass?  I would bet at elite levels a boat is probably designed for the team rowing.
    There probably is an optimal team mass, but hitting that is next to impossible, for obvious reasons.  The emphasis is on endurance, strength, and an optimal balance of slow twitch and fast twitch muscle fibers.  

I've never heard of a boat being tailored to a specific team, even at the elite level.  
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options

A shell.

There probably is an optimal team mass, but hitting that is next to impossible, for obvious reasons.  The emphasis is on endurance, strength, and an optimal balance of slow twitch and fast twitch muscle fibers.  

I've never heard of a boat being tailored to a specific team, even at the elite level.  
    I would assume hulls are built to meet a standard design. Do different teams have the ability to design their own hulls?

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    JohnInCarolina said:
    There probably is an optimal team mass, but hitting that is next to impossible, for obvious reasons.   
    You obviously didn't wrestle, even at the high school level.  :tongue:  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    HeavyG said:

A shell.

I would assume hulls are built to meet a standard design. Do different teams have the ability to design their own hulls?

Like are there standards one must adhere too, similiar to Formula 1, or the clearly inferior Winston Cup?

There are probably lots of things one could do to reduce drag and thus reduce the energy required to reach a desired speed and maintain it.

I wonder of you could row fast enough for a hydrofoil?. Maybe dimple the bow like a golf ball?  Friction reducing coatings like teflon?
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Botch said:
    JohnInCarolina said:
    There probably is an optimal team mass, but hitting that is next to impossible, for obvious reasons.   
    There is actually an analog in rowing - lightweight crews.  There is both a maximum mass for the entire boat and then individual rowers as well.  So you see crazy things like athletes running around trying to lose a pound or two in sweat on the day of a race.

But I was always a heavyweight 8)
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:

A shell.

There are several name brand manufacturers of these things.   There are design differences between manufacturers for sure, and it’s very competitive.  But I’ve never heard of a team designing their own shell.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Had a college roommate who was a four -year rower as a light weight.  Remember thru the aging fog the drills he and the rest of them went thru to make weight.  
    Friday night fuel for sure-be there!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited August 2020
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Had a college roommate who was a four -year rower as a light weight.  Remember thru the aging fog the drills he and the rest of them went thru to make weight.  
    Friday night fuel for sure-be there!
    Man Cap, that was probably in the era of hollowed out log canoes!  Back when men were men.

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    I've followed this thread enough to know the following is OT (meaning serious), no apologies, you were warned.
    The rowing discussion made me recall an episode of a PBS series called American Experience.  It details the team from Washington St. that went to the 1936 Berlin Olympics.  They did not disappoint.  For those that enjoy a underdog story and have an hour to spare more information is here...
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    John likes being crammed on a long shaft w lots of other dudes....

He had to have been Navy at some time in his life.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Botch said:
    JohnInCarolina said:
    There is actually an analog in rowing - lightweight crews.  There is both a maximum mass for the entire boat and then individual rowers as well.  So you see crazy things like athletes running around trying to lose a pound or two in sweat on the day of a race.

But I was always a heavyweight 8)

I think y'all are breaking down the Archimedes principle...
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95