Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Uhmmm....

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    dmchicago said:
    I almost nailed Carol Hawkins in high school.
    @dmchicago -  Sounds like prime bar talk Friday night.  I'm sure we would all swear to a virtual non-disclosure once you finish the story.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    I’m just curious, but what is your engineering degree and where is it from?  Please elaborate on the correlation to the argument.

Also, https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2017/02/27/research-confirms-professors-lean-left-questions-assumptions-about-what-means

Looks like your profession is somewhat indicative of political bias. What a shocker...

AND, I am not here to blow smoke up my, or anyone else's ass. I am here to point out that you guys are consistently making the point that anyone who disagrees with your political stance is not only wrong, but an absolute idiot. Get over yourselves. You are not the authority on what is wrong and right.
    Aren't you the guy who asked for people to refrain from ad-hominem attacks, just upstream?

I answered your question about my background, even though I asked you first.  To be clear I prefaced it by stating that I was just curious.  I didn't anywhere suggest it was correlated to the argument.  You are the one who brought up the issue of your education, not me or anyone else here.  

I suppose at this point I won't hold my breath that you'll answer the question, but it seems you have a penchant for repeatedly returning to your own posts to edit them, so one can never really know for sure.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Methinks it’s the JD that is causing the knowitallism and general mental constipation.  But you can’t count out engineering.

Who said anything about data sets?  It’s two results offered up from some full analysis of the poll that was done and no conclusion offered.

JD?  Science school?  You sure?
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Something about bringing the wrong tools to a showdown comes to mind.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    edited August 2020
    how about non-whites without college degrees voting for Biden.....your comparison is totally garbage.

or how about anyone with a college degree and gainfully employed???

Or how about just getting over the fact that not everyone agrees with you?
    Simma down Moby. You should totally be a pollster, then you can post the results of your own polls and dispute some of these fly by night pollsters like Pew.
    Because Pew was so reliable prior to trump winning...

No idea what PEW presented in their findings and if it included all sorts of other data set results, but the presentation of those two data sets is incredibly flawed and trying to make a conclusion based on the flawed comparison. It is trying to say that only idiots vote for Trump.

I also extensively studied statistics and almost have a minor in math and degree in engineering as well as a JD. I can understand how polls are conducted and presented to show selective results. 
    You might be the first person I’ve seen to cite *almost having a minor* in something as a testament of their knowledge.  

I’m just trying to reconcile your statistical prowess with your contention that Pew isn’t reliable based on the 2016 election.

Statistics... how do they work?
    IDK, I mean a year of statistics, 4 years of science school calculus (which is substantially harder than the calc BA students take), 4 years of calculus based physics, 3 years of calculus based chemistry, 2 years of statics and dynamics, 1 year of thermodynamics, 2 years of computer programming, 2 years of optimization, and god knows what else I am missing, I think that qualifies me as somewhat of knowledgeable in math. It may be only "almost" a minor in math, but it is a BS in engineering.

My point is that I was essentially told that my knowledge on statistics, which is ALL math and how to compare data sets (which is what your do in essentially every engineering class) DOES in fact qualify me to at least opine of the relevancy of two data sets used to make a conclusion.

ALSO, with respect to PEW, they, along with EVERYONE else, was totally wrong, not even a little wrong, but totally out of the park wrong with all of their predictions and analysis of the data sets used prior to trump winning in 2016.

If you see some flaw in my reasoning, by all means, please state it. But the adhominem attacks... please just shut it....

I’m just curious, but what is your engineering degree and where is it from?  

As to the substance of your point, Pew’s last national poll in 2016 had Clinton up 46 to 40 over Trump.  The popular vote ended up being 48 to 46, so... yeah.  Way off, obviously.  Like not even in the same ballpark, just like you said...

But then I am only a professor of engineering with a secondary appointment in mathematics, so I’ll defer to your expertise here. 
    I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science from the University of New Hampshire.  I have an MS and PhD in Theoretical and Applied Mechanics from Northwestern.  

I have over 14 thousand citations to my research works and an h-index of 38.  My Google scholar page is here:

https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=XIihf9EAAAAJ&view_op=list_works&sortby=pubdate

Your turn.

University of Wisconsin. You have me trumped in academia. Is your point that because you have more education that I am wrong? In all your schooling you never learned how to argue properly. Law school taught me that part ;) See the pyramid of arguing I posted earlier.

Also, after my initial comment my knowledge on and justification for opining on polling was attacked. I supported it with education. 

Your turn.
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    how about non-whites without college degrees voting for Biden.....your comparison is totally garbage.

Simma down Moby. You should totally be a pollster, then you can post the results of your own polls and dispute some of these fly by night pollsters like Pew.

No idea what PEW presented in their findings and if it included all sorts of other data set results, but the presentation of those two data sets is incredibly flawed and trying to make a conclusion based on the flawed comparison. It is trying to say that only idiots vote for Trump.

I also extensively studied statistics and almost have a minor in math and degree in engineering as well as a JD. I can understand how polls are conducted and presented to show selective results. 
    You might be the first person I’ve seen to cite *almost having a minor* in something as a testament of their knowledge.  

I’m just trying to reconcile your statistical prowess with your contention that Pew isn’t reliable based on the 2016 election.

IDK, I mean a year of statistics, 4 years of science school calculus (which is substantially harder than the calc BA students take), 4 years of calculus based physics, 3 years of calculus based chemistry, 2 years of statics and dynamics, 1 year of thermodynamics, 2 years of computer programming, 2 years of optimization, and god knows what else I am missing, I think that qualifies me as somewhat of knowledgeable in math. It may be only "almost" a minor in math, but it is a BS in engineering.

My point is that I was essentially told that my knowledge on statistics, which is ALL math and how to compare data sets (which is what your do in essentially every engineering class) DOES in fact qualify me to at least opine of the relevancy of two data sets used to make a conclusion.

ALSO, with respect to PEW, they, along with EVERYONE else, was totally wrong, not even a little wrong, but totally out of the park wrong with all of their predictions and analysis of the data sets used prior to trump winning in 2016.

If you see some flaw in my reasoning, by all means, please state it. But the adhominem attacks... please just shut it....

As to the substance of your point, Pew’s last national poll in 2016 had Clinton up 46 to 40 over Trump.  The popular vote ended up being 48 to 46, so... yeah.  Way off, obviously.  Like not even in the same ballpark, just like you said...

But then I am only a professor of engineering with a secondary appointment in mathematics, so I’ll defer to your expertise here. 
    I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science from the University of New Hampshire.  I have an MS and PhD in Theoretical and Applied Mechanics from Northwestern.  

I have over 14 thousand citations to my research works and an h-index of 38.  My Google scholar page is here:

https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=XIihf9EAAAAJ&view_op=list_works&sortby=pubdate

Your turn.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• JohnInCarolina

Your turn.

University of Wisconsin. You have me trumped in academia. Is your point that because you have more education that I am wrong? In all your schooling you never learned how to argue properly. Law school taught me that part ;) See the pyramid of arguing I posted earlier.

Also, after my initial comment my knowledge on and justification for opining on polling was attacked. I supported it with education. 

Your turn.
    What was your major?

No, I was not trying to make any point with this question.  Thus my preface of "I'm just curious".  No point, just curiosity, you see?  

I would assume you learned how to read at some point in all of your schooling, but now I am starting to wonder.  
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I need popcorn.  Anyone else?

My two cents, or maybe three now with this raging economy.  I didn’t take any special thinking classes, but it occurs to me that Trump and blind allegiance is the problem, not conservatism.  So why aren’t people able to separate the two?

This election isn’t even ideological to me, it’s risk mitigation.
  • JohnInCarolina
    And your contention that you "learned how to argue" in law school is comical.  No, apparently you did not do that sir.  I'm not sure what you got out of your law degree, but it definitely wasn't debate skills.  
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    edited August 2020
    Not once have you stated why I am wrong with my initial statement. My credibility was attacked and I supported it with education. You then attack my education.

I'm done here. With the forum and all. Have fun being a teacher for the rest of your life. Try getting a job and participating in the economy, rather than leeching off of government funding.
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Legume said:

My two cents, or maybe three now with this raging economy.  I didn’t take any special thinking classes, but it occurs to me that Trump and blind allegiance is the problem, not conservatism.  So why aren’t people able to separate the two?

The housing market is scary. Why are prices still rising? A neighbor listed their house for the highest a non basement house in our hood has been listed last Friday. I was talking to her at the pool Sunday and they had 20 showings Saturday with 5 offers over asking. They are going to get $150 a sq ft and we live in one of the lower priced hoods around. I paid $89 a sq ft like 7 years ago.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Not once have you stated why I am wrong with my initial statement. My credibility was attacked and I supported it with education. You then attack my education.

I'm done here. With the forum and all. Have fun being a teacher for the rest of your life. Try getting a job and participating in the economy, rather than leeching off of government funding.
    JFC dude, yes I did.  Learn to read.   

And I didn't attack your education.  I asked you where your degree was from and what it was in.  That's not an "attack".  

As for the rest....good Lord.  
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Legume said:

Catch @Legume
    Popcorn Throw Thrown GIF - PopcornThrow Popcorn Thrown - Discover  Share  GIFs
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Money is cheap @Lit, good for sellers because I think many buyers think in terms of monthly payment.
  • Lit
    Legume said:
    Money is cheap @Lit, good for sellers because I think many buyers think in terms of monthly payment.
    I did mortgages out of college and you are correct when you ask people how much they want to spend usually they have a payment range in mind not a specific value. The problem is rates are so low that its driving up home values but rates cant stay that low forever. As soon as rates (payments) rise the home prices will drop. Also with all the renters not paying rent and no evictions allowed you would think all investors looking to rent it out would be out of the market. Unemployment rate is also scary. I cant figure it out.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    Lit said:
    Legume said:

The housing market is scary. Why are prices still rising? A neighbor listed their house for the highest a non basement house in our hood has been listed last Friday. I was talking to her at the pool Sunday and they had 20 showings Saturday with 5 offers over asking. They are going to get $150 a sq ft and we live in one of the lower priced hoods around. I paid $89 a sq ft like 7 years ago.

if i were to sell my house in maine i would advertise it in the nyc craigs list, they are paying anything to get out of the city, i would not be afraid of offering at 50 or more percent over fair market prices
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit
    Lit said:
    Legume said:

if i were to sell my house in maine i would advertise it in the nyc craigs list, they are paying anything to get out of the city, i would not be afraid of offering at 50 or more percent over fair market prices
    Someone else i was talking about this with mentioned all the people trying to get out of cities. Good point
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Legume said:

No. This is salty enough.

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • fishlessman
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Legume said:

Someone else i was talking about this with mentioned all the people trying to get out of cities. Good point

house next door sold the next morning to a guy from hartford conn.  he mentioned to someone that he was getting a divorce. got a cal that night and a guy drove up the next morning and bought it in 20 minutes
    fukahwee maine

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    I'm glad I have a big penis so I don't have to resort to citing my academic accomplishments to impress folks. 

Dodged a bullet, there.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523

well this explains a lot..

no wonder people either love @JohnInCarolina or hate him..

He's the real life Sheldon Cooper..

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    dmchicago said:
    Legume said:

No. This is salty enough.

More of a Garrett's Mix to me...
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• JohnInCarolina

I'm done here. With the forum and all. 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • fishlessman
    JRWhitee said:

might have something to do with th h-index of 38. its either in mm or cm and or he might blame it on the cold pool water
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    JRWhitee said:

might have something to do with th h-index of 38. its either in mm or cm and or he might blame it on the cold pool water
    h-index is really something that only academics know and talk about, thank God.  

By the way, Anthony Fauci's h is 220.  Make of that what you will...
  • fishlessman

x2,   thank god
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    JRWhitee said:

By the way, Anthony Fauci's h is 220.  Make of that what you will...

Anthony is known by the pseudonym "John Holms in Carolina" in academic circles.
    JRWhitee said:

But is that value diameter or circumference??
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk