Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Momofuku style sous vide fried chicken and okra

Options
The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
edited June 2020 in Off Topic
This was ridiculous. I got the Momofuku cookbook for Father’s Day. I have had several of the things in the book at his restaurants but the Bo Saam (pork shoulder) and fried chicken have been amazing. The fried chicken in his book is a little different than what I’ve had at the restaurant so this was a hybrid. In the book he steams the chicken and does not add any breading before frying. Just crisps up the skin in the fryer after steaming. I decided to Sous vide instead If steam  and It had a light beading when I had it In Vegas so I went that route as well. The “Octo Vin” dressing from the book is insane. 

We paired it with fried okra from the garden. Dredged in Sriracha buttermilk and then cornmeal/flour. 

Okra in the bath: 

Chicken and okra Drizzled with a little homemade chili oil and “Octo Vin” from the Momofuku cookbook. 

This was all crazy good. Pics don’t even do it justice. 
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Damn dude!!  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Leopoldstoch
    Leopoldstoch Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Looks awesome!! Great cook!

Brandon - Ohio

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Ya, this sounds like something I need in my belly. 

I’ve made his Bo Saam, and it was delicious. This needs to be next 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:

I’ll send you the recipe and mods we made. You can decide what you want to from there. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    dayum son
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Rolling in hot right there.  Great banquet.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:

The Bo Saam is next for me. I've had it several times but never made it.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Amazing! I have had good luck with fried chicken going SV first . . yours looks like a smorgasbord of flavor!  Could you send me recipe with mods as well ??   

I have never heard of "bo saam" . . something for me to research.  Nice cook.

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    NDG said:
    Amazing! I have had good luck with fried chicken going SV first . . yours looks like a smorgasbord of flavor!  Could you send me recipe with mods as well ??   

I will post it here. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,529
    Options
    Damn, may have to look into that book. Made Bo Saam couple of times and loved it. 
    canuckland
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Dude.  You're killing it.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Looks amazing.  I would crush a plate.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Brine the bird:

you can just sprinkle with salt and let sit in the fridge for a few hours to overnight or do liquid brine

liquid brine: 4 cups warm tap water (just hot enough to get things dissolved) 1/2 cup kosher salt 1/2 cup sugar. Submerge bird and brine 2-6 hours. 

after the brine he steams his chicken and says to use bamboo steamers if you are steaming at home. Sous vide is easier so I do that. It gets to the same place- to perfectly Pre-cook the meat so you are only frying for a few minutes to get it crispy. If doing Sous vide and using  both dark and light meat, bag them separately and place dark meat in for 2 hours at 154. Add light meat and cook another hour at same temp. If steaming like in the book, place dark meat in the lower basket and light meat in the upper basket of a bamboo steamer and steam for 45 minutes. 

Once the bird is cooked, for best results air chill in the forage for a couple of hours to overnight to dry out the skin. Bring to room temp before frying. I did not have time for this step and it was still perfect. For his version it may be more important. Because...

in the book he does not bread the bird or add any more seasoning. He just fries a brined bird to get the skin super crispy. When I had it at Momofuku it was breaded and delicious. I had some awesome cornmeal/flour breading with 5-spice for the okra so we decided to use that. It was awesome. I’ll do his way next time but I really wanted to get close to what we had at the restaurant and this recipe is very different from that. 

For the kicker- the “Octo Vin” as he calls it is pretty spectacular. It’s a vinaigrette of sorts with the oil/Vin ratio reversed (2x Vin to oil). They created it as the dressing for an octopus salad (hence the name Octo Vin) but they use it on everything. I can see why

his chicken recipe:

octo Vin recipe with my mods noted: (it was better after the mods btw) the shoyu (crack) in my notes is the Japanese Crack shoyu that I have mentioned on here a lot. It makes everything better but it has a very distinct flavor so I usually use it 50/50 with regular or light soy sauce. The tsp of fish sauce made a huge difference. Really added a lot of depth without being upfront. 

The crack and the fish sauce (which is like super crack). These are amazing ingredients. They are pricey but they are very pronounced in flavor so I just use a little at a time. 

I also drizzled the bird with our homemade chili oil along with the Octo Vin. 

Go forth and make it. Not a difficult cook but the payoff is well worth the extra efforts. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    NDG said:

His Bo Saam may be the best piece of pork shoulder I have ever put in my mouth. It’s just a lot of salt and a lot of sugar and cooked in an oven. He steams them at the restaurant right before service though. Wrap in lettuce with a little rice and his sauces and oh my gerd it’s good. 
  • caliking
    Options
    what's the cornmeal:flour ratio?

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    what's the cornmeal:flour ratio?

1:1 for the okra
    3:1 AP to cornmeal for the chicken. 
  • caliking
    Options
    Bo ssam from a while ago: https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1218732/bo-ssam-korean-pulled-pork

Its a good cook. The meat is simple, but flavorful. And the world's your oyster re: sauces, etc. Fun cook for a crowd, too.  

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Spank my Momma with a rigid yard stick !!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Nicely done!  That looks pretty amazing!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    You have really been knocking it out of the park lately. Another bookmark! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    That looks and sounds awesome!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    niiiice work! you say the pix don't do it justice but the bite marks on my phone say otherwise!

some day we should do a friday night zoom where we all cook a similar at the same time.  i'm pretty sure hilarity will ensue.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Fried chicken? I am all in. This meal looks delicious. I have done the sriracha in the buttermilk for fried chicken before, without seeing this, with what I would call a moderate success, however, this cook, I want to try.

Thank you for sharing. Beautiful results, as always.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Well I guess I am ordering this cookbook.  Good Lord.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I fried some chicken not too long ago without batter.Im not a fan.maybe the steam or sous vide makes it better.it looks good.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    texaswig said:
    I fried some chicken not too long ago without batter.Im not a fan.maybe the steam or sous vide makes it better.it looks good.

yeah- I am a little skeptical of the no breading as well. He does not even season the bird after the brine in the book recipe. Like I said, I've had his fried chicken at Momofuku. It was breaded and it was amazing. I can't see this one being any better (or even as good) as the one I had at the restaurant. We had 8 people and reordered the chicken 4 times.