Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lets Talk Whole Hog

ColtsFan
ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
Hi EggHeads,
I've volunteered to help SWMBO's uncle do a whole hog for the 4th of July. It's been 20 years since he's done one and I've helped friends in the past so we aren't complete noobs. My focus is going to be on prepping the pig; removing as much membrane, sinew, glands, etc. that I can. I also plan to separate the ribs from the backbone and remove some skin from the hams to expose more meat. I'll be injecting the hams, loins, shoulders with apple juice and Oakridge Game Changer.
The cook will be skin side down, no flip for the duration. I'll stage foil under the pig so that I can wrap areas if needed. Anything I'm overlooking? Tips and advice welcome.
~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Never done one so no help from me but here to learn.  Please post this epic cook if you can.  What are you cooking it on?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    please post the event.....What Size? I use Badia Mojo foran injection , rub only the inside and stay away from sugar, plan way more time than you think, especially if not fresh.............what king of pit? Open ,closed ?

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • ColtsFan
    @saluki2007 and @lkapigian it should be around 130lbs dressed. We'll be using a cooker similar to this

• FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 839
    Based on the pic of the cooker- I’m guessing this will not be rotisserie style?  From your comments are you breaking the hog down some into the larger chunks (ie roughly primals)?
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    ColtsFan said:
    @saluki2007 and @lkapigian it should be around 130lbs dressed. We'll be using a cooker similar to this

Load your coals heavier in the back and front , light in the middle....will be a fun cook............what I find is everyone wants to see tee pig and you are constantly lifting the lid ( if there are people there) adds so much time so resist the urge .....130 Pounds for me in my Stumps about 12 hours, my Klose Pit , more like you have there a bit longer but that can vary greatly 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    Sounds interesting.  By all means, if time permits please provide pictures at various stages.
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    Had an offset smoker/pig roaster long ago. We could do a 100# pig in 5 hours with a 180 rotation at the halfway point. Butterflied, bone side down. Man we burned some pecan in that thing and drank a lotta beer. We used to call pig roasts safety meetings. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I doubt @DMW would be able to stay awake for a pig roast. 😂

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    The hogs that I have cooked and helped cook....belly down for about half way....turn over and let it ride for a while and then start breaking it down and moping with a great sauce....for an hour or 2.....You got this!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    @lkapigian you ain’t cooking if your looking 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    A few people on here have done it, including me. My pig was 60lbs if I recall and I did it on the XL egg, without the head.

I soaked it in an ice bath and all sorts of rubs inside and out overnight. This added significant time to the cook since it went on the grill with a temp of about 35F. I did not plan on that and was a stupid move on my part. I think most recipes and cook times do not assume the starting temp is so low.

Have fun with the presentation. That is about 90% of the enjoyment as a whole pig cook is kind of a novelty IMO. If you pull and separate it all before guests arrive, you may as well cook a few racks and butts instead of a whole pig and save time/money/space.
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Save the sacred hole for @SGH
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    I've done a few.  The worst outcome I've had was when my injection AND my sauce both were fairly high in vinegar concentration and I overdid it.  Now I use vinegar in EITHER my injection OR my sauce.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• ColtsFan
    Well, I called a major audible today. Butcher will section the hog into 6 pieces. It should make my job easier. The crowd just won't get their "whole hog" experience

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    ColtsFan said:
    Well, I called a major audible today. Butcher will section the hog into 6 pieces. It should make my job easier. The crowd just won't get their "whole hog" experience
    Butt,  ham, ribs, jowls, belly...  loins?

NOLA
  • ColtsFan
    buzd504 said:
    ColtsFan said:
    Butt,  ham, ribs, jowls, belly...  loins?

Butts, Hams, Mid (belly,ribs and loins). Cheeks are going home with me :) I may break down the mids and separate loins from the ribs. Not really sure what to expect. Uncharted waters here. One thing is certain, it'll be good and fun

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,203
    The last whole hog I was involved in was stuffed with sauerkraut, seasoned, and wrapped in a foil cocoon. It was slow roasted over open coals for about 18 hours between two sections of chain link fence. When it was done they cut the foil open, pulled out the bones, and chowed down. Think of the most tender pulled pork you ever had. You could spread this on toast. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Teefus said:
    The last whole hog I was involved in was stuffed with sauerkraut, seasoned, and wrapped in a foil cocoon. It was slow roasted over open coals for about 18 hours between two sections of chain link fence. When it was done they cut the foil open, pulled out the bones, and chowed down. Think of the most tender pulled pork you ever had. You could spread this on toast. 

How was the sauerkraut?  That sounds amazing.
    NOLA